Boone or Mathis. You decide!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If we were to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick either this year or next, would you do it and if so who is your choice?

Both seem to be available for a "mid round pick". Both are top notch guards - scheme versatile.

Boone is 28 and has 1 year left on contract. Mathis is 33 and has 2 years left. Each have some "nicks and bruises" history.

Is either a feasible option OR should we stay on the draft/current depth route?

iced

depends on the round... i'd do a 5th or 6th for mathis - thats an actual top guard, boone is upper echelon but not as high of a level

Moostache

Rookie
Depends...is Boone going to be resigned and become a dependable starter? If so then I would give up a 4th rounder for a solid interior OL starter. Now, if it were a one year rental I'd only go 6th rounder.

Mathis has to come cheaper because those tires have less tread left at 32 even if you have a 2 year deal...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Would rather take Boone. Mathis is more talented, but he doesn't have much longer to go before he hits the wall. I'd rather take my chances with Boone, who can play three different positions on the line (left guard, right guard, right tackle in a pinch).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd just as soon sign Blalock and draft a prospect with the pick you'd give up for one of these similar guys.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'd rather have Boone. I think Mathis is strictly a zone blocking guard, he's also older and who knows how long he'll play

I don't think the whiners will trade Boone to us because they wouldn't want him in the same division

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take Boone. Mathis is older and the issue with him is that he's undersized for a PBS. Philly is a zone team. I don't know that Mathis would be as good with us. Not that he would suddenly be terrible or anything. Just that he wouldn't be the same type of run blocker.

Plus, Boone can kick out to either OT spot when needed. But I wouldn't give up a third for Boone.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd take Boone. Mathis is older and the issue with him is that he's undersized for a PBS. Philly is a zone team. I don't know that Mathis would be as good with us. Not that he would suddenly be terrible or anything. Just that he wouldn't be the same type of run blocker.

Plus, Boone can kick out to either OT spot when needed. But I wouldn't give up a third for Boone.

I agree with most all of this. All that I would like to add is if things get worse for this OL then we may be forced to give up that very valuable #72 selection. Boone can swing to both OG positions plus as jrry32 stated Boone also can take his 6-8 height & length to the starting ORT post. Boone is a much better starting ORT candidate than Garrett Reynolds is. So in conclusion Boone could be a three OL post option!

Note:Alex Boone signed a 2 year, $6,000,000 contract with the San Francisco 49ers, including an average annual salary of $3,000,000. In 2015, Boone will earn a base salary of $3,400,000. Boone has a cap hit of $3,740,000 while his dead money value is $340,000.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Easy, Boone he is much younger
It's always a crap shoot, but I'm tired of aging guys with a history of injury (even if they are not overly significant).

As it's turned out all too often, it's a harbinger of things to come.

ausmurp

Starter
Either for me. What you have to understand is that by getting one of these guys it allows us to take bpa instead of OL. If Scherff falls he's bpa but not looking like he falls so WR is bpa after that - Parker or White. So making the trade, even for a 4th rd pick, is like trading a 4th rd pick for Parker or White, which I would do over and again pants down no contest.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I prefer to use the pick on a Late round Olinemen that has potential to develop. You can have them for 4 years on the cheap. Boone will want to get paid after one year. He isn't anything great anyway.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
depends on the round... i'd do a 5th or 6th for mathis - thats an actual top guard, boone is upper echelon but not as high of a level
Mathis, ... all day long. The Rams don't have a 5'th and our 6'th is a compensatory pick, which can't be traded. I'm guessing we can get Mathis for a 7'th, at worst this years 7'th and next years as well. There is already talk that he may be released outright, and if that happens he's likely to go to a known play-off contender. Even if we only keep him for one of his two remaining years as a stop gap, having a pro-bowl LG between Robinson and whoever happens to be our young and inexperienced Center is bound to be beneficial. jmo.