Bradford sharp, but not much else goes right for Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Bradford sharp, but not much else goes right for Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_23b1e4e1-b657-5697-8e35-246152d318a3.html

Preseason game No. 2 was a mixed bag for the Rams. On defense they had no antidote for Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers who put up 10 quick points in what became a 21-7 Packers victory Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome.

On offense, they couldn't budge the line of scrimmage in the running game, despite a lot of work in that area during the practice week.

Running back Zac Stacy had only six yards on six carries while the starting offense was on the field, albeit a starting unit missing two line starters _ left tackle Jake Long and right guard Rodger Saffold.

But quarterback Sam Bradford passed his first test with flying colors, completing nine of 12 passes for 101 yards and a touchdown, good for a passer rating of 127.4. Just as important symbolically, Bradford survived his first hit, and a big one at that when Julius Peppers steamed around left tackle Greg Robinson and flattened Bradford from behind.

But Bradford bounced right up, got back in the huddle and completed his next three passes to finish off a 76-yard touchdown drive.

"I felt good," Bradford said. "It was nothing new. I've been here before. I think for everyone else it's probably a bigger deal for me to get back out on the field. But it was nice to get out there in a live game, feel the pass rush, get the ball out of my hand, go out there and execute the way that we did."

The best part of the TD drive was a deep ball over the middle to Brian Quick. Quick went up to get the ball in traffic, and came down with it _ something Rams coaches and Quick have worked hard to make part of his game. Quick then added several yards after the catch for a 41-yard gain.

"Big catch," Bradford said. "That's what we've seen from him from OTAs, during training camp. I mean, he's made plays like that for a long time now and it's good to finally see it showing up on the field. I expect to see a lot of that from him this year."

Quick got behind the Green Bay secondary a second time on the drive with cornerback Sam Shields grabbing him to prevent a touchdown. The resulting pass interference penalty gave the Rams a first down a the Packers 17. Four plays and a penalty later, Bradford zipped an 11-yard TD pass caught by tight end Lance Kendricks despite blanket coverage by Packers safety Micah Hyde.

That narrowed Green Bay's lead to 10-7 midway through the second quarter. Bradford was done for the day after two series.

"I felt like we moved the ball the second drive," Kendricks said. "I felt like we got comfortable. The first drive was a little shaky, but the second drive we really found our (stride) and we pushed the all down the field great."

Bradford's biggest miss came on the Rams' opening drive when he had Kenny Britt open streaking down the right sideline. But Bradford was just a little wide on his throw, which came down out of bounds.

Just a few plays earlier, Bradford showed that he's not thinking about his surgically repaired knee. Coach Jeff Fisher decided to go for it on fourth-and-3 from the Green Bay 43. With pass rushers swarming all around him, Bradford hung in the pocket and threw to tight end Jared Cook on a crossing pattern for a four-yard gain and a first down.

On the minus side, Rodgers toyed with the Rams' defense, completing 11 of 13 passes for 128 yards in his two series, leading the Packers to a touchdown and a field goal.

For the newcomers on the St. Louis defense, they got a taste of what it's like to play an elite quarterback. With neither team blitzing while the opposing team's starting quarterback was in the game, Rodgers bought time with his feet when needed, and as is almost always the case displayed pinpoint accuracy.

Rookie nickel back Lamarcus Joyner struggled to keep up. On the Packers' opening drive, Joyner appeared to get tangled up in the end zone, while Rodgers avoided the rush by moving the pocket to the right. He then rifled a strike to Randall Cobb in the back of the end zone for a three-yard touchdown pass on 2nd-and-goal.

On Green Bay's second possession, Rodgers once again scrambled away from pressure to his right and had time to survey the field. While the Rams scrambled around trying to keep up tight end Andrew Quarless got loose down field.

Rodgers threw another strike for a 35-yard gain to the Rams 12 before Joyner caught up to make the tackle. This time, the Rams held Green Bay to a field goal but only after an illegal use of hands penalty against Green Bay wiped out a TD pass from Rodgers to Jordy Nelson.

The score remained 10-7 Green Bay until late in the third quarter when backup Packers QB Matt Flynn completed a short pass over the middle to Jeff Janis, who nobody picked up on a crossing route. Janis turned up field and ended up scoring a 34-yard TD. Flynn then completed a two-point conversion pass to Davante Adams for an 18-7 lead with 1:01 to play in the third quarter.

The Packers added a 49-yard field by Mason Crosby with 6:46 left in the game. Highlights were few and far between for St. Louis. Greg Zuerlein missed wide right on a 55-yard field goal attempt earlier in the quarter. But Michael Sam registered his first sack of the preseason, dropping Flynn in the first quarter to force the Crosby field goal.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bradford strong in return for Rams
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1435095.html

ST. LOUIS — Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is back.

Bradford made his preseason debut against the Green Bay Packers on Saturday afternoon at Edward Jones Dome and looked good in his first action since his season-ending knee injury in Week 7 last year.

Bradford directed the Rams’ first two series on Saturday. He completed nine of 12 passes (75 percent) for 101 yards and a touchdown and recorded a quarterback rating of 127.4.

"It felt good," Bradford said. "It was nothing new. I've been here before. I think for everyone else it's probably a bigger deal for me to get back out on the field. But it was nice to get out there in a live game, feel the pass rush, get the ball out of my hand and go out there and execute the way that we did. I thought it was good."

He hooked up with Jared Cook on a shallow crossing pattern to convert a fourth down on the Rams’ first possession, but that drive fizzled out after that because of a holding and illegal formation penalties.

Bradford opened his second series with a nice 41-yard completion to Brian Quick down the middle of the field and finished it by zipping an 11-yard touchdown pass to tight end Lance Kendricks on a seam route.

Shaun Hill came in at quarterback for the Rams’ third series in the middle of the second quarter with the Rams trailing 10-7.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
My only complaint is Sam should have drilled Britt and not have tried to loft that one. Bradford was dam good, the playcalling was super vanilla, and the OL really struggled to get any push. It looked like preseason, so I'm good.

My only REAL concern is defending those dam short passes. It was super basic against a decade QB. Rogers is the best in the game. Hell, I think he may be the best I've ever seen.

RamBill

Legend
Bradford's return a step in right direction
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10581/bradfords-return-a-step-in-right-direction

ST. LOUIS -- After St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford stood in the pocket and fired a picture perfect 11-yard touchdown pass to tight end Lance Kendricks early in the second quarter, it looked on television like he turned to his sideline and yelled, "I'm back!"

After Saturday's 21-7 preseason loss to the Green Bay Packers, Bradford said those weren't his words and instead he was offering a popular meeting room catchphrase to fellow quarterbacks and offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. But even if Bradford didn't say it, he might as well have.

For someone who hasn't played in a live football game in 300 days, Bradford's return against the Green Bay Packers on Saturday afternoon was mostly a success. If Bradford didn't want to boldly announce his return, his head coach had no problems doing so on his behalf.

"Anybody that had questions about Sam’s condition, his physical condition, I think they were answered," coach Jeff Fisher said. "I was very pleased with his performance in the brief amount of time that he played. You see he had the fastball and the great throw to Brian [Quick] and also to Lance. I’m happy with his game. I know he’s excited that thing is clearly behind him now and we’ll move forward. That was encouraging."

Bradford didn't move the Rams up and down the field on his two series with the ease of Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers but that wasn't necessarily the goal considering Bradford hadn't played in a game since Oct. 20, 2013. No, the main objective for Bradford on Saturday afternoon had nothing to do with statistics and everything to do with getting him used to being back in the mix.

Fisher called Bradford off after two series and 18 snaps -- 12 pass plays and six run plays. Four more plays were wiped away by penalty.

Along the way, Bradford didn't come under too much pressure as the Rams clearly made a point of protecting him with quick, short throws, though some would argue that's just business as usual. Either way, Bradford held up just fine physically, only really taking one hard hit courtesy of Green Bay linebacker Julius Peppers.

"I knew I was going to take a hit or two today, that's just part of the game," Bradford said. "But it's always nice to get that first one under your belt knowing that everything is going to be OK."

That Bradford's final stat line looked the way it did was really just a bonus. He finished 9 of 12 for 101 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions for a rating of 127.4.

The first Bradford-led drive came with some ups and downs as he knocked off a little bit of rust. He hung in the pocket in the face of pressure to convert a fourth-down pass to tight end Jared Cook for 5 yards.

Two penalties and a short incompletion later, Bradford took his first deep shot when receiver Kenny Britt came open down the right sideline. The throw was a beat late and too wide, falling incomplete and led to a punt two snaps later.

"I just missed it outside a little bit," Bradford said. "It was an opportunity for a big play, just got to beep it inbounds. I like the decision, just have to give him a better ball."

Whatever rust might have lingered on that misfire disappeared on Bradford's second series. On the team's lone scoring drive, Bradford went 4 of 5 for 63 yards and a touchdown. His two most impressive completions came within those four connections, including a 41-yarder to Quick on a ball that was a little high but still on target and the touchdown to Kendricks.

On the touchdown pass, Bradford fired over the middle of the field to a seemingly covered Kendricks, but the ball had enough velocity on it that it cut through Green Bay's defense and led Kendricks to an open spot.

Bradford chose not to share what he actually shouted to the sideline in celebration, but he definitely sent a message.

"In the quarterback room we've kind of got something we say and I looked over at Schotty and gave him one of those," Bradford said. "So, it was just kind of a signal to him."

For Bradford, it's a long road between the second preseason game and a successful regular season, but Saturday's performance was clearly a step in the right direction.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford had an impressive preseason debut in his first game back from last year’s season ending knee injury. (1:12)

Watch Bradford's Highlights

RamBill

Legend
Bradford is good, but Packers are better
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b0159eed-e9b6-5ffe-8007-e06ea0fecae9.html

The Rams were little more than a speed bump for Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay’s no-huddle offense Saturday.

Despite lots of work on the running game during the practice week, the Rams managed only 78 yards and 2.9 yards a carry on the ground.

Run defense? Not good enough, with the Rams allowing 125 yards and 4.2 yards per carry to Eddie Lacy and Co.

Penalties? Plenty. The Rams were in double figures again, with 10 penalties for 76 yards, although it should be noted that there’s an epidemic of flags throughout the NFL this preseason.

But the most important thing to come out of the contest, played in a half-empty Edward Jones Dome, was the play of quarterback Sam Bradford. Easy enough to overlook in a 21-7 loss were Bradford’s nine completions in 12 attempts, good for 101 yards, a touchdown, and a passer

rating of 127.4.

“I was very pleased with his performance in the brief amount of time that he played,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “You could see, he has his fastball. It was a great throw to Brian (Quick) and also to Lance (Kendricks).

Bradford threw a strike to Quick on a deep-in pattern on the Rams’ second possession of the game. Quick got some yards after the catch, making it a 41-yard gain to the Green Bay 35 before being brought down. Six plays later, Bradford worked through his progressions and found Kendricks over the middle for an 11-yard touchdown.

Kendricks was blanketed by Packers safety Micah Hyde in coverage, so the throw had to be perfect — or close to it.

“To be honest, we’ve called that play quite a bit in training camp, and I’m not sure the ball has ever gone there,” Bradford said. “But it was just a look where their safety was playing outside and Lance did a great job of getting around the ‘backer and inside the safety. ... That’s not an easy catch.”

After that throw, Bradford was done for the day. As was the case with Rodgers and the Packers, Bradford played only two series before making way for Shaun Hill, Garrett Gilbert, and Austin Davis.

Bradford wasn’t perfect. Among his three incompletions was a deep sideline heave to Kenny Britt who had gotten behind the Packers’ secondary on the Rams’ first possession. But the throw was a little wide and ended up a couple of feet out of bounds. Otherwise, it might have been a touchdown.

“I just missed it outside a little bit,” Bradford said. “It was an opportunity for a big play — just gotta keep it inbounds.”

But among the 22 plays Bradford was on the field, two others said more about his night than any other completion or miss.

Three plays before the miss to Britt, the Rams faced a fourth-and-3 from the Green Bay 43. Fisher likes to practice situational football when possible in the preseason, and in this instance he decided to go for it.

With pass rushers surrounding him in the pocket, Bradford stayed patient, waiting for tight end Jared Cook to clear on a short crossing pattern.

If Bradford was worried about his surgically repaired left knee, he might’ve thrown early or even bailed out. Instead, he calmly completed a five-yard pass for a first down.

“We had confidence in him,” Fisher said. “He knew what to do. He knew what was going to unfold. We liked the look. He had options, he read it out, and made a good throw.”

Another play of note came on the second Rams possession, just two plays after the big catch by Quick. On second-and-7 from the Green Bay 32, eight-time Pro Bowler Julius Peppers got around rookie Greg Robinson and walloped Bradford from the blindside. (Robinson started at left tackle before moving to left guard later.)

Was Fisher wincing at the sight of Peppers moving in like a shark about devour its prey?

“No, no,” Fisher said. “Sam’s taken a lot of hits in his young career in the pocket. He pops up and goes. His injury (against Carolina) was completely different. He was out of the pocket, he was on the boundary. It was something weird that happened.”

Bradford did pop up quickly, as if almost telling the crowd and the coaching: Nothing to see here. I’m fine; totally fine.

“I think it was good for everyone to see,” Bradford said. “I’m gonna take hits this year, and I’m gonna get up. That’s what I’ve done in the past. But to get that first hit under my belt and know that everything’s gonna be OK, it was a big relief.”

Other than Bradford’s play — and the play of Quick and Kendricks — there wasn’t much to get excited about Saturday. On offense, the Rams couldn’t budge the line of scrimmage in the running game.

Starter Zac Stacy had only six yards on six carries while the starting offense was on the field, albeit a starting unit missing starters Jake Long at left tackle and Rodger Saffold at right guard.

“The Packers’ front seven is pretty good, pretty athletic,” Stacy said. “So they made plays. The main thing is just we want to keep improving. We know what we’re capable of in the running game and the passing game.”

On the other side of the ball, Rodgers toyed with the Rams’ defense, completing 11 of 13 passes for 128 yards in his two series, leading the Packers to a touchdown and a field goal.

For the newcomers on the St. Louis defense, they got a taste of what it’s like to play an elite quarterback. Rodgers bought time with his feet when needed, and as is almost always the case, displayed pinpoint accuracy.

Rookie nickel back Lamarcus Joyner struggled to keep up. On the Packers’ opening drive, Joyner appeared to get tangled up in the end zone while Rodgers avoided the rush by moving the pocket to the right. He then rifled a strike to Randall Cobb in the back of the end zone for a three-yard touchdown pass on 2nd-and-goal.

“I’ve just got to work my scrambling technique,” Joyner said. “If the quarterback gets out of the pocket you’ve got to plaster (stay with) your guy. I kind of had a mental error. That’s something we can correct.”

Nonetheless, Joyner was grateful for the experience.

“With a guy like Aaron Rodgers running the offense, he’s pretty much the Commode-in-chief of that offense,” he said. “They go at his pace.”

RamBill

Legend
Rams quarterback Sam Bradford made his preseason debut against the Packers on Saturday, his first game since tearing his ACL in October of last year. Bradford, who played into the 2nd quarter, completed his first five passes and finished 9-of-12 for 101 yards and a touchdown. Video includes comments from Bradford, Kendricks, Quick, and Fisher…plus highlights of the Kendricks TD and the Quick 40 yarder. (1:30)

Watch Rams Post Game Story

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
My only REAL concern is defending those dam short passes. It was super basic against a decade QB. Rogers is the best in the game. Hell, I think he may be the best I've ever seen.

Rodgers looks like he's straight out of a video game. He's just that good.

RamBill

Legend
Rams Coach Jeff Fisher recaps Rams’ loss to Packers with D’Marco Farr and Steve Savard on 101ESPN. Fisher: “Sam is back and everything is behind him.”

Listen to Fisher's Game Recap

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Rodgers looks like he's straight out of a video game. He's just that good.

The guy is incredible. I'm Rams to the bone but I love watching that guy play. He's one of those guys that turns average guys into studs. To top it off, he makes it look so easy out there.

No wonder they were ready to move on from Brett Favor lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The guy is incredible. I'm Rams to the bone but I love watching that guy play. He's one of those guys that turns average guys into studs. To top it off, he makes it look so easy out there.

No wonder they were ready to move on from Brett Favor lol.

We'll never know how much 3 full seasons as a backup helped him. Teams just don't do that anymore.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We'll never know how much 3 full seasons as a backup helped him. Teams just don't do that anymore.

I was just wondering that. You're absolutely right. That guy came in hungry, sharp, no damage, and had no learning curve. We will truly never know. Good stuff, man.