Blues pick up Stastny, top FA - 4 years $28m

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's a great signing for the Blues. And only for 4 years, they didn't have to overpay in years. Stastny and signing Jori Lehtera today makes center a position of strength. Only question is if Bergland or another center gets traded for more help.

FRO

Legend
It was a move that had to be done if the team was serious about winning a cup. Great move. I'm glad we didn't have to trade a ton of assets to get someone.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Who is going to play in goal next year for St Louis?

Brian Elliot, but I fully expect Jake Allen to overtake Elliot for the number one goalie slot. After all, when you make saves like this:

You deserve to start. Period.

FRO

Legend
Brian Elliot, but I fully expect Jake Allen to overtake Elliot for the number one goalie slot. After all, when you make saves like this:

You deserve to start. Period.

A combo of Allen and Elliot will be good. Allen should eventually develop into the guy we were expecting Miller to be for us.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A combo of Allen and Elliot will be good. Allen should eventually develop into the guy we were expecting Miller to be for us.
I think it's Allen's job to lose. Elliot is a phenomenal backup/spot starter but the Blues are likely going into 2014/15 a legit Stanley Cup contender, and I don't see Elliot as the starting netminder for a legit Stanley Cup contender.

I'm intrigued by Husso, the Finn they drafted in the 4th, as a developmental guy.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think it's Allen's job to lose. Elliot is a phenomenal backup/spot starter but the Blues are likely going into 2014/15 a legit Stanley Cup contender, and I don't see Elliot as the starting netminder for a legit Stanley Cup contender.

I'm intrigued by Husso, the Finn they drafted in the 4th, as a developmental guy.

It'll be a few years before he's ready for the NHL, most of the time it's only guys at the top of the draft that play right away.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It'll be a few years before he's ready for the NHL, most of the time it's only guys at the top of the draft that play right away.
Absolutely. As a developmental guy though, he's got some nice upside.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Looks like they are all in for Hitchcock's last year.

Also, unless he can play goalie, you guys have a pretty big gap...and will continue to be your Achilles heel.

On another note, if you saw all the transactions, the West is going to be BRUTAL this year. GO HAWKS.

Hopefully Stastny and Lehtera are exactly what the Blues have been missing and can get them to the promised land...getting swept in the second round. All joking aside,Love them Blues and much as I love the Rams and anything less than the Conference finals will be a let down. LGB!!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Looks like they are all in for Hitchcock's last year.

Also, unless he can play goalie, you guys have a pretty big gap...and will continue to be your Achilles heel.

On another note, if you saw all the transactions, the West is going to be BRUTAL this year. GO HAWKS.

As a fan of a team that's won the Cup with Corey Crawford in net, you should be well aware that a team doesn't need a top netminder to win the whole thing.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
As a fan of a team that's won the Cup with Corey Crawford in net, you should be well aware that a team doesn't need a top netminder to win the whole thing.

To be fair, Crawford played damn well throughout the playoffs the year they won it with him in net.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
To be fair, Crawford played damn well throughout the playoffs the year they won it with him in net.
This, people give Crawford a lot of shit, but the guy was fairly solid both this year and last, he's stolen quite a few games in the Hawks favor.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
GODFUCKINGDAMMIT! Why in the fuck did we resign Ott? Ott, who had no goals, five fucking assists, ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, took unnecessary penalties like they were going out of style, played shitty defense, turned the puck over more times than I could count, and - to top it all up - is a cheapshotting goon who I personally can't stand? FUCK! And we lost Sobotka to the KHL. Fucking shit! Would have rather let Paajarvi or Jaskin take on his role and get the minutes. Why in the holy fuck did we sign this useless fucking plug instead?!!! Dammit, I can understand Berglund. I can understand Reaves. But Ott? A fucking rat agitator with no hockey sense or skill whatsoever? AND WE SIGNED HIM TO A FOURTH-LINE ROLE FOR 2.6 MILLION-PER-YEAR FOR TWO YEARS?! WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF SICK NIGHTMARE IS THIS?!!!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
GODFUCKINGDAMMIT! Why in the freak did we resign Ott? Ott, who had no goals, five freaking assists, ran around like a chicken with his head cut off, took unnecessary penalties like they were going out of style, played crappy defense, turned the puck over more times than I could count, and - to top it all up - is a cheapshotting goon who I personally can't stand? freak! And we lost Sobotka to the KHL. freaking crap! Would have rather let Paajarvi or Jaskin take on his role and get the minutes. Why in the holy freak did we sign this useless freaking plug instead?!!! Dammit, I can understand Berglund. I can understand Reaves. But Ott? A freaking rat agitator with no hockey sense or skill whatsoever? AND WE SIGNED HIM TO A FOURTH-LINE ROLE FOR 2.6 MILLION-PER-YEAR FOR TWO YEARS?! WHAT THE freak KIND OF SICK NIGHTMARE IS THIS?!!!
I'm marking Memento down as undecided for now. We'll come back to him later. ;)