Claiborne scores a four on Wonderlic

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Florio
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... wonderlic/

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four.

Yes. A four. Out of 50.

Six years ago, quarterback Vince Young initially got a six. Re-scoring of the test bumped it to a seven. A next-day Mulligan moved it to 13.

Finally, Young has someone at whom he can point and laugh.

The joke, however, continues to be on anyone who thinks that all college athletes are also students. Plenty of them aren’t. They’re minor-league football players who have no choice but to wait at least three years until they get a shot at joining the NFL.

How else can anyone explain a person who presumably has found a way to avoid failing out of college getting such a low score on a basic intelligence test?

And that gives rise to a more important question. What did LSU actually do to keep Claiborne from failing out of school?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Re: LSU must have a REALLY easy curriculum.

Wow.

Do you think his stock drops at all, or does he still go in the top six?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

MerlinJones said:
Wow.

Do you think his stock drops at all, or does he still go in the top six?

I dont think it has any effect on it. For me, heres the key quote to take from this:

The NFL has kept the Wonderlic results under tighter wraps than usual this year. Or maybe the media has had enough other things to keep itself occupied.

Regardless, the first eye-opening score has leaked from the 2012 edition of the 50-question Wonderlic test. Per multiple league sources, LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four.

All I can wonder is who leaked this...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I'm the School Director for a Postsecondary Vocational School. We use the Wonderlic exam to determine an applicant's ability to benefit from our program. In order to meet our very low entrance requirements a student must score a 13 on the Wonderlic if he cannot provide proof of HS graduation (or GED).

Anyway, I have well over 20 years of experience administering these tests. Lots of our students are actually from other countries here in Florida, so many of them do not have proof of HS graduation. Most of these guys are able to score the minimum 13. Not trying to single a Country out here, but the Haitians that apply for admission are usually the ones who have the most difficulty. Keep in mind, these people from other counties think and speak in a language other than English first....

I can't remember the last time someone scored a 4 on one of these tests. That is Fucking ridiculous. Just so you guys know, depending on your age, you get 1 point for entering you name on the "name" line. When someone fails with us, it's almost always in the 10-12 score range. Most people (even folks from other countries) score in the high teens to mid 20's,,, and those are non-college educated people.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Selassie I said:
I'm the School Director for a Postsecondary Vocational School. We use the Wonderlic exam to determine an applicant's ability to benefit from our program. In order to meet our very low entrance requirements a student must score a 13 on the Wonderlic if he cannot provide proof of HS graduation (or GED).

Anyway, I have well over 20 years of experience administering these tests. Lots of our students are actually from other countries here in Florida, so many of them do not have proof of HS graduation. Most of these guys are able to score the minimum 13. Not trying to single a Country out here, but the Haitians that apply for admission are usually the ones who have the most difficulty. Keep in mind, these people from other counties think and speak in a language other than English first....

I can't remember the last time someone scored a 4 on one of these tests. That is Fucking ridiculous. Just so you guys know, depending on your age, you get 1 point for entering you name on the "name" line. When someone fails with us, it's almost always in the 10-12 score range. Most people (even folks from other countries) score in the high teens to mid 20's,,, and those are non-college educated people.

Good insight Selassie.

A 4 is absolutely ridiculous. I think Mo will be a very good NFL CB, but he better interview well if he doesnt want his stock to slip. Normally I dont put much weight into the Wonderlic. Teams have to pay attention to a 4 tho. One has to question if he can learn an NFL scheme.

steferfootball

Starter

I don't feel like some players take the test seriously.

Maybe the are embarrassed about what the would actually score.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Selassie I said:

Do u know if an example of one of these tests is available online, as I would like to take a look.

Also, my guess is that the team who leaked this is also the team that wants to pick him, but they do not select in top 6.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re:

interference said:
Do u know if an example of one of these tests is available online, as I would like to take a look.

Also, my guess is that the team who leaked this is also the team that wants to pick him, but they do not select in top 6.
They're very similar to SAT questions, and that's why it's a little strange that Claiborne would score so poorly. He's -- uh -- in college. Here are some sample questions from ESPN. They're not on the actual exam, but it would give you an indication of what kinds of questions are on it. And for the record, Dan Marino scored a 16.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

That's scary. I missed one in the sample quiz so that means I would of scored about a 46. I'm no brain surgeon so can this kid wipe his own ass? Damn.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

There are 50 questions , and you get 12 minutes to complete it.

We have 2 different tests because we can retest someone who fails it on the 1st attempt.

I probably shouldn't post the test here due to security reasons.... but if any of you want to try it for yourself - pm me and I will see what I can do for you.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Do that Selassie. I'd like to see how my 10 yr old daughter would do on it. I'd be willing to lay wagers that she'll score higher than a 4. :lol:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

What you should know about Claiborne's test score

by Greg Gabriel

A report earlier today stated that LSU cornerback Mo Claiborne scored a 4 on the Wonderlic test at the Combine. When a player scores that low it’s an obvious red flag and clubs have to do their research on the player. Personally, I feel the league should find out who leaked the score and fire the individual. There are some things that should be kept private and this is one of them. Let’s look at the process.

I for one feel the Wonderlic is obsolete when it comes to testing for intelligence in the NFL. It’s not because the test isn’t good, it’s because the use of THAT test is no longer valid. The people from Wonderlic will tell you that the test is a good indicator of intelligence when it is taken ONE time under PROPER testing conditions. The NFL has been using this test for over 30 years. Prospects usually take the test as juniors on their testing day for Combine scouts in the spring of their junior year. The scores are distributed to all the clubs later that spring. If the prospect has taken the test, he is not supposed to take it again until he goes to the Combine. The problem is that while the prospect is at a training center preparing for the Combine, he takes a version of the test sometimes 4-5 times a week for up to 6 weeks. This makes the result of the test totally invalid when taken at the Combine. I have seen instances where a prospect’s test score has jumped by as much as 20 points at the Combine and only because he has taken it so many times. The Wonderlic people will tell you that a jump by any more than 4 points is invalid.

Now knowing what I just wrote, let’s look at the Claiborne situation.

[hil]When Claiborne came out of high school, the schools that recruited him knew he had a learning disability. I don’t know much about his disability other than it has to do with reading. Everyone I have talked to tells me that Claiborne has great character and is a great kid. He knows and understands his disability and uses all the resources that LSU has available to control it and to help him get by in the classroom. When it comes to football he puts in extra time to learn and understand his assignments and it is not a problem. Will he need reps? Probably, but no more than the usual rookie would need. In saying that, Claiborne’s test score was NOT a true indicator of his intelligence. He can and does learn.[/hil]

Claiborne is expected to be drafted in the top 5 of this month’s NFL Draft. [hil]What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks.[/hil] If they had any questions about a player's ability to learn they have had plenty of time to do their research to feel if they are comfortable with drafting Claiborne. [hil]The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off.[/hil]Unfortunately, this is dirty pool but it often happens this time of year in the NFL. [hil]Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, it’s because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop so they can have an opportunity to select him.[/hil]

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/wha ... score.html

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I was just telling my registrar about MC getting a 4 on the Wonderlic ,,,, she grades ours.... she couldn't believe a college student scored a 4 . LOL

If you want me to send you the test ... pm me your email and I'llsend you the test. You'll have to time yourself and send me your answers... including your age. I'll grade it for you ... I don't want to send out the answer key.

btw... you don't get a point for putting your name in the "name" spot... but if you're over 29 you will be given extra credit up to 4 points depending on just how old you are. That means MC scored a solid 4 without extra credit .

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

LOL a solid 4. That's not on the the curve then? :sly:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JdashSTL said:
....[hil]What I suspect happened is a club drafting after 5 leaked the test score to try and scare off teams in the top 5 from drafting Claiborne. The clubs have known the results of these scores for weeks.[/hil] If they had any questions about a player's ability to learn they have had plenty of time to do their research to feel if they are comfortable with drafting Claiborne. [hil]The team leaking the score is hoping that the public backlash for drafting a player with such a low score will scare them off.[/hil]Unfortunately, this is dirty pool but it often happens this time of year in the NFL. [hil]Just remember, if you start to hear a lot of negative things about some highly rated players in the next few weeks, it’s because a team who drafts later in the round wants the player to drop so they can have an opportunity to select him.[/hil]
Yup, very dirty. But that's the side of the NFL that their PR machine typically doesn't let the public see.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pretty sure he's going to get another shot at it. And even if he doesn't improve greatly, he's a cover corner. This test is pretty important for QB and MLB and whatnot, but that score didn't have much of a detrimental effect on his production in college.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

DR RAM said:
http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

Here's another sample, and it is pretty damn easy.

There IS a reason that those teams are at the top every year...academics don't mean squat to them.

Huge reason why I don't watch a ton of college football games. Yeah it makes me a hypocrite for being stoked about the draft every year b/c of players from those programs, but the college athletic departments and in some cases the college itself make so much money...it's mind boggling. And then there's the incredibly stupid notion of paying college athletes. Like hell they should get paid, after a full ride scholarship and insanely easy "classes" plus get paid? While the poor medical or engineering student who busts their ass in these upper level science/math classes gets hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt?

OK I'm gettin off way off topic now. I'll stop.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Depending on Claiborne's learning disability, there's always the want-to factor.

My son has ADD; was diagnosed in kindergarten. He was even held back a year because reading wasn't his thing. He's 28 now and you can't tell. He has a job; he pays rent; bought his own computer and laptop; saves money. He's aware of when his ADD can make him struggle and he works around it. He still has confidence issues, but those things that he likes to do are no problem.

The point being, a learning disability is only a handicap where lack of desire exists. Take a written test? WTF for? Claiborne wants to play football, so I don't see a problem.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Angry Ram said:
DR RAM said:
http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

Here's another sample, and it is pretty damn easy.

There IS a reason that those teams are at the top every year...academics don't mean squat to them.

Huge reason why I don't watch a ton of college football games. Yeah it makes me a hypocrite for being stoked about the draft every year b/c of players from those programs, but the college athletic departments and in some cases the college itself make so much money...it's mind boggling. And then there's the incredibly stupid notion of paying college athletes. Like hell they should get paid, after a full ride scholarship and insanely easy "classes" plus get paid? While the poor medical or engineering student who busts their ass in these upper level science/math classes gets hundreds of thousands of dollars into debt?

OK I'm gettin off way off topic now. I'll stop.

Some colleges DO have standards, but that puts them at a disadvantage. What Stanford does as program is commendable.