Bud Grant urges NFL to change rules to reduce kneeldowns, fair catches, touchbacks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Bud Grant urges NFL to change rules to reduce kneeldowns, fair catches, touchbacks​

Hall of Fame former Vikings coach Bud Grant is, at 95, almost as old as the NFL itself. But he’s not done offering suggestions for how the league can improve quality of play.

Grant told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he wants to take out the boring parts of every game, specifically kneeldowns at the end of the game, fair catches on punts and touchbacks on kickoffs.

“I would complain to people about the idea that when the trailing team was out of timeouts, the quarterback starts kneeling down and the fans are leaving,” Grant said. The answer always was, ‘There’s nothing that can be done about it.’ I kept thinking about it and decided, ‘Yes, there is. The team on offense has to make a yard — 1 yard — to stop the clock. A few things can happen when trying to make a yard. You can get stuffed. You can fumble. You can get a penalty. And you keep the fans interested.”

Grant, a four-time Grey Cup winner who is also in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, also wants the NFL to follow the CFL’s lead on punts.

“I attended enough meetings to know the NFL wants to avoid admitting Canadian football has a better idea about anything. Yet, they should follow Canada and take away the fair catch,” Grant said. “There’s no fair catch in Canada, but the coverage also has to give the returner 5 yards. NFL people hear this and they’ll say, ‘It will increase injuries.’ The 5-yard cushion makes all the difference. My opinion is there won’t be a real increase in injuries, and the punt would become an interesting play.”

Grant also wants to disincentivize touchbacks on kickoffs.

“Why bother, if your goal is to make the kickoff the most-nothing play in football? They say it’s about safety. Injuries happen on every play,” Grant said. “They have made several changes on the way you can block on the kickoff. They can keep those. But you wait three minutes through a timeout, they come back, kick off, walk the ball out to 25. It’s ridiculous. Move the kickoff back 5 yards [to the 30], and if you don’t bring it out, you don’t get rewarded with the 25. You get the ball at the 15.”

Unfortunately for Grant, the NFL has prioritized injury reduction in its rules changes, and kickoffs and punts are at the top of the list of plays the NFL wants to make safer. Which means there’s really no chance of Grant’s rules being implemented. And Grant’s proposal for eliminating kneeldowns could also increase injuries late in games. So it’s safe to say the NFL won’t be bringing Grant on as a rules consultant, no matter how passionate he is for adding to the sport’s entertainment value.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The only suggestion I care for is the “no fair catch” rule. Things happen when a guy HAS to return it—penalties, fumbles, big returns/hits.

The kneel downs are really for the “unwinding” after a physical contest. They don’t officially shake hands afterwards like they do in hockey.

Not sure starting at the 15 is gonna do anything for providing more excitement to the game, but if you want more returns, go ahead and push the kicker back to the 30.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I wouldn’t mind allowing teams to choose if they want to receive the opening kickoff of the game / after half time. If a team chooses to not, they simply start on offense at the 25, which typically happens most of the time any way. I guess they could apply this logic to when a team scores as well, but I think it’d make sense to experiment with the opening kickoff / halftime.

In terms of fair catches, I’m cool with keeping those. They make sense to have.

Let’s say there’s 40 sec left in a game, the team that’s losing has 0 timeouts (and not on offense), and it’s first or second down on offense for the winning team, I think they should be allowed to elect to end the game and not go through the kneel downs. Although, I always kind of liked the victory formation, it could probably be eliminated.

But I think what would really help is LESS COMMERCIALS!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bud Grant is an idiot imo.

Kneel downs at the end of the game only happen when there is a certain amount of time left. If the opponent wants to avoid a kneel down then they should have played better. Don’t penalize a team for winning.

Fair catches are for protecting players. Pretty simple concept. Bud’s brain is still stuck in the 70’s

Starting on the 15 favors defense which is not what the league wants. Offense sells.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kneel downs at the end of the game only happen when there is a certain amount of time left. If the opponent wants to avoid a kneel down then they should have played better. Don’t penalize a team for winning.

Fair catches are for protecting players. Pretty simple concept. Bud’s brain is still stuck in the 70’s

Starting on the 15 favors defense which is not what the league wants. Offense sells.
bud coached the purple people eaters. he loves defense.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Bud's ideas are kind of dumb but if you want a quick/interesting read, look up Bud Grant's Bio.

This guy had an AMAZING sports-life!

He played for NFL-coaching-legend Paul Brown ... while in the Military; and then played in the NBA with George Mikan and the Champion Minneapolis Lakers.

After a couple years in the NBA, Grant went to the NFL and played with the Philadelphia Eagles. He was a starting DE and played with future Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik. Then he switched to Receiver, and was second in the NFL in receiving yards ... ahead of several future HOFs including, the Rams' "Crazy Legs" Hirsch and Tom Fears. The next season, Grant went to the CFL for more $, and the Eagles moved another future HOF Pete Pihos to replace Grant at receiver.

In the CFL, he was a top-receiver and played on Defense. He had 5 interceptions in a game ... in ONE Game! Grant was named Head Coach in the CFL at the age of 29, and was 30 at the time he coached his first game .. Sound familiar? One year younger than some current Head Coach.

Last edited:

RamInferno

UDFA
“I would complain to people about the idea that when the trailing team was out of timeouts, the quarterback starts kneeling down and the fans are leaving,” Grant said. The answer always was, ‘There’s nothing that can be done about it.’ I kept thinking about it and decided, ‘Yes, there is. The team on offense has to make a yard — 1 yard — to stop the clock. A few things can happen when trying to make a yard. You can get stuffed. You can fumble. You can get a penalty. And you keep the fans interested.”
Why would the team taking a knee want to stop the clock? They are trying to run out the clock, not gain yards. His suggestion doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe think for 2 seconds before publishing the ramblings of senile old men (referring to the author of the article, not the person who posted it here).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I concur here and I like Bud Grant....Not sure why you interview a guy, who is 95, but kudos to Bud for long living and always ice fishing maybe that's the key to longevity, however, it's obvious Bud is out of his element.

BTW for everyone that wants to remove the fair catch, has never been hit trying to return a kick. Adapt or die and you adapt to protect the players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I so remember Carl Eller & Alan Page, broke my heart those rotten bastids...
train
Yeah, the Rams could not beat the Vikings in Bloomington that's for sure. George Allen couldn't do it and neither could Chuck Knox. Just wished they had built the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome several years earlier and no @Loyal not Creed Humphrey, Hubert Humphrey.

Psycho_X

Legend
’ I kept thinking about it and decided, ‘Yes, there is. The team on offense has to make a yard — 1 yard — to stop the clock. A few things can happen when trying to make a yard. You can get stuffed. You can fumble. You can get a penalty. And you keep the fans interested.”
I'm assuming he meant to say that the offense has to make a yard to keep the clock going? Otherwise, this makes no sense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well you gotta figure Bud learned to count the Viqueen way. 0 fer 1, 0 fer 2, 0 fer 3....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kneel downs are fine, I enjoy seeing that once you sew up a game.

The other two I'd be fine with, but nowadays nobody will see that there is value in them.

The 5 yard cushion would work on punts but first guy to get hurt would be a victim and rallying cry for those who want to see flag football. The 15 yard spot would ensure kickoff returns are more common which is not the league's desired direction.

Sorry Bud. Getting old sucks doesn't it. :laugh1:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Vikings hater!

Yeah - went a GREAT Rams game.Bud’s last season(game?). He went for it on 4th down at Anaheim Stdium.Never heard that place louder.
The Rams made a beautiful Goal Line Stance to win it.That excellent CB & PR guy was Rod Woodson.Talk about an exciting PR guy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
hated that mfer with a white hot passion

train

Been watching The NFL Greatest player. Fran I don’t think made it.

Roger did & Tom as well. 20 straight winning seasons.

Allen Page & Marshall ? The purple people eaters was what really made the Vikings. Fran was just hard to bring down & would wear The Rams D out. Then they had that WR who changed his name Robert Earl Moore from Oregon that made it easy for Fran to find.