Carson Palmer Will Play In 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...-In-2017/ff565b21-eb94-49b2-ba0a-e2be767b9f14

Carson Palmer Will Play In 2017
Darren Urban/azcardinals.com

PalmerBackMAIN.jpg

In what seemed inevitable – especially after wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald announced he would play in 2017 – Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer informed team president Michael Bidwill Thursday he too would play this season.

Palmer had, multiple times, said he expected to play this season. But he left some doubt by saying he wanted to first see how his body responded to down time. Health was the major factor for the 37-year-old, who coach Bruce Arians said “got the hell beat out of him this year.”

“My intent was to take some time after the season to get away and see where I was physically and mentally," Palmer said. "On both fronts, I can say I’m ready to get back to work and prepare for the 2017 season. This is a phenomenal group with a very special opportunity in front of it. I know how rare that is and I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of it.”

Palmer's 2017 salary of $15.5 million becomes fully guaranteed Friday.

Palmer was sacked 40 times – 15 more than in 2015 – and was hit the third-most in the NFL this season.

But Palmer’s return always trended toward likely. Even Arians acknowledged that recently when he noted Palmer “said earlier he wanted to play and I think he does.”

After the final home game of the 2016 season, Palmer was asked if he was going to play in 2017.

“I haven’t even thought about that,” Palmer said at the time. “But, I expect to. I’d like to.”

Once Fitzgerald committed – a move many believe wouldn’t have happened without the confidence Palmer would be his quarterback – Palmer’s similar move never felt that far behind.

Palmer missed one game this season due to a concussion. He still set a personal high for pass attempts with 597, completing 364 for 4,233 yards, 26 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

He is signed through the 2018 season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Huge positive for Cardinal fans. Palmer might be showing some signs of declining skills, but he's a good QB still.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, if Trubisky is still on the board at #13 it would be quite a good fit

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Huge positive for Cardinal fans. Palmer might be showing some signs of declining skills, but he's a good QB still.

He needs top flight protection at this point in his career. Like Manning did his last couple of seasons. He's that much of a statue these days but can still throw and can still read a defense.

If they put a good OL in front of him they will be in the playoff picture.

I'd like to see Arians have another losing season myself.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You'd think a HC like Arians with his reputation as a QB whisperer would have a developmental guy on the roster by now. Four years in AZ going on year five without one.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You'd think a HC like Arians with his reputation as a QB whisperer would have a developmental guy on the roster by now. Four years in AZ going on year five without one.

IMO him being around top QB's has given him a rep that maybe he doesn't deserve but rather fell into.........just a thought.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oing-their-homework-on-incoming-quarterbacks/

Cardinals doing their homework on incoming quarterbacks

The Cardinals know that the end is near for quarterback Carson Palmer. Because, as Cardinals G.M. Steve Keim said during a recent appearance on PFT Live, Palmer is willing to mentor a young quarterback, it makes sense to bring a young quarterback into the fold which Palmer is still playing.

It therefore also makes sense for the Cardinals to be taking a close look at the incoming crop of signal callers. Which, as explained by Kent Somers of azcentral.com, they are doing. They’ll be doing it with private workouts.

“I would stray away from Pro Days if I could,” Keim said, via Somers. “They’ve become so big that you don’t have the individual attention you need. You’re wasting some time.”

The Cardinals will be investing some private time in working out Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes, and presumably the rest of the quarterbacks at the top of the class.

“I think there are five or six really good arms in this draft,” coach Bruce Arians said, via Somers. “Whether there are five or six quarterbacks, that’s what we have to find out. I’m feeling more and more there are a couple of sleepers who, because of their offenses, didn’t show as much as they are capable of.”

In other words, folks are trying to make sure the perceived second or third cut of quarterbacks doesn’t include another Dak Prescott. Over the past decade or so, the Cardinals have done very well when acquiring established quarterbacks in the waning years of their careers (Palmer, Kurt Warner). They’ve struggled when drafting quarterbacks (Matt Leinart, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley, Logan Thomas) or rolling the dice by trading for — and paying — and unproven guy (Kevin Kolb).

The stakes are high in 2017. The perennially downtrodden Cardinals have been competitive and relevant in recent years only when they’ve had Palmer and Warner. They need someone who will play as well as either guy, and stick around a lot longer.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We see it over and over again.

Half of the team's out there are looking to upgrade at quarterback and only about a fourth of them feel really comfortable with the quarterback that have.

The other forth are like the Rams, they have a good prospect that they're looking to develop into an elite game winner.

So we're actually doing pretty good to have a Goff whose potential is sky-high still.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
we're actually doing pretty good to have a Goff whose potential is sky-high still.

That's kind of the way I look at it, at least for the moment.

In Goff we have a potential franchise QB.

Most teams are still searching for that possibility.

jap

Legend
Carson has had it a little easier with us the last two-three years with The Mighty Quinn struggling with injuries as well as a fading, then absent Chris Long. Now the SonOfBum is here to terminate his fine career once and for all. We are still waiting for Wade to fill out his defensive lineup and rotations, but everyone can bet their behinds The Battering Ram defense will return with a vengeance. The Horns are a-coming!---run for the hills!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I just got a woody...,' thought Aaron Donald...