Carson Wentz cleared to return, will start Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...son-wentz-cleared-to-return-will-start-sunday

Carson Wentz cleared to return, will start Sunday

Carson Wentz is back.

The Philadelphia Eagles announced Monday that Wentz has been medically cleared and will start Week 3 versus the Indianapolis Colts.

"He's ready, ready to take the reins again and move forward," coach Doug Pederson said Monday.

Sunday will mark the first time Wentz will see the field since tearing his ACL and LCL on Dec. 10, 2017.

The Eagles were patient in bringing back their MVP candidate following knee surgery. Wentz participated early in training camp with the team optimistic he would return for the opener. The quarterback, however, was not medically cleared for contact until Monday.

The Eagles owned the luxury of deploying Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles to open the season, allowing them to tread carefully with Wentz's return.

After two weeks watching an up-and-down Foles lead the Eagles to a 1-1 start while averaging 5.5 yards per attempt and a 78.9 passer rating, Wentz is back under center. The Eagles squeaked by the Falcons in the opener and fell to the Buccaneers on Sunday.

Pederson said he has no plans to hold Wentz back, expects no limitations, and won't "coach scared" with the QB returning from injury.

"He's going to be prepared mentally, now it's a matter of the physical part taking over," Pederson said. "... In my mind, he's cleared, he's cleared. No need to hold back."

Wentz's return will provide a much-needed boost to the Eagles offense that struggled with consistency under Foles. How long it takes Wentz to shake off the rust remains to be seen.

"I think there's going to be maybe an issue or two. It's going to take some time to get back into the rhythm of the flow of game," Pederson said. "The speed of the game is different than the speed of practice. So we do everything we can to try to simulate that during the week and try to prepare him that way.

"He's going to be prepared mentally. Now it's just a matter of the physical part taking over."

When last we saw Wentz on the field, the 25-year-old quarterback was performing at an MVP-level, making breathtaking throws, and using Houdini-like magic to escape rushes.

One issue Wentz must overcome in his return is a battered Eagles receiving corps. Alshon Jeffery (shoulder) remains week-to-week, Pederson said Monday. Mike Wallace fractured his fibula in Sunday's game and is out an undetermined about of time. And Mack Hollins is on IR with a groin issue.

The injuries mean beyond Nelson Agholor, there isn't much in the receiver corps for Wentz to rely on in his return. Kamar Aiken, DeAndre Carter and Shelton Gibson are currently the top receivers in line for outside snaps. It wouldn't be a surprise if Philly looked to bring in help this week.

With the injuries to the receivers, Wentz will look to attack with favorite target Zach Ertz, rookie tight end Dallas Goedert and running back Corey Clement.

Wentz isn't a panacea for all that ills the Eagles' offense, but it sure will be good to see the wunderkind back on the field.

Psycho_X

Legend
He's going to come back to almost no wide receivers unless Jeffrey's is cleared finally. That offense is banged all to hell across the board. Will be interesting to see how well he does and if they can keep him from getting hit too much.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are screwing up, no matter how good he looks in practice. The type of injury he has takes more than a year to actually fully heal. The reappearance of 2015 Foles scared them.....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This sure looks like Foles' stellar QBing is the actual reason for the medical clearance to me.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
They better hope they are doing the right thing. If he re-injures that knee he may end having a Bradford like career (minus the perfectly timed big $$ contracts).

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wentz isn't a panacea for all that ills the Eagles' offense, but it sure will be good to see the wunderkind back on the field.

I guess Wentz is the new Andrew Luck. Appointed to elite status by the media, because they say so.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m in the “Eagles are scared” camp.

Foles’ play has them panicked and so they’re rushing Wentz back too early. This smacks of a penny wise, pound foolish decision.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I’m in the “Eagles are scared” camp.

Foles’ play has them panicked and so they’re rushing Wentz back too early. This smacks of a penny wise, pound foolish decision.
Yep. Seems like full panic mode. I think we still beat them even if Wentz is healthy so I hope it works out for him.

Ram65

Legend
I don't see panic mode in here Phila. The Pederson has been saying all along once he is cleared by the medical staff he will play. Everyone has been guessing when that would be from game one and to game six. The medical staff has to clear him to play. I though waiting was a good idea. We will see. They really have little WR help. He will be going to the TEs.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFC East doesn’t scare me much. It should be easy enough for them to win the Division and make the playoffs. Not sure why they would be panicking now. Maybe they want home field advantage badly?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Pederson has always struck me as a bit of a buffoon.

I’ll stick to my belief that the Eagles offensive success last year had a lot to do with Reich and DePhillipo, who are both coaching other teams now.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Wentz said a few months ago he won't alter his playing style just because of the injury. Pederson saying he won't hold him back. Sure is risky considering the injury. How many times have we seen a player end up injuring himself in another area because he's favoring that knee? And how strong is the area around that knee? Wasn't Bradford's second injury to the same knee but a different spot?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I have some Eagle fans that get upset with me when I call Wentz the next RG3... I mean I realize he is a superior player, but his playing style and his physiology, seem to make him injury prone.

Was hurt as a Jr in HS, which is why he was not heavily recruited. Broke his wrist in one of the 2 yrs he played in college. Cracked ribs in 16' Pre-season, then last year's knee.

He takes a lot of hits for a guy playing behind a good OL. Mentioned on local radio today that he ranked 22nd last year in holding the ball too long. 2.7 seconds.

Now coming back at exactly 9 months. Doctors have stated that up until 12 months you are something like 4 times more likely to re-injure a torn ACL vs a person who never had a torn ACL.

They are playing with fire. We remember Bradford re-injured his in week 3 of the pre-season. And his original injury took place nearly 2 months earlier than Wentz. So he is coming back about a month earlier than Bradford did.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Anyone else think its too early? He was hurt at the end of last season , usually takes a year to fully recover from this injury .

He is a great talent and I would hate to see his career hindered because of a few weeks

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well... at least they can bring Folds back in if something goes wrong.