Calijah Kancey (DL / Pittsburgh)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't often post on the Draft Discussion Board but I enjoy reading you guys' comments.

With a disappointing season, I have reverted-back to my pre-McVay-days, and been looking at draft prospects.

I noticed this guy's name as one of those who have declared for the Draft. Then I read a CBS Sports article calling him "one of the most dynamic interior-DL in the country". I looked him-up and he's just 6' and 280 lbs. Then I looked at some highlight tape.

Now, I always try to take highlights with a grain-of-salt because they are ... well ... highlights.

Never-the-less ... Holy Shit! I mean, I got boner! Don't you guys judge me!

Have any of you guys done some research, or have an early opinion on Calijah Kancey?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kancey isn't as strong or quick as AD is, and I have questions about how he'll defend the run in the NFL. Nevertheless, he's a fascinating prospect who will likely be taken in the second round based on him being an interior pass-rusher. He could - and probably will - blow up the Combine like AD did and vault himself into first round consideration.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I loved Kancey in college but I wouldn’t take an early pick on him. I know AD has said he has played at 275 but I don’t see the same strength in Kancey’s game.

He’s still worth a later round pick imo. If he’s there in round 5-7 maybe. Definitely as aUDFA.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I don't often post on the Draft Discussion Board but I enjoy reading you guys' comments.

With a disappointing season, I have reverted-back to my pre-McVay-days, and been looking at draft prospects.

I noticed this guy's name as one of those who have declared for the Draft. Then I read a CBS Sports article calling him "one of the most dynamic interior-DL in the country". I looked him-up and he's just 6' and 280 lbs. Then I looked at some highlight tape.

Now, I always try to take highlights with a grain-of-salt because they are ... well ... highlights.

Never-the-less ... Holy Shit! I mean, I got boner! Don't you guys judge me!

Have any of you guys done some research, or have an early opinion on Calijah Kancey?

I loved Kancey in college but I wouldn’t take an early pick on him. I know AD has said he has played at 275 but I don’t see the same strength in Kancey’s game.

He’s still worth a later round pick imo. If he’s there in round 5-7 maybe. Definitely as aUDFA.
I just drafted the guy in the PFF mock draft at like 35 as the Texans.

He's not going to fall past the second round probably and I'd say not past the 3rd for sure.

I'd consider drafting him with our 2nd round pick if he's there.
AD, Kancey, Gaines, Floyd, and if we can get another bookend :drool:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he’s there in round 5-7 maybe. Definitely as a UDFA.

Well, that Ain't going to happen!

Not saying the Rams should draft him; and I don't know how high Kancey will go. Think his Combine and work-outs will have a huge impact. Also do not watch enough college football to have a strong opinion; and, as I wrote, highlights can be very misleading.

All that being said, I thought Kancey's highlights warranted a thread. They are that impressive in my opinion. Just watched a completely different set of highlights, and Kancey's quickness off the snap, coupled with legit pass-rush moves jump-out to me. Furthermore, as a short lineman, his use of leverage is crucial.

Very interested to see how the coming months and the draft process plays-out for this guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, that Ain't going to happen!

Not saying the Rams should draft him; and I don't know how high Kancey will go. Think his Combine and work-outs will have a huge impact. Also do not watch enough college football to have a strong opinion; and, as I wrote, highlights can be very misleading.

All that being said, I thought Kancey's highlights warranted a thread. They are that impressive in my opinion. Just watched a completely different set of highlights, and Kancey's quickness off the snap, coupled with legit pass-rush moves jump-out to me. Furthermore, as a short lineman, his use of leverage is crucial.

Very interested to see how the coming months and the draft process plays-out for this guy.
I watched some Pitt games just to watch him. He has highlights but he’s no Aaron Donald. He can be invisible for stretches of games.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I watched some Pitt games just to watch him. He has highlights but he’s no Aaron Donald. He can be invisible for stretches of games.
I believe you but I have been very careful to NOT mention Aaron Donald. Not comparing them.

That being said, Donald was the 13th overall pick. There will be about 140 selections between the 13th pick in the 2023 Draft, and the end of the Fourth Round. You don't think an interior DL with Kancey's skill-set will be one of those picks?

OK. I do.

And if he has strong Combine and work-out #s that reflect quickness and strength, coupled with those flash-plays, I'm guessing Kancey will easily go in the top-75.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe you but I have been very careful to NOT mention Aaron Donald. Not comparing them.

That being said, Donald was the 13th overall pick. There will be about 140 selections between the 13th pick in the 2023 Draft, and the end of the Fourth Round. You don't think an interior DL with Kancey's skill-set will be one of those picks?

OK. I do.

And if he has strong Combine and work-out #s that reflect quickness and strength, coupled with those flash-plays, I'm guessing Kancey will easily go in the top-75.
I don’t think he displays the strength needed to play the run well. That’s a big part of a DTs game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just drafted the guy in the PFF mock draft at like 35 as the Texans.

He's not going to fall past the second round probably and I'd say not past the 3rd for sure.

I'd consider drafting him with our 2nd round pick if he's there.
AD, Kancey, Gaines, Floyd, and if we can get another bookend :drool:
Tony Pauline has him as a fifth round pick right now.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
He’s a draft analyst with NFL Draft Network. He’s had articles on many sites. I think he’s a pretty accurate analyst.
Personally I like the PFF draft site for analysis for the draft. Might not be accurate on where players go but their grades, especially over the past couple of seasons, seem to be a fair indicator on the effectiveness and success of a given player at the next level, which of course is the point. I'm excited for this draft season coming up and seeing what we have going on.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Tony Pauline has him as a fifth round pick right now.
Just curious whether you saw Mel Kiper's initial Mock Draft?

Really not touting Kancey because I don't watch college football. Just pointing-out his crazy-ass highlights; and that he is a player the draftniks seem to be all-over-the-map-on in early evaluations and projections.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just curious whether you saw Mel Kiper's initial Mock Draft?

Really not touting Kancey because I don't watch college football. Just pointing-out his crazy-ass highlights; and that he is a player the draftniks seem to be all-over-the-map-on in early evaluations and projections.
Exactly. All-over the map on.

From what I saw of his games he’s got great get off but not great power. Against NFL level Olinemen will he be able to get strong enough to use more than speed to get through? AD uses his strength in conjunction with his speed.

So is Kancey an interior version of an outside speed rusher like Jerry Hughes? Have we seen that in the NFL. Does he project to be a Geno Atkins? What’s he worth in a draft?

There is a lot of hype at this time of year and Mel’s and Tony’s early rankings are likely to change. I prefer Tony’s early rankings to Mel because he doesn’t have ESPN pressure to put out a new top 100 every week or so.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Exactly. All-over the map on.

From what I saw of his games he’s got great get off but not great power. Against NFL level Olinemen will he be able to get strong enough to use more than speed to get through? AD uses his strength in conjunction with his speed.

So is Kancey an interior version of an outside speed rusher like Jerry Hughes? Have we seen that in the NFL. Does he project to be a Geno Atkins? What’s he worth in a draft?

There is a lot of hype at this time of year and Mel’s and Tony’s early rankings are likely to change. I prefer Tony’s early rankings to Mel because he doesn’t have ESPN pressure to put out a new top 100 every week or so.
I think you need to forget about the Aaron Donald comparisons.

How about La'Roi Glover, John Randle, D'Marco Farr?