Coaching vs Talent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
This is the time of year that always drives me crazy...days after the draft. Headlines are always focused on Winners and Losers of the draft, how every team was so lucky to get exactly what they wanted, how certain players will instantly transform a team, why so and so fell so far in the draft and eventually make the other 31 teams pay dearly for the oversight. We get to feel part of the process by investing time evaluating college players as though ROD were Snead’s alternate scouting department. Ever since ESPN started televising the Draft, I’ve happily squandered countless hours pouring over everything football to tide me over until training camp.

But the Ram transformations of 99 and 17 had less to do with drafting impact receivers (Holt, Kupp) than it did with veteran acquisitions (Faulk, Timmerman, Williams/ Whitworth, Woods, Sullivan). Yet the GREATEST impact was the competence of coordinators who knew how to execute an advanced plan for success and develop men previously undervalued (Warner, Fletcher, Goff, John Johnson III).

In short, I no longer focus on the who in the draft because every year Hall of Fame players are drafted late while celebrated picks regularly become busts. Player development and intelligent gameplans create a culture of success that elevates talent into production. To me, the draft only gives insight to the organization’s vision of what they intend to create. With that said, here is my evaluation of this offseason.

Intelligent passion and accountability trumps freakish athleticism for this regime. If you are lightning quick but can’t be where you’re supposed to be and consistently make the play (Tavon, Alec) you have no place on this squad. Conversely, if you have merely adequate measurables but process the game better than your opponent (Kupp, JJ III) we will develop you. If you’re looking to maximize your opportunity to wear a gold jacket someday (Donald, Gurley, Peters, Suh, Joyner, Whitworth) you will find no better place to get the opportunity to fulfill that goal.

This draft class is all about passionate intelligence that transcends physical traits and previous technique and production. Ted Rath will transform their bodies. McVay, Kromer, Phillips, et al will train their minds. They were selected because they had adequate enough athleticism to perform specific roles. The real excitement these kids should have is the opportunity to learn from the best so they can be part of what Martz used to call “a special place in time.”