Buzz around NFL: Eagles won't keep Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from the Pro Day circuit that "some coaches" around the league are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall, where Chip Kelly could select Marcus Mariota. Kelly's affinity for Mariota is well known. Kelly has shown he isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do. We also wouldn't rule out a trade up to No. 1 overall. Bradford's pocket-passer style would fit well in new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter's offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well we've seen how much we can trust coach speak these days...

Coach could marry a player... AND we STILL wouldn't know if that player was safe until probably the preseason games started...

And think of the drama involved with THAT trade...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The Bucs could use the draft picks, and Winston is far from a sure thing to light it up as a rookie so I could see them taking Bradford and picks. It would have to be RGIII esque though.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Coach could marry a player... AND we STILL wouldn't know if that player was safe until probably the preseason games started...

Ricky was safe for a couple years.....but then they lost that spark...
ESPN-Mag-Ricky-Ditka.jpg

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
This is a big thing in Philly right now.

On one hand Kelly came right out and said they would not mortgage their future for Mariotta. They are printing Bradford jerseys as we speak. The whole language of the contract leads you to believe this is it. But.....some fans and pundits refuse to believe it. They have all sorts of theories or trade deals in mind.

I will be shocked if they move Bradford.

Who knows? Maybe they put together a package of draft picks and players that gets them where they want to be for a trade.

But I don't see it.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Pure speculation. I think it's a bunch of pissed off Eagles fans trying to rationalize a trade they got fleeced in. I couldn't care what the Eagles do at this point anyways.

Athos

Legend
I remember Josina Anderson.

Her 'journalistic credibility' is shit, even for ESPN.

Big Willie

Starter
A trade up makes sense to me. The Rams needed a starter, and Foles fit the bill. They are ready to win now, and a rookie would take time to develop. Philly has a young veteran in Sanchez and can afford to take a shot on a rookie, especially one that already knows the offense. Tampa and Tennessee needs a quality starter, and a healthy Bradofrd is that. If Philly were to offer Bradford, their 20th pick and a pick in future pick...the deal should get done. If this were the NBA, it would have been a three team trade and would have ended in the type of result rumored.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I couldn't care what the Eagles do at this point anyways.

I do. If Bradford doesn't play a single snap for the Eagles, that conditional pick we owe them becomes a third if I'm not mistaken. Did we then win the trade? I'd rather he stay with the eagles and not have to give them a premium pick.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I do. If Bradford doesn't play a single snap for the Eagles, that conditional pick we owe them becomes a third if I'm not mistaken. Did we then win the trade? I'd rather he stay with the eagles and not have to give them a premium pick.
I'd assume it's if he doesn't play due to injury and not because hes traded. A trade would nullify the conditional pick altogether. At least I hope that's it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not going to happen Bradford will be an Eagle, but I understand that in today's social media you have to write about something, however, if Bradford was traded it would actually make the Rams look that much better.

The Titans would be absolutely crazy to not draft Mariota with the cast of castoffs they have at quarterback, but if he gets past the Tennessee Tuxedos, Mariota will be a Jet, you know it, I know it and the american people know it!

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler

I get that. The whole trade and all the details are so convoluted I gave up on trying to figure it out. I'm just going to sit back and see what happens.

Shuie3225

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A trade would nullify the conditional pick altogether.

Can anyone verify this? I was under the impression the compensation was a 3rd rounder as long as he didn't play this year period - via injury or trade.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My impression is that the Rams would owe a third if he didn't play a down this season - not necessarily just for the Eagles though. They would owe a fourth if he played less than half the snaps - again for any team. So if he's traded to the Bucs, then the Rams would hope that he took at least one snap for them.

I suppose it's possible that the Eagles snuck very explicit language in the trade agreement, but I'd doubt it.

The bigger issue is - why would a rebuilding team want to get a guy who is expensive, coming off of a huge injury and still rehabbing, and who is a free agent after this season?

I can't see the Bucs doing that, unless SB is just a low value trade piece. Sam's value in 2015 is to contenders who need a QB and who think that Sam will be and stay healthy this coming season.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
At this point in this crazy offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if any trade happened whether it be draft day or before. Can't wait for the draft

FRO

Legend
Why would they hold a press conference for a guy they don't plan to keep. They were offered a first round pick for the guy and still kept him. You don't trade for a guy to then try and flip him. Let's be clear the Eagles went after Bradford.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd assume it's if he doesn't play due to injury and not because hes traded. A trade would nullify the conditional pick altogether. At least I hope that's it.

Oh okay. I was under the impression it was determined by how much he played for the eagles.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
ESPN's Josina Anderson passes along buzz from the Pro Day circuit that "some coaches" around the league are "not convinced" the Eagles will keep Sam Bradford.

There's belief in league circles that Bradford will be used as trade bait to get to the Titans at No. 2 overall, where Chip Kelly could select Marcus Mariota. Kelly's affinity for Mariota is well known. Kelly has shown he isn't scared to make bold, complicated football decisions. It's anyone's guess as to what he'll do. We also wouldn't rule out a trade up to No. 1 overall. Bradford's pocket-passer style would fit well in new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter's offense.
wow, get Bradford to renegotiate his contract down and then dump him. Would Condon allow that to happen?