Bucs trade Eric Wright to Whiners (any threat?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Eric Wright's tumultuous time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is over.

The Bucs announced Friday they have traded Wright to the San Francisco 49ers on Friday for a conditional 2014 draft pick. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported, via a source, it's a late-round pick.

It's a surprising move, but Wright's career has been heading in the wrong direction since he landed in Tampa, Fla. Signed to a ridiculously expensive five-year, $37.5 million contract in 2012, Wright was arrested for DUI and separately suspended for performance enhancing drugs.

Those infractions got the Buccaneers off the hook for Wright's previously guaranteed $7.75 million 2013 salary. Instead, he was forced to take a huge pay cut down to $1.5 million with incentives. The 49ers now inherit that contract.

The trade creates interesting fallout on both teams, especially the 49ers. Cornerback already was a crowded position in San Francisco with Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers, Nnamdi Asomugha and Perrish Cox, among others.

Rogers, 32, has been a stalwart for the team but has a huge salary-cap figure at $8.1 million. We mentioned Rogers as a potential cap casualty much earlier this offseason, and it's possible he could be on the roster bubble. Asomugha also has to wonder if he's a lock to make the team now.

In Tampa, the move looks like a vote of confidence for rookie Johnthan Banks and Darrelle Revis' health. The second-round pick should start opposite Revis.

You guys think he'll turn his career around in San Fran?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
JMO, but if they're going to cut Rogers loose to replace with Wright, that looks like a downgrade to me. Asamough (sp), Reid, Dahl, Wright...looks like they're taking on a lot of projects in the secondary.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Scared? nah, sounds like they are scared of our new weapons. They will need extra DBs because all their tongues are going to be hanging out by halftime!!! Bitches!

iced

LOL YESSSS!!!

I live in the Tampa area.

SF Niners defense just took a hit!! lol... he graded out in the 70s out of 80 or so starting DB's in coverage

FRO

Legend
Their secondary sounds weak. I was surprised they didn't get a CB with all their draft picks and the depth of the CB position in the draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No question Niners roster was better last year. They lost Soapoaga, D. Walker, Gholston, and Crabtree is out for the season. That's quite a bit to overcome. Now their secondary looks pretty weak. Who's afraid of Willis and Boweman when big players are being made through the air?

Wright is a gamble. If they do cut Rogers for Wright, it makes it an even bigger gamble. Cracks in the armor anyone? :D

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
PrometheusFaulk said:
JMO, but if they're going to cut Rogers loose to replace with Wright, that looks like a downgrade to me. Asamough (sp), Reid, Dahl, Wright...looks like they're taking on a lot of projects in the secondary.

:plus1:

Yep. That would make much sense for a supposed SB contender

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope Eric Wright stays with the Whiners. The guy flat out sucks at playing football. Sucked with the Browns, sucked with the Lions, sucked with the Bucs, and he'll suck with his newest team as well.

:lmao:

iced

Memento said:
I hope Eric Wright stays with the Whiners. The guy flat out sucks at playing football. Sucked with the Browns, sucked with the Lions, sucked with the Bucs, and he'll suck with his newest team as well.

:lmao:

Exactly

As a Ram's fan, I whole heartedly support this move!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
PrometheusFaulk commenting about the talents of Rogers:

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101045/the-book-on-49ers-corner-carlos-rogers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... los-rogers</a>
The book on 49ers corner Carlos Rogers
Carlos Rogers' contract with the San Francisco 49ers ranks among the NFC West's top three for cornerbacks in guaranteed money ($10.65 million), 2013 base salary ($5.5 million) and average per year ($7.325 million).

Where does Rogers rank as a corner?

"I'm lukewarm on him," Matt Williamson, ESPN's NFL scout, said. "He would start for just about every team, but if he is a $7 million guy, maybe I'd rather use a second-round pick on a corner and use that money on someone else."

Carlos Rogers has 15 interceptions in eight seasons, including a career-best six in 2011.
The 49ers did not take that route in the 2013 draft, and when it ended, reporters asked general manager Trent Baalke whether he felt Rogers could match up against some of the new wide receivers in the NFC West, notably Percy Harvin and Tavon Austin. Last season, Rogers had his hands full against the St. Louis Rams' Danny Amendola, leading former NFL coach Rick Venturi to say Amendola turned Rogers "every way but loose" in Week 10.

The 49ers, by their actions in the draft and free agency, do not appear particularly concerned.

"You always talk about matchups -- are we manning up these guys, or are we playing zone and covering them in an umbrella type of situation?" Baalke told reporters when pressed about the team's options at slot corner specifically. "So, I think we've got to look at it a lot of different ways. And you take care of certain things with scheme more than just one-on-one matchups."

Cian Fahey of Pre-snap Reads, who previously took game-by-game looks at NFC West cornerbacks Richard Sherman (here) and Patrick Peterson (here), dove into Rogers' 2012 performance this week. He saw what Venturi saw against Amendola, who is now safely outside the NFC West after signing with New England. Fahey also noted Rogers' struggles against slot receivers Early Doucet, Randall Cobb, Doug Baldwin and Austin Pettis.

But there are reasons the 49ers decided to guarantee $1.25 million of Rogers' upcoming salary by keeping him on the roster past April 1.

"Tackling is a vital part of Rogers' game," Fahey wrote. "While he doesn't have the superior coverage ability of his peers, he is a good fit with the 49ers because he doesn't allow big plays after the catch and he's not a liability in run defense. According to Pro Football Focus, Rogers made 59 tackles last season and missed just three. That ratio for a player who primarily played the slot cornerback role in the NFC West is incredible."

I circled back with Williamson for some final thoughts:
"Rogers is a tough evaluation. He came in as a first-round pick. He is a first-round caliber tools guy: not small, long arms, pretty fluid, moves well. But he more or less never lived up to that in Washington. His first year with the Niners (2011) was his best as a pro, and not just for the six interceptions. I would bet he will never reach those six picks again. I felt like that first year in San Francisco on a very good defense with a good pass-rush, he was good. Last year, I thought he was an average NFL starting corner. I don't know the guy or know his motivation, but I wondered if he coasted a little bit. He can play the slot, and he benefits from a strong supporting cast. He will not be a top corner who you put on the opponent's best receiver every week. He is a good fit, but it wouldn't shock me if you're looking to replace him, too."

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well he got arrested for DUI <a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/19/bucs-disclosed-wright-arrest-to-49ers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-49ers/</a>

So yeah..didn't care before and care even less now.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RCummingsTBO/status/359396142527688706[/tweet]

Via twitter - @RCummingsTBO

:lmao: Whatever either or...

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
LMAO another Fail for the beginning of a fail season! GJ Whiners..... the beginning of the end is starting for you. Douche Bag all about me QB, acl tears, failed CB's..... starting to pile up under all the weight of expectations. I don't see them being as good as they were last year. Maybe Seattle but not the ninny's...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Feels a bit desperate 49er fans...

:cool:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know they were saying the same shit about us after we picked up Titus Young.

"They'll NEVER get a receiver over there - lolololol."
Or some shit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
You know they were saying the same shit about us after we picked up Titus Young.

"They'll NEVER get a receiver over there - lolololol."
Or some shit.

And then we got Cook, Austin, and Bailey, so jokes on them. :mrgreen:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Going to ejoy that joke of a secondary try to cover all of our WR's