Can a team leave a league?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Since the teams are individually owned can an owner just decide to take the team out of the league? Or cease business and close the franchise down?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't believe so but wouldn't that also be like throwing away a pure gold ring because it was bent or a $1,000 bill because someone wrote on it? I don't get the question.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't believe so but wouldn't that also be like throwing away a pure gold ring because it was bent or a $1,000 bill because someone wrote on it? I don't get the question.
I'm not saying it would be financially gainful.

Clearly these owners have enough money to do whatever they want...so let's say someone like Donald Sterling doesn't give a rip about the money and just sits on the team to create problems with the NBA as way of revenge.

I'm just being hypothetical for conversations sake.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't believe so, I heard that although there are individual owners for teams and such, the league actually owns all the rights and such, meaning that in reality the NBA/NFL/NHL, etc actually owns the teams. Something weird like that, and it's probably so they can do things like punish owners.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Well, he's banned, so he can't participate in the league, even though he still owns the team, he can't really do anything but sell them because he literally cannot do anything without being in violation of his banning. It's a power play, the only measure of revenge he can take is sit on the team as long as he can without selling.

The league still owns the team, the owners are just like individual babysitters that keep up the upkeep while the league is off doing better things.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
How about if he didn't pay the electric bill and they go for the last playoff game and ..... no power... lol!

Teach you to ban me!