California girls high school basketball coach suspended after 161-2 victory

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/...ended-after-161-2-victory/?intcmp=latestnews#

A Southern California high school basketball coach has been suspended and faces accusations of mercilessly running up the score after his team won a game 161-2, one of the most lopsided scores in state history.

Arroyo Valley High girls' coach Michael Anderson was suspended for two games after the victory last week against Bloomington High.

Anderson said that he wasn't trying to run up the score or embarrass the opposition. His team had won four previous games by at least 70 points, and Bloomington had already lost a game by 91.

"The game just got away from me," Anderson told the San Bernardino Sun Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

He says if he had it to do again, he'd have played only reserves after the first quarter, or "I wouldn't play the game at all."

But Bloomington coach Dale Chung says Arroyo Valley used a full-court press for the entire first half to lead 104-1 at halftime.

"People shouldn't feel sorry for my team," Chung said. "They should feel sorry for his team, which isn't learning the game the right way."

Anderson has served one game of the suspension, a game his team won 80-19. He'll return after sitting out one more.

''He's a great X's and O's coach," Chung said. "Ethically? Not so much. He knows what he did was wrong."

Anderson told the paper that he did not broadcast the score on Maxpreps.com and did not tell it to any newspapers. The paper reported that a photo of the scoreboard did, however, appear on the team's Facebook page.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's dumb. What coach is gonna teach his team to lay off if they're handling business?
That kind of philosophy would surely come in handy come playoffs time. :rolleyes:

What's the point in a sport where it's common to lay that sort of a beating on someone? Seems pointless to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
Im sure the team that put together the 2 point performance got a participation trophy.
I don't know which is worse running up the score that high or scoring 2 points.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why is the 2 point team even playing in that league? I don't know that I blame the team for running up the score so much as I can't understand the match up. WTF???

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Full court press all the way to half, leading 104-1? Yeah, that's kinda low-class. I agree that you should never tell your team to lay down but come on man. Wouldn't a regular D against such competition still probably yield a 80 to 3 halftime score????? That's good enough for your ego isn't it? I agree this game probably shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. What's the benefit to either team?

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Attended a Jr college game here in SoCal a few years back and the opposing coach did the same thing. The score was like 75 - 10 and he wouldn't lay off the full court press.

But the team getting its ass kicked didn't make ANY adjustments. Just kept making the same mistakes over and over. Could have used it as a teaching moment to actually "coach", but instead just let the players deal with it and embarrass themselves. I almost threw on a girls wig, shaved my legs and hit the court for an epic comeback. But then I realized I wasn't in a cheesy 80s movie.

fearsomefour

Legend
Attended a Jr college game here in SoCal a few years back and the opposing coach did the same thing. The score was like 75 - 10 and he wouldn't lay off the full court press.

But the team getting its ass kicked didn't make ANY adjustments. Just kept making the same mistakes over and over. Could have used it as a teaching moment to actually "coach", but instead just let the players deal with it and embarrass themselves. I almost threw on a girls wig, shaved my legs and hit the court for an epic comeback. But then I realized I wasn't in a cheesy 80s movie.
I guess you figured why not since you have the razor and wing already?.....

fearsomefour

Legend
Full court press all the way to half, leading 104-1? Yeah, that's kinda low-class. I agree that you should never tell your team to lay down but come on man. Wouldn't a regular D against such competition still probably yield a 80 to 3 halftime score????? That's good enough for your ego isn't it? I agree this game probably shouldn't have been scheduled in the first place. What's the benefit to either team?
so, they got their 2 points on free throws?....that means they missed at least two free throws....FUNDAMENTALS!!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
California is too PC. My son was on a really good Pop Warner team, and they had to stop scoring, in almost every game. Now, what is more humiliating?

I think it's when a team takes a knee of 4 straight plays at your opponents goal line, so that they get the ball back, and your team doesn't score. Fucking stupid.

PhxRam

Laying down is a bullshit move.

Take your damn beating and get up in the morning and try to improve.

I get more pissed if I find out a opponent is simply toying with me.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
WEAK

Hammer_sickle_clean.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some kids play sports just to have fun.
I dont think it's as bad as some are making, TBH I dont have an issue with the full court press the entire 1st half. The coach owes it to his players to put their hard work on the court.
I dont know what happened in 2nd half, I'd say that with any class that they wouldnt press, would play half court offense, would work some clock. The team could use the 2nd half to work on some fundementals.
Clearly the team that lost had to have little to no expectations so they shouldnt be walking off the court with their heads low.
Just my .02
Oh and I have a 10 year old daughter who plays rec basketball and she loves to play. She's not very good but just enjoys the game. There are coaches who take it way too serious and show no mercy at times. It is what it is, and even when they lose I have to tell my daughter that if she doesnt like it, she needs to practice more and play better.
Now the coach that was teaching his girls to set moving picks? Yeah, that guy had a problem on his hands after the game was over

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't care about hurting the feelings of players who want to have fun, since there may be a player or two on a team with aspirations to go to college or play professional. I'm not going to stifle a young athletes career just to entertain some other youngster. The fact is that you can earn big money if you get good at a sport. And to get good you have to play your very best every single time. And you can't be your best if your coach is starting to lay off because the other team isn't good.

End rant.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't care about hurting the feelings of players who want to have fun, since there may be a player or two on a team with aspirations to go to college or play professional. I'm not going to stifle a young athletes career just to entertain some other youngster. The fact is that you can earn big money if you get good at a sport. And to get good you have to play your very best every single time. And you can't be your best if your coach is starting to lay off because the other team isn't good.

End rant.

Is that you Ron Swanson?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Disk move by the coach.
Some schools just don't have the talent to keep up with some division rivals. It's not uncommon for teams to lay off the gas for some opponents. The coaches know the teams that won't be able to compete with them ahead of time as well.
Coaches know who their playing. Game plans change accordingly.
This coach is just an ass.

I wouldn't have a problem with the score if it was a tournament.
Tournaments can vary to different skill levels of schools.
If it was a tournament, that school shouldn't have been playing in it.