Can someone tell me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
how the hell Sen'Derrick Marks is rated so much higher than Donald on the Top 100? Man that show is bogus

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He really shouldn't be, but Marks is a monster in his own right. He's also in the top 5 DTs in the NFL. I'm not too upset about it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He really shouldn't be, but Marks is a monster in his own right. He's also in the top 5 DTs in the NFL. I'm not too upset about it.

What? Nope. No way. No way Marks is a top five DT. My top five, in no particular order:

Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Geno Atkins, Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe.

Hell, I'll even add five more who are clearly better than Marks:

Vince Wilfork, Marcell Dareus, Haloti Ngata, Kyle Williams, Terrance Knighton.

I'd also put younger defensive tackles such as Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short, and Michael Brockers ahead because of how instrumental they are in the run game. Fairley and Shariff Floyd are also much better than Marks.

That's not even counting 3-4 defensive ends such as J.J. Watt, Jurrell Casey, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Calais Campbell, Fletcher Cox, Akiem Hicks, and Cameron Jordan.

Marks shouldn't be anywhere on that list, especially not ahead of Donald. What a horrible joke.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
What? Nope. No way. No way Marks is a top five DT. My top five, in no particular order:

I'd also put younger defensive tackles such as Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short, and Michael Brockers ahead because of how instrumental they are in the run game. Fairley and Shariff Floyd are also much better than Marks.

That's not even counting 3-4 defensive ends such as J.J. Watt, Jurrell Casey, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Calais Campbell, Fletcher Cox, Akiem Hicks, and Cameron Jordan.

Marks shouldn't be anywhere on that list, especially not ahead of Donald. What a horrible joke.
Lol. Atkins is mediocre now. Wilfork isn't good anymore. Ngata is inconsistent and his season was not as good as Marks'. Williams is not even close to Marks. Knighton is incredibly overrated.

Brockers and Fairley better than Marks? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. They don't even compare.

I've seen every game of Marks's career. He's about the same level as Donald. I don't want to argue about it because I don't really care, but Marks is definitely one of the best DTs in the NFL.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Lol. Atkins is mediocre now. Wilfork isn't good anymore. Ngata is inconsistent and his season was not as good as Marks'. Williams is not even close to Marks. Knighton is incredibly overrated.

Brockers and Fairley better than Marks? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. They don't even compare.

I've seen every game of Marks's career. He's about the same level as Donald. I don't want to argue about it because I don't really care, but Marks is definitely one of the best DTs in the NFL.

So you saw just how mediocre he's been for every season except this one? You're right. They don't even compare. They're flat-out better than Marks, and I'm not saying that as a homer; I'm saying that as a fan who's watched all of them play.

I don't care about seasons. He's not better than any of the defensive tackles I've mentioned. He is not, has never been, and will never be a top five defensive tackle.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So you saw just how mediocre he's been for every season except this one? You're right. They don't even compare. They're flat-out better than Marks, and I'm not saying that as a homer; I'm saying that as a fan who's watched all of them play.

I don't care about seasons. He's not better than any of the defensive tackles I've mentioned. He is not, has never been, and will never be a top five defensive tackle.

Okay man. You're the guy who said Leonard Williams, the DT, would be an All-Pro DE for the Rams replacing Chris Long. No offense, but I'm not looking to you for DL insight when you can't distinguish the positions.

Memento

Name
Jemma
@TheDYVKX I said he would be an All-Pro left defensive end because I believe that he can play that position. I can see the positions quite fine, thank you very much. No offense taken, but I've seen Marks play. I don't believe that he's nearly as good as you and the other NFL players think he is. Just my opinion, nothing more.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
All-Pro left defensive end because I believe that he can play that position.

He's a two gapping DT in most defenses. 300 pounds, either 3 tech or 5 tech. Stronger run defender than pass rusher.. I honestly have no idea how any of that translates to 4-3 LDE. Sure, he's athletic, but he's far too big and not fast enough for the edge. A 4.97 40 will not get you to the QB fast enough on the edge.

the other NFL players think he is.

I'd like to think NFL players know more about the NFL than us, and can judge his abilities by watching the tape.

But hey, I'll respect your opinion. I've been more hostile than I'd have liked. Have a great night, man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Brockers and Fairley are not better than Marks. Floyd hasn't proven it yet. He's still inconsistent.

Wilfork, Ngata, Williams, and Knighton also aren't better than Marks. Williams is arguably as good. Wilfork and Ngata just aren't the same players anymore.

I do agree that Dareus, Suh, Atkins, and McCoy are better. There's no point in comparing Poe. He doesn't play the same type of role.

Donald is also very arguably better.

@TheDYVKX Atkins is not mediocre. He was arguably the best interior rusher in the NFL prior to his injury. The guy was coming off a torn ACL last year. It's no surprise he wasn't at his best.

He's a two gapping DT in most defenses. 300 pounds, either 3 tech or 5 tech. Stronger run defender than pass rusher.. I honestly have no idea how any of that translates to 4-3 LDE. Sure, he's athletic, but he's far too big and not fast enough for the edge. A 4.97 40 will not get you to the QB fast enough on the edge.

I'd like to think NFL players know more about the NFL than us, and can judge his abilities by watching the tape.

But hey, I'll respect your opinion. I've been more hostile than I'd have liked. Have a great night, man.

But how many NFL players have watched his tape? You gotta remember that this is their job so it's not like those guys are going to be watching tape of players they don't play in their spare time. You wouldn't do your job for fun in your spare time.

As far as Leonard Williams goes. I agree that he's not going to be as good at 4-3 LDE as he would be if used properly. However, he's also not really a guy you should be two gapping either. He's a guy you should put at 3-Tech and 1 gap. He's an interior disruptor. Can he two gap? Sure. But he can also play 4-3 LDE. It's just not making the best use of his skill-set.

As a 5-Tech, you could have him two gap if the scheme calls for it, but again, he'd be better off 1 gapping.

And the 40 time is a really poor argument. J.J. Watt ran a 4.84. He has no issues getting to the QB.

If I may interject into this debate, Marks was actually quite good in 2013 and then was great in 2014. He was placed in the right scheme in Jacksonville and has thrived.

Is a he a top 5 DT? No. I would call him a top 5 UT, though.