Catch 22

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Man, every week I scan through the forums, check different NFL websites, read articles, etc...just to get a daily NFL/RAMS fix in anticipation for Sunday. I can't WAIT for gameday as soon as the previous one ends...

...but I can't believe the season is only 4 games (hopefully a few more!) from being over. The season flies by!

I say go to 18 games! :cheese:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can you imagine an 18 game schedule last year? Spags would have had to play cornerback.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
No kidding Man. The season just goes by too fast.

Savor the remaining games as much as possible. It's a long time till August rolls around again.

Going to the game in tampon on the 23rd is going to help me get my fix... well that, and a road win in seattle.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sum1BTRthnU said:
Man, every week I scan through the forums, check different NFL websites, read articles, etc...just to get a daily NFL/RAMS fix in anticipation for Sunday. I can't WAIT for gameday as soon as the previous one ends...

...but I can't believe the season is only 4 games (hopefully a few more!) from being over. The season flies by!

ONLY IF THEY:
Reduce the number of pre season games
Expand the roster
Place a maximum number of snaps and or games a player is allowed.

This sport is currently threatened by the increasing march of concussion science.
"Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel did a feature on the NCAA's "dereliction of duty" re: protecting athletes from over exposure ( mostly live hitting in practice)
There are things in the offing concerning player safety that unless accomodations of the nature I propose ( again "of that nature" not specifically) , there will be legislation and the last damned thing the sport needs is the Social Security Administration model of inefficiency coming to govern it.
I share your insatiable appetite for this game, it is my favorite topic of conversation, form of entertainment, but asking the same people to play two more games when they are already competing in an environment where attrition is such a factor won't fly.
I coach wrestling at a high school , MSHSAA ( the HS sport governing body in Missouri) limits the in season paricipation of wrestlers to 15 events six of which can be tournaments and a total number of 50 in season matches plus district and state tournament matches. If we were to get more games IMO a system like that would not just be reasonable , but probably be demanded by the union.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Like it or not...

The NFL Cash Cow will get it's 18 game schedule in the near future.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Thordaddy said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:

ONLY IF THEY:
Reduce the number of pre season games
Expand the roster
Place a maximum number of snaps and or games a player is allowed.

Plus an extra bye week (one week the entire NFL is off).

More active players on game day.

Training camp would have to be reduced.

Mini camps elimenated all together?

Yeah, I miss the games when the Super Bowl ends, but the way the coverage is now you get coaching change coverage, free agency coverage, minicamps, draft (that's a big one), and training camp...there really is enough to get through the year. Only June/July is the dead time.

16 games make it more special...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:

Yeah, I miss the games when the Super Bowl ends, but the way the coverage is now you get coaching change coverage, free agency coverage, minicamps, draft (that's a big one), and training camp...there really is enough to get through the year. Only June/July is the dead time.

Getting rid of mini camps and TC won't help anything. That's needed way more than the extra 2 games. I do agree they'd have to up the game day count from 46 to around 53, and the season roster should be at a minimum +10. Thankfully there's lost of coverage of the whole of the off-season; and quite frankly, that's where most of the good discussion comes in. Speculating on who they draft, who they sign, who makes the cut, who's looking good in camp, etc.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Selassie I said:
Like it or not...

And if they do it right it's fine, I love the idea of more games and you are correct follow the money and you get more answers than any other way,WHICH is why the league will resist the appropriate way to do it and the unon will want all the additional revenue.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Thankfully there's lots of coverage of the whole of the off-season; and quite frankly, that's where most of the good discussion comes in. Speculating on who they draft, who they sign, who makes the cut, who's looking good in camp, etc.

That's what I was thinking just the other day. It's funny, you see a lot of statements about "slow news period" and all but the discussion and intrigue seems to spur a hell of a lot interesting topics.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Selassie I said:
Like it or not...

That's probably true. Between that and having a game every thurs they're really concerned about players health u know?

Maybe they'll just add 5 more yards to the kickoff, or suggest 2 hand touch for the qb

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:

Getting rid of mini camps and TC won't help anything. That's needed way more than the extra 2 games. I do agree they'd have to up the game day count from 46 to around 53, and the season roster should be at a minimum +10. Thankfully there's lost of coverage of the whole of the off-season; and quite frankly, that's where most of the good discussion comes in. Speculating on who they draft, who they sign, who makes the cut, who's looking good in camp, etc.

I didn't say eliminate training camp, just reduce the length of it. Minicamps would be gone though. If 18 games do get put it, the bodies are gonna be so beat up..can't even imagine. So the SB would be pushed back a week or 2 in mid Feburary. Then there's the Pro Bowl for the best or name players. Plus there's the travel and all that.

The way it is now is perfect. Don't fuck with what's working.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
X said:
Angry Ram said:

I didn't say eliminate training camp, just reduce the length of it. Minicamps would be gone though. If 18 games do get put it, the bodies are gonna be so beat up..can't even imagine. So the SB would be pushed back a week or 2 in mid Feburary. Then there's the Pro Bowl for the best or name players. Plus there's the travel and all that.

The way it is now is perfect. Don't fuck with what's working.
That's where the coaches would begin to protest an extended schedule though. Minicamps and training camp are far too important to them to scale them back. I'm not even sure coaches would want to take out any preseason games either. Like you said, right now it's a pretty good set-up. Extending it by two more games is going to take away something else that coaches need. IF they're going to add two more games, then they should do the other things we wrote about. More players, more byes, bigger game day rosters.

And fuck the pro bowl. That's a stupid game. Just a stupid, pointless game. Give end-of-season awards, send them away on a publicity vacation or whatever, but do without that game.

wolfman84

Rookie
Fortunately, we'll be playing 19 to 20 games post preseason games in the near future!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
You thought last week was bad?!?! Two teams fighting for a playoff spot, last game at home!

I can't wait!!!!!!!! :cheese: