Colts' Andrew Luck (shoulder) will have no limitations at training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...quarterback-andrew-luck-good-go-training-camp

Colts' Andrew Luck (shoulder) will have no limitations at training camp

INDIANAPOLIS -- Good to go. No limitations.

Those are words that many have been waiting to hear for more than a year during the three-year saga surrounding Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck and his right shoulder.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard, speaking after a tour of the team's new training camp facility Friday, said Luck will take starting-quarterback reps when the team has its first practice on Thursday. Luck will not throw every day during training camp. The Colts, as was discussed during minicamp, want Luck to mimic the regular season as much as possible when it comes to his throwing.

"Andrew is an elite competitor and a pretty rare one," Ballard said. "I think we've seen that during his career. I think it's more of playing live football again. I don't think there's any mental restrictions. I think it's more of getting the live reps versus live people. That's the timing, getting used to moving in the pocket. All those are the things you have to get used to."

Being a full participant in practice is another step in what has been three years since Luck originally injured his right shoulder against Tennessee in Week 3 of the 2015 season.

Luck had surgery on his right shoulder in January 2017 after playing through pain in the shoulder during the entire 2016 season. He missed the team's offseason workouts, all of training camp and eventually the entire 2017 season after experiencing soreness that couldn't be remedied by a cortisone shot once he started practicing in the middle of October. Luck also spent about six weeks in the Netherlands rehabbing his shoulder in late 2017.

Luck threw a football in front of the media for the first time during the first two days of the team's mandatory minicamp in June. It was then that Ballard noticed up to five passes that Luck "really let it go" and the GM saw signs of him returning to form. Luck continued his training while also throwing to receivers out in California after the team broke for the offseason.

Ballard wasn't ready to say how much Luck will play in the preseason, but he knows that his franchise quarterback needs snaps because he hasn't played in a game since Week 17 of the 2016 season. The Colts' first three preseason games are against Seattle, Baltimore and San Francisco. They will also have two joint practices with the Ravens.

"He needs to play. ... But it is a fine line," Ballard said.

Because practicing is different from playing in a regular-season game, questions will likely continue about his availability until he plays in the Week 1 opener against Cincinnati. The quarterback has already said he plans to play in that game.

Luck was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft and led the Colts to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons. He has missed 26 games over the past three seasons because of injuries, including a lacerated kidney in 2015, after not missing a meaningful snap in his first three seasons.

"I still think we're going to get questions until he lines up and plays again and then plays high-level football again," Ballard said. "I can just see the panic the first time he throws an interception. I can see it. It's just part of what we do. He understands it. He gets it. Know what's been fun and neat is watching is his growth as a man and who he is. I've watched his confidence grow."

In other Colts news, Clayton Geathers (knee) likely will join fellow safety Malik Hooker (knee) on the physically unable to perform list at the beginning of camp. Both are projected to be starters. Starting left tackle Anthony Castonzo could also start on PUP, Ballard said, after he injured his hamstring while working out recently. If that happens, he would be on PUP for a short time.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So right now, who would you rather have, Goff or Luck?

I remember a Fisher Ram's team beating Andrew Luck & the Colts like a drum. So it's been since Week 17 in 2016 since he played a game? It seems WAY longer than that, which if you had asked me before reading the story I would have sworn it was 3 years. (Probably because of a failed surgery/recovery or two).

Luck seems to be an ok guy, but the illusion of him being a big strong QB, impervious to hits, is long gone for me. I look at the way Wentz plays, as though he's alternately a half back and a quarterback and I think ,"the next Luck?" I like that Jared is not thinking he's big and strong and a QB who can take on NFL LBers and win the battle. Yeah, I'll take Goff over either guy...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So right now, who would you rather have, Goff or Luck?

I've never been sold on Luck. He's been able to take major advantage in a weak division, maybe the weakest in the NFL while he was playing. IMO he's like Eli Manning, up and down.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never been sold on Luck. He's been able to take major advantage in a weak division, maybe the weakest in the NFL while he was playing. IMO he's like Eli Manning, up and down.
Yeah, I feel the same. Luck seems soft to me and always has. I said it before the Fisher Rams vs Luck's Colts that way and I was upbraided (dictionary word, folks!) by Rams fans at the time who were impressed by him...lol

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, I feel the same. Luck seems soft to me and always has. I said it before the Fisher Rams vs Luck's Colts that way and I was upbraided (dictionary word, folks!) by Rams fans at the time who were impressed by him...lol

Looking back it may have been very fortuitous (dictionary word backatcha) that they didn't end up getting Luck, Griffin, Winston or Mariota.

Watching Goff develop like he did with great coaching probably makes the fanbases in their respective cities really unhappy.

Especially in WASH where they gave up all the draft capital to get Griffin, and then watched as Cousins left town because the cheap ass management wouldn't give him a contract after three consecutive stellar seasons. I'm willing to bet they regret not making the offer that MINN did because it's 28MIL a year, only 6MIL per year than the two franchise tags cost them!!! Garrapollo is getting 27.5 just for comparison.

Cousins has completed 66 percent of his passes for 13,176 yards with 81 touchdowns compared to 36 interceptions over the past three seasons. Guys like that are not the type you let get away. Yeah they got Alex Smith, but one has to wonder why the Chiefs let him walk for a guy with one game on his resume.

Snyder is an asswipe and deserves to never have a winning season ever again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is good news for The NFL in general. He is a good guy & fun to watch play.

Watson I hope is 100% as well.A fantasy Stud !!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Especially in WASH where they gave up all the draft capital to get Griffin, and then watched as Cousins left town because the cheap ass management wouldn't give him a contract after three consecutive stellar seasons. I'm willing to bet they regret not making the offer that MINN did because it's 28MIL a year, only 6MIL per year than the two franchise tags cost them!!! Garrapollo is getting 27.5 just for comparison.

Cousins has completed 66 percent of his passes for 13,176 yards with 81 touchdowns compared to 36 interceptions over the past three seasons. Guys like that are not the type you let get away. Yeah they got Alex Smith, but one has to wonder why the Chiefs let him walk for a guy with one game on his resume.

At the start of this season;

Cousins
Age 30
2018 Cap Hit $24MM
Total Contract Value: $84,000,000
Annual Contract Value: $28,000,00
Fully Guaranteed Money: $84,000,000

Smith
Age 34
2018 Cap Hit $18.5MM
Total Contract Value: $94,000,000
Annual Contract Value: $23,500,000
Fully Guaranteed Money: $55,000,000

Yeah... it is going to be one of the storylines to watch this season.

Personally, while Smith is “cheaper” and there are less guarantees, when does he hit the wall? He’s not exactly the strongest arm QB to begin with.

For this season, maybe I’d be content with either... but I’m feeling better if Cousins is my QB vs Smith... particularly beyond 2018.