Bradford poised to break out here soon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike, Iowa
Hi Nick, nice to get the win, but the only reason was because of the defense. Once again this offense is bad. Always geting fieldgoals, and not touchdowns. I feel Sam will be a great qb, but there is no doubt that this year he has regressed. I look at these other young qb's and they look better. My questions are what does coach plan to do about the poor red zone production? Is the coaching staff asking to much of Sam right now, I feel it is to much for him to call out the offense line protections, maybe it is time to back off of that so that he can build some confidence?

Nick Wagoner
I asked McDaniels about the line protections and it possibly being too much for Bradford a few weeks ago. He says that's not an issue. Bradford doesn't want to use the new system and trying to learn it as an excuse. But it's definitely affected him. With a healthy Clayton coming back and Lloyd coming on and the run game rolling, if Bradford can get back to full speed, he could well be poised for a big final seven games.

Entire chat here -- <a class="postlink" href="http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1638?a_id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1638?a_id=2</a>

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im still patiently waiting for it. I think hes still having a hard time adjusting to an offense without Amendola. #16 was his safety valve, his security blanket.

In the Browns game, he was really looking for Lloyd a lot, sometimes too much. Im expecting their chemistry and timing to improve and im already on board with resigning Lloyd. I cant wait to see a game soon when we have Clayton and DX 100% healthy, along with Lloyd.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm thinking we will be impressed this week!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I really hope so. Honestly though, I haven't seen anything out of Sam this year that leads me to believe he is anywhere close to playing well consistently. I just hope he will prove capable of executing anything more that the Shurmer offense in this league. Before anyone jumps on me for that comment, just look at the facts and visual evidence thus far in his career. Love ya Sammy, but its time to step up and make YOURSELF proud.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Faceplant said:
I really hope so. Honestly though, I haven't seen anything out of Sam this year that leads me to believe he is anywhere close to playing well consistently. I just hope he will prove capable of executing anything more that the Shurmer offense in this league. Before anyone jumps on me for that comment, just look at the facts and visual evidence thus far in his career. Love ya Sammy, but its time to step up and make YOURSELF proud.

I cant disagree with that. Its been very disappointing. I can point out some glimpses but thats about it. The more I think about it, the more I understand. The offense has made a complete change this season, and our players havent adjusted well. Theres a reason why Bradfords YPA was so low last year. This is an offense that suits Bradford's strengths IMO, and im fully confident that things will improve for him in the upcoming games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
I don't think anyone can logically debate that he's looked so-so at best. And though he won't admit it himself (never will, actually), the fact that he's never had stability at receiver, and the fact that he's learning a complex offensive system, are both hindrances that would screw up anyone's consistency. If he can just get Lloyd, Clayton, Alexander and Pettis -- all together -- for a long stretch, I think he'll turn the corner in these final games.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Faceplant said:
I don't think anyone can logically debate that he's looked so-so at best. And though he won't admit it himself (never will, actually), the fact that he's never had stability at receiver, and the fact that he's learning a complex offensive system, are both hindrances that would screw up anyone's consistency. If he can just get Lloyd, Clayton, Alexander and Pettis -- all together -- for a long stretch, I think he'll turn the corner in these final games.

Don't get me wrong X, I agree with most that Sam has the tools and is capable of becoming a very good QB, I would just like to see him do more with what he has. Truly good QB's can make a weak supporting cast look better by their play. At this point, Sam does not appear to be that kind of QB. I look at other young QB's and I am impressed with what they are able to do with similar or even worse supporting casts. Sam, on paper, has more ability than most but has yet to display a killer instinct and determination on the field consistently. Instability at WR and a complex playbook are absolutely hindrances, but he is not the only young QB that has to deal with those hindrances. Dalton, for example, has had to learn a new system and his #1 WR is a rookie, yet look how well he is playing. Sam is paid a ton of money to be a difference maker at QB, and as of now, he is not. We can only speculate as to whether he will grow into one.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JdashSTL said:
Im still patiently waiting for it. I think hes still having a hard time adjusting to an offense without Amendola. #16 was his safety valve, his security blanket.

In the Browns game, he was really looking for Lloyd a lot, sometimes too much. Im expecting their chemistry and timing to improve and im already on board with resigning Lloyd. I cant wait to see a game soon when we have Clayton and DX 100% healthy, along with Lloyd.

i think that's part of his problem. he should be locking into the open receiver. i guess that will come with more experience.

more worrying is that he has missed alot of open receivers this year. but i think that has more to do with him feeling uncomfortable in the pocket than he's natural ability. i hope he can settle down soon and loosen up. looks like he's playing tight.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The perfectionist Bradford says he is, should show this sunday against the team that stopped him from making his 1st playoff appearance. If he is that perfectionist he will NOT let the seahags hang 2 in a row on him. :hehe:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have to say something regarding Sam "locking on" to receivers. All QB's lock on, you have to see what you are throwing to. On most of the longer throws that I saw we were in max protection, meaning we kept 8 players in to block. That only leaves 2 receivers to run patterns...not a lot of options, but a lot of defenders. We've had to do this to keep Sam clean. It sucks.

A lot of the Rams routes are flood routes, Sam will be looking in the same direction, but he can see two or more guys looking that way, they are just on different levels.

On short routes, the ball is meant to come out as fast as possible, if the initial read is open, that is where he throws it, there are no further progressions. You don't see a guy open, then look off to see if a guy is more open, it doesn't work that way, if you do that you get sacked. Well, there's another problem, he has gotten sacked so much, second in the league with him missing 2 games, that he doesn't feel comfortable going through 3 progressions, the clock is ticking.

On the stick routes that the Rams run, and they run these a lot, Sam will watch the receiver until the break, this may be an option, depending upon the coverage, whether they break in or out. It doesn't matter if he stares them down, because he (his eyes/head) changes levels after they break. The Browns were playing man, so they were playing the receiver anyway, it didn't even matter if he stared them down.

Do we see safeties constantly jumping on plays, breaking passes up, or Sam throwing into double coverage? I don't see it, not often anyway. The pass almost picked off in this game was a bad route from Steven Jackson and the one that was--an outstanding play from Fujita who was shielded by the DL, by the way.

This is what I see going wrong.

#1 Sam is throwing the ball late, like a half a beat late. I see him taking one extra hop or little step before he throws it. Easily fixable and somewhat understandable.

#2 His timing and rhythm is off, he's hurt, and he doesn't fully know or trust his receivers. He's wearing a size 15 shoe on his bad wheel to accommodate the brace. It's hard walking in shoes that are too big, let alone playing quarterback in the NFL.

#3 Sam is a statue in the pocket, he needs to learn to move within the pocket better. It's hard to throw from a static position, and also hard to change positions. They can design movement in the pocket.

#4 The offensive line is not just supposed to prevent a sack, but they are also supposed to keep defenders hands down on a short pass over the middle, and create throwing lanes...they have a hard enough time just blocking, so Sam needs to find a lane--see #3.

#5 New offense, new players almost every week.

I don't see anything that is not fixable. Confidence and experience within this system, along with some continuity of the receivers and the offensive line, and then he will break out. When it happens, everything will click.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
X said:
Faceplant said:

Don't get me wrong X, I agree with most that Sam has the tools and is capable of becoming a very good QB, I would just like to see him do more with what he has. Truly good QB's can make a weak supporting cast look better by their play. At this point, Sam does not appear to be that kind of QB. I look at other young QB's and I am impressed with what they are able to do with similar or even worse supporting casts. Sam, on paper, has more ability than most but has yet to display a killer instinct and determination on the field consistently. Instability at WR and a complex playbook are absolutely hindrances, but he is not the only young QB that has to deal with those hindrances. Dalton, for example, has had to learn a new system and his #1 WR is a rookie, yet look how well he is playing. Sam is paid a ton of money to be a difference maker at QB, and as of now, he is not. We can only speculate as to whether he will grow into one.
That's fair. And your feelings/concerns are well conveyed.

I too am waiting for the "moment" when everything clicks and he just starts shredding defenses. I honestly believe that time is going to come soon. I just know that it has to suck not having the same group of receivers together for a stretch at a time. When he had Clayton for 5 games last year, he looked very good. Same when he had Alexander for a few. Looked good then too. Now he's shuffling through receivers left and right and he lost his safety valve right out of the gates. I'd like for him to be able to throw the team on his back and just drop bombs out there left and right, but I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Not yet anyway. If/when he gets to the level of Manning, and the game slows down for him, then he can probably cope better. Maybe he's a little behind the curve - moreso than we would like - but like I said, that moment is coming.

I can feelz it. :cool:

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR, you have made excellent points as usual. I can't wait to see how Sam plays if he ever gets a decent pocket to throw from. I totally agree that he needs to move more in the pocket too, I mean at least step UP in the pocket to buy more time right?? Your comments, as well as comments by the other good people of this forum are what keep me coming back. X, I will be in the chat room again this Sunday, so we are pretty much golden. Roll up an extra one for me this time brutha.......

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree with Spagnuolo's recent comment where he said that he really thought everything was starting to come together this year for Sam on offense in the Green Bay game.

The Rams were coming off the bye, had Alexander and Salas playing and had Jackson back from injury. Bradford completed 64% and had 300+ yards that game. But got hurt.

When he gets back, he's less than 100% himself and Alexander's out and Salas gets hurt and he's throwing to a receiver(Lloyd) that he hasn't even practiced with. Then Kendkricks gets dinged up and Hoo-Hoo is put on IR.

Forget putting the best guys on the field or upgrading positions, just give Bradford the same lineup for a few weeks in a row and he'll be much better off for now.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
moklerman said:
I agree with Spagnuolo's recent comment where he said that he really thought everything was starting to come together this year for Sam on offense in the Green Bay game.

The Rams were coming off the bye, had Alexander and Salas playing and had Jackson back from injury. Bradford completed 64% and had 300+ yards that game. But got hurt.

When he gets back, he's less than 100% himself and Alexander's out and Salas gets hurt and he's throwing to a receiver(Lloyd) that he hasn't even practiced with. Then Kendkricks gets dinged up and Hoo-Hoo is put on IR.

Forget putting the best guys on the field or upgrading positions, just give Bradford the same lineup for a few weeks in a row and he'll be much better off for now.

Agreed. The only WR hes had the most playing time with has been Gibson. Not a good thing for everyone progressing in the new offense.