Can Rams Pass Rush Become the League's Most Fearsome Unit in 2014?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tyson Langland
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...become-the-leagues-most-fearsome-unit-in-2014

hi-res-39694ef92edbd5f531d5b4eb4e39dd48_crop_north.jpg

Ever since Jeff Fisher chose the St. Louis Rams over the Miami Dolphins back in 2012, the Rams have been on a fast track to defensive success in the league’s most competitive division.

In 2012, St. Louis finished with the 14th-best defense in theNFL. And in 2013, it finished with the 18th-best defense in the NFL. Both of those numbers are extremely impressive when you examine the level of offensive inefficiency, the youth of its roster as a whole and the countless injuries the Rams have had to deal with over the last two seasons.

Yet, two top-20 finishes are only the beginning for the Rams defense. With the additions of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, cornerback Lamarcus Joyner and defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Fisher is expecting St. Louis’ defense to be one of the top units in the league.

For those of you who are familiar with Fisher’s core beliefs, this should come as no surprise. He loves to build his defenses from the inside out. He did it in Tennessee with the Titans, and he’s doing it now as the head coach of the Rams.

[parsehtml]<script height="354px" width="630px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=V5YXN0bTp9w_UjDuj7VUvlun0ftf2JHm&pbid=MDYzZmYzZjIwNTA0YjI4Y2YyM2JmNTgw"></script>[/parsehtml]

Given that Fisher wholeheartedly believes the key to defensive success runs through the defensive line, one has to wonder if the Rams pass rush can become the league's most fearsome unit in 2014?

Obviously, the answer to that question isn’t an easy one considering the plethora of talented defensive fronts in the NFL.

Yet, the numbers from years past, the change at the defensive coordinator position and the crop of talented pass-rushers leads me to think St. Louis’ pass rush will be the most formidable group in the league at the end of the 2014 season.

And no, the Rams’ front won’t get there by deploying Robert Quinn more often in the hopes of him setting the single-season sack record. They will get there because of Williams’ exotic, up-tempo scheme and Donald’s pass-rushing ability from the 3-technique position.

BXohb0L.jpg

Some of you may be wondering how an undersized (6’1", 285 pounds) defensive tackle can transform an already stout defensive line, yet the answer is quite simple. Over the course of Williams’ long-standing tenure as a defensive coordinator, he has always had a thing for disruptive tweener types at the defensive tackle position.

For a case in point, look at Williams’ most recent stop in Tennessee.

Karl Klug, an undersized (6’3”, 275 pounds) rusher like Donald, thrived as a situational player from the 3-technique position. In fact, Klug tallied the 13th-highest rush grade at his position (plus-10.7), according to the analysts at Pro Football Focus (subscription required).

Being the 13th-best player at anything may not sound like an outstanding feat, but it is when you take into account the fact that Klug only garnered 330 snaps in 16 regular-season games.

On a per-snap basis, Klug actually registered the same rush grade asDetroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. That’s saying something since Suh finished with the second-highest rush grade (plus-36.1) from the NT/DT position.

Let's take a look at Klug’s tape and study how Williams helped him have a career year in 2013.

05acd6732070756f5f31b0e229fd4efe.gif

On this second-quarter play from the Titans’ Week 13 contest versus the Indianapolis Colts, Klug displayed a quick first step, a powerful swim move and the ability to eat up a blocker in a one-on-one situation.

Also, pay attention to No. 99 Jurrell Casey. Casey was lined up at the defensive tackle spot next to Klug. And as you can see in the GIF above, his primary assignment on the play was to eat up space so Klug would have the opportunity to win a one-on-one matchup against the left guard.

That play right there is a perfect example as to what Williams and the Rams want to do with Donald and Michael Brockers. St. Louis wants to put Donald in a position where he can rush the passer freely while Brockers eats up multiple blockers on double teams.

Here’s a play of Donald’s that is similar to Klug’s sack from the Colts game.

43d9e6576492ed9f95a100c9c4fe1ab3.gif

On this play from the Pittsburgh-Flordia State game, Donald was lined up at the 3-technique position. His sole purpose on this play was to beat up on the right guard while the other defensive tackle took on the center and left guard.

It’s clear the play worked out perfectly. Donald used a rip move and good acceleration to attack the quarterback, and the other defensive tackle provided a solid anchor as he battled both blockers (center and left guard) at the line of scrimmage.

This was just one simple comparison, but the more you watch both players the more you realize they do a fantastic job of winning at the line of scrimmage by firing off the ball and properly using their hands.

Let’s take a look at another play of Klug’s that compares well to Donald.

7a7b9b7604817f4e855907ca253ed47e.gif

In this clip, Klug (No. 97) was lined up at the right defensive tackle spot. His responsibility on the play was to slip the left guard and work his way upfield to pressure the quarterback.

Lo and behold, he was able to slip the left guard with good leverage and an inside power move. Klug wasn’t able to amass a quarterback sack on Russell Wilson, but he did impact the play with a quarterback hit.

Here’s a quarterback pressure from Donald that is eerily similar to Klug’s quarterback hit.

c41cfa3329015fa7e5a06da98c1a0632.gif

Like Klug’s play versus the Seattle Seahawks, Donald was lined up at the right defensive tackle spot against New Mexico. Moreover, Donald’s duty was the same as well. Pitt’s coaching staff was expecting him to split the center and left guard with the hopes of him applying pressure on the quarterback.

Coincidentally enough, he had no trouble finding his way into the backfield. The end result was a quarterback hit from Donald and a quarterback sack from his teammate (No. 93).

Based on the film review and comparison of both players, it’s easy to see why the Rams drafted Donald with the 13th pick in this year’s draft. They felt he was the best schematic fit of any defensive tackle, and they are certain he will take St. Louis’ defensive line to a whole new level.

A source close to the team told me that Williams and defensive line coach Mike Waufle felt Donald was too good to pass up at No. 13 overall, because they are confident he has all the tools to be the Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2014.

If that truly is the case and Donald does end up winning Defensive Rookie of the Year, is there really any question as to which team’s pass rush is the league's most fearsome unit?

As Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch said in his column on May 9, Fisher has declared war on the NFC West. The Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals have officially been put on notice.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best defense overall next year...not just d line

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Last year it was the Seahawks secondary, this year it's the Rams defenssive line.

Health will be a huge factor.

I'm ruling out ARZ, though. I'd put every ROD dollar I have on it.

I think we're gonna be hearing a lot of "The fearsome Rams DL." It can't be described any better, really.

Ferocious Atrocious

The Construction of Destruction

Last edited:

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
I think the depth and flexibility of the D-line will give GW counter moves that he probably hasn't used much. RQ is going to command a double team protection so bringing Joyner off the edge defeats that plan, Donald should provide A-gap blitz opportunity for the LB's or GW could just let the line do their thing and play coverage behind them as opponents will likely have less receivers running routes. I think just the threat of what GW can think up with this group will cause OC's to overthink their gameplan.
I love what this team is becoming, GO RAMS!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This DL is the best Ram unit period. It still young but Fisher has gained a lot of NFL experience here. Fisher has 8 vets but they have added four newcomers that seem to fit what GW wants to do in the interior. Donald-Westbrook & Harlan are all played as undersized interior DT's! This unit should be able to carry the main load of this defense and the entire team if need be! They should be that good.

Veterans
DE- Chris Long 7th
DE/DT- William Hayes 7th
DT- Kendall Langford 7th
DT/DE -Alex Carrington 6th
DE/DT- Eugene Sims 5th
DE-Robert Quinn 4th
DT- Micheal Brockers 3rd
DT- Matt Conrath 3rd

Rookies
DT- Aaron Donald 6-1 285
DT- Ethan Westbrooks 6-3 270

DT- Deantre Harlan 6-4 280
DE-Mike Sams

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In all my time, watching the Rams, I've only seen Two Rams D squads that excited me more than this one! The Fearsome-Foursome, of course, and the other Squad was the one that had the likes of Jack Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Hack-Saw Reynolds, and Jim Youngblood on it! This one could be right up there with them! :D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This DL is the best Ram unit period. It still young but Fisher has gained a lot of NFL experience here. Fisher has 8 vets but they have added four newcomers that seem to fit what GW wants to do in the interior. Donald-Westbrook & Harlan are all played as undersized interior DT's! This unit should be able to carry the main load of this defense and the entire team if need be! They should be that good.

Veterans
DE- Chris Long 7th
DE/DT- William Hayes 7th
DT- Kendall Langford 7th
DE/DT- Eugene Sims 5th
DE-Robert Quinn 4th
DT- Micheal Brockers 3rd
DT- Matt Conrath 3rd

Rookies
DT- Aaron Donald 6-1 285

DE-Mike Sams
Demarco Farr was also considered to be ' Under-sized ' and he turned out pretty well!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Demarco Farr was also considered to be ' Under-sized ' and he turned out pretty well!

Fisher & Gregg Williams saw way too much of Farr during the 1999 season. When Farr played a very big part in that DL that robbed them of their SB ring from them. Fisher & Williams have never got that close again to getting that ring! About one yard short they were! Maybe second time around will do it
:D

Fisher & Gregg Williams saw way too much of Farr during the 1999 season. When Farr played a very big part in that DL that robbed them of their SB ring from them. Fisher & Williams have never got that close again to getting that ring! About one yard short they were! Maybe second time around will do it
:D

They were a yard short from having a chance to play another 15 minutes, unless they went for 2.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Veterans
DE- Chris Long 7th
DE/DT- William Hayes 7th
DT- Kendall Langford 7th
DE/DT- Eugene Sims 5th
DE-Robert Quinn 4th
DT- Micheal Brockers 3rd
DT- Matt Conrath 3rd

Rookies
DT- Aaron Donald 6-1 285

DE-Mike Sams

That is a very impressive roster of Defensive Linemen! Which ones do you think will actually make the Final Roster? The Rams will have some tough decisions!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They were a yard short from having a chance to play another 15 minutes, unless they went for 2.
I seem to recall our defense was completely gassed and was worn down I am not so sure that the Rams would be able to stand up well for another quarter against Fisher & Williams with that run pounding and strong legged QB.....& defense they had...they were the only team to beat us soundly in 1999 from what I recall. I believe they had gotten back into their groove @ that point in that game & would have not gone for 2 and took us on in the OT.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I seem to recall our defense was completely gassed and was worn down I am not so sure that the Rams would be able to stand up well for another quarter against Fisher & Williams with that run pounding and strong legged QB.....& defense they had...they were the only team to beat us soundly in 1999 from what I recall. I believe they had gotten back into their groove @ that point in that game & would have not gone for 2 and took us on in the OT.

Both defenses were gassed if I remember correctly. If the Titans had scored, whoever won the coin toss in OT would probably have won the game.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Yep. They wore the Rams down going back to basics in the 2nd half. Eddie George only had 7 carries in the first half of that game. He ended up with 28 carries.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Both defenses were gassed if I remember correctly. If the Titans had scored, whoever won the coin toss in OT would probably have won the game.

Titans finished the game with 2-3 long drives. The Rams finished with a two 3 and outs and a one play long TD to Bruce.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That is a very impressive roster of Defensive Linemen! Which ones do you think will actually make the Final Roster? The Rams will have some tough decisions!

Rams have a great amount of versatility in this DL. But both Jeff & Gregg have a passion for freshness with their Lines! I would say the top 8 is an easy guesstimate. Never know with Snead he is always open for a trade for draft choices if another team like Dallas gets in more serious trouble with their DL.I could see a trade of Eugene Sims back to Texas & too Dallas where he could start. Rams have many options here.

RDE- Quinn/Sims
RDT- Langford/Donald
LDT- Brockers/Carrington
LDE- Long/Hayes

They have been grooming the 6-7 310 pound Matt Conrath now for two seasons but this UDFA DL 6-3 270 pound rookie Ethan Westbrook is a sleeper to me...... fits the Aaron Donald role type. Those would be my top 10. Westbrook would be a good PS candidate. With both Donald & Carrington both having play DE very well & along with the other four very good DE's that Fisher has ...I see no reason to keep DE Sam on the master roster unless he really flashes some quick outside pass rush.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd say it's Conrath vs. Carrington.
And Sims vs. Westbrook vs. Sam.

Hopefully, no one gets hurt, but they might have to IR someone to keep them as the other NFL teams should just be waiting to snap up whomever is released (with the possible exception of Sam).