Brockers feeling "refreshed" heading into 8th pro season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Brockers feeling "refreshed" heading into eighth pro season

Wednesday, May 22, 2019
Myles Simmons RAMS INSIDER

If you think about it, the age 28 is still considered quite young by most standards.

Now that doesn’t mean 28-year-old veteran defensive lineman Michael Brockers is old in football years. But he has reached the point where he’s the second-longest tenured Ram — behind only long snapper Jake McQuaide.

But speaking to the D-lineman entering his eighth pro season after Tuesday’s OTA practice, Brockers said he’s feeling great during this 2019 offseason program.

“I don’t know if I’m lying or not, but I feel refreshed,” Brockers told therams.com. “I feel — coming from the Super Bowl loss, that fire kind of drives you some more. So just ready to get back out there.”

Falling to the Patriots in February, Brockers continued, “created that fire in us just to get back. We know that was a great team that we lost to, but we know we could’ve done better ourselves.

So just coming out here, making the adjustments, getting better each and every day — I think that’s the most important thing — we’ll be back.”

He sort of noted it there, but Brockers added specifically that he feels the entire team has appeared to come back with a sense of refreshment for another run at a Lombardi Trophy.

“I think everybody feels the same way. Everybody — we’re glad how the season went, we were happy about it. But as far as how it ended, we know we could’ve finished better, and we want to finish better,” Brockers said.

“So I think that’s what drives us each and every day coming in here, the whole team showing up for OTAs and voluntary OTAs and stuff like that — it just shows that we want to get back to that championship.”

Part of that also comes from the steady leadership of head coach Sean McVay, who has set the tone and the standard since he arrived in L.A. back in 2017.

“He’s been cool, calm, and collected. He’s all about getting better,” Brockers said of his head coach. “He said it himself — nobody’s above coaching, including himself. So he’s doing nothing but trying to get back to that championship.

But it’s not like a super burning, burning desire. It’s like, let’s do what we’ve always done — let’s be us.”

As the Rams continue in that process, they also have to integrate players like veteran newcomers safety Eric Weddle and linebacker Clay Matthews — players whose objectives goals align with those of the Rams as they get to the later stages of their respective careers.

“They bring that veteran leadership that veteran leadership that you need in the backend, to talk to some of the young guys,” Brockers said.

“Some of that experience that they have, they’ve been in the situations, they’ve been in Super Bowls and stuff like that — playoff games. So they understand what’s at stake, too.

And they’re getting a little older, so they feel it even more where it’s like, ‘Hey, it’s do or die, we’ve got to do it now.’ So they’re pushing to get to a championship as well.”

But Brockers is a veteran presence, too, and he appreciates that younger players look up to him as he enters his eighth season.

“It’s kind of happened organically. You know, all of a sudden, I’m one of the oldest guys in the room and people are starting to look up to me, and the coaches are counting on me to be that leader.

It happened, like I said, organically and I’ve accepted the role.”

Feeling refreshed after the shortest offseason he’s ever had, Brockers will be a key piece of the defensive unit for a Rams team looking to continue recent success.

https://www.therams.com/news/brockers-feeling-refreshed

ibfd6ut28fcmri4vupuz.jpg

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He needs a big year or he's at the top of the cut list IMO. He needs to be dominant in the run game and give more pass rush than 1-2 sacks.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He needs a big year or he's at the top of the cut list IMO. He needs to be dominant in the run game and give more pass rush than 1-2 sacks.

Since he'll be a free agent, I guarantee he won't be cut.

My understanding is that he was fighting an injury or two most of the season, that hindered him just a bit. Of course, he's old enough and been banged around enough it could become the norm that he is fighting injuries (more than all players fight injuries)

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Since he'll be a free agent, I guarantee he won't be cut.

My understanding is that he was fighting an injury or two most of the season, that hindered him just a bit. Of course, he's old enough and been banged around enough it could become the norm that he is fighting injuries (more than all players fight injuries)

I know he was hurt. He landed on his shoulder in a game early in the year and wasn't the same. I didn't know he was going into the last year of his deal. Feels like he signed his 2nd deal a year or two ago lol.

Ram65

Legend
I expect Brockers will have his best year if healthy. He needs sto get some more pressures and sacks. Should be ready at 5 Tech after getting experience and not worrying about being a NT.

oldnotdead

Legend
Brockers is in his final contract year. Next year he will be a FA and frankly, I'd be surprised if he's brought back. He's no longer the impact player they need at his position. He rarely if ever faces a double team but he's MIA on most snaps. He hasn't been strong at the POA on runs as well. He better be "refreshed" and have a breakout year if he wants to stay. But if he does, he will be too expensive to keep.

John Franklin-Myers has flashed enough last season to make him the guy to replace Brockers if he continues to play well. Myers "flaws" pre-draft were primarily technique related and he seems to have been working on that. One of the biggest knocks on him was his inability to stack and shed in the run game. I never saw enough of him in college to pass judgement on that, but by his play last year he seems to be shaping up pretty well.

If Fowler is re-signed long term next year, and Obo shows enough, then it would be interesting to see if they use Obo in rotation on both sides.

DeSilva claims that Ebukam's production has fallen off. But it makes me wonder if he understands Wade's defense at all. Sampson is playing a true OLB (SAM) so his role has changed. He actually played quite well last year. What will be interesting will be if Fowler doesn't play well enough to re-sign. Do they keep Brockers one more year? Personally I would say they probably wouldn't.

IMO Brockers is a poor fit at DE in Wade's scheme. IMO Brocker's fit is playing a 3 technique in a standard 4-3 scheme.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Brockers is in his final contract year. Next year he will be a FA and frankly, I'd be surprised if he's brought back. He's no longer the impact player they need at his position. He rarely if ever faces a double team but he's MIA on most snaps. He hasn't been strong at the POA on runs as well. He better be "refreshed" and have a breakout year if he wants to stay. But if he does, he will be too expensive to keep.

John Franklin-Myers has flashed enough last season to make him the guy to replace Brockers if he continues to play well. Myers "flaws" pre-draft were primarily technique related and he seems to have been working on that. One of the biggest knocks on him was his inability to stack and shed in the run game. I never saw enough of him in college to pass judgement on that, but by his play last year he seems to be shaping up pretty well.

If Fowler is re-signed long term next year, and Obo shows enough, then it would be interesting to see if they use Obo in rotation on both sides.

DeSilva claims that Ebukam's production has fallen off. But it makes me wonder if he understands Wade's defense at all. Sampson is playing a true OLB (SAM) so his role has changed. He actually played quite well last year. What will be interesting will be if Fowler doesn't play well enough to re-sign. Do they keep Brockers one more year? Personally I would say they probably wouldn't.

IMO Brockers is a poor fit at DE in Wade's scheme. IMO Brocker's fit is playing a 3 technique in a standard 4-3 scheme.

You make some good points, though, I’m not sure where Brockers fits best ? I just know he is a solid Ram ! He has been the defensive line leader for a couple years even with Donald & Suh. If his play lagged ? Who knows why ? He is a stud and has played through injuries over the years.
As Brockers says, it sort of organically happens. Will what happens after the season.
I remember posters were going crazy to just cut him & save cap space.

I have to laugh when thinking about Tru franchised twice & even Joyner. Then Mark Barrons contract.
Brockers came out his Jr. Year from LSU, and has been one of the best core Rams in a long time. He is a young 28 . What maturity he has shown over the years !!!You can see what he has meant to The Rams when he went out against Atlanta when he got hurt .

He is still Snead’s first draft pick & apart of what could have been The Best trade in NFL history !!! Still think Les Snead could be getting draft picks from it if he trades back with his old trading partners of The Bills, or even with his old regime the Falcons. Plus had RG111 right after he was released from Washington if in the right situation by Fisher,could have been The Rams starter.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You make some good points, though, I’m not sure where Brockers fits best ? I just know he is a solid Ram ! He has been the defensive line leader for a couple years even with Donald & Suh. If his play lagged ? Who knows why ? He is a stud and has played through injuries over the years.

I believe acquiring Suh is what initially cost Brockers his more natural fit. It was reported that Brockers cut his weight down by some 25-30 lbs. during the 2018 pre-season to become a more viable LDE. Dropping that much weight likely also cost him some strength, all while hoping for increased speed from the edge. Statistically, Brockers had his worst year since coming into the NFL last season. Until we see whether Brockers has added size and strength it will be difficult to read much into this years training regimen, although I can't imagine his role changing all that much from last season with a rookie NT and a 2 year man competing for snaps on both the inside and outside. With Suh gone now i'll assume Brockers will take a majority of his snaps as an interior DT as he did in 2017, but rotating out in favor of Gaines on the more obvious rushing plays. By no means should this development change Brockers rotational role at LDE, but I do picture fewer snaps here as Franklin-Myers takes on a bigger role. jmo.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Brockers is a big guy listed at 305 but not a nose tackle type. Will a guy with the constant motor like Gaines help? I have to wonder if maybe the regular season Suh forced Brockers to play differently? When Suh upped his game in the postseason it seemed like the whole line played well.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If Brockers and Fowler are not brought back it will only because they needed the money to pay Goff not because of their play on the field.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If Brockers and Fowler are not brought back it will only because they needed the money to pay Goff not because of their play on the field.
IN 2020, the Rams have over $40 million in cap space and Goff is under contract. I think they can afford both beyond 2020 even with a new Goff contract.