Bill Callahan vs. Aaron Kromer discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I remember the majority of ROD was thrilled w/ the hiring of Kromer. Shit goes sideways and the peeps want to grab the pitchforks and lantern and chase him out of the building. All I recall is McVay hired the best OL coach in the biz.
Now our OL looks like crap from the LG to the RT spot, and the LT might not be back on a 1-2 year deal.

So what is your thoughts on Kromer, and why or why not should he stay or be replaced by Callahan?

What says you!?

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do we fix the OL moving forward? I would look to focus 90% of our resources on fixing this unit

1st round – no pick Jack Ramsey
2nd round – pick 20 (52nd overall)
3rd round – pick 20 (84th overall)
4th round – pick 20 (126th overall)
4th round projected comp pick (139th overall)
5th round – no pick
6th round – pick 20 (200th overall)
7th round -pick 20 (216th overall)

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How do we fix the OL moving forward? I would look to focus 90% of our resources on fixing this unit

yeah - I guess the defense is that good ??

I’m a Kromer,Zak, & Dickerson guy. Mcvay made a point to give them a lot of credit in one of his last interviews at the end of the season. I like the unit the way they finished the season.
I like the way Callahan finished the season as a HC. Solid coach !!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Well, my thought process is, we need a long term answer at LT, LG &OC. Keep Edwards & Evans. So add 1 UFA OL, and draft 2 more w/ high picks. Thats what I think needs to happen.

edit: Im still not solid on Corbett as an above average LG

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Well, my thought process is, we need a long term answer at LT, LG &OC. Keep Edwards & Evans. So add 1 UFA OL, and draft 2 more w/ high picks. Thats what I think needs to happen.

edit: Im still not solid on Corbett as an above average LG

I'd agree with what you propose but Noteboom's injury complicates things for me. I think he can be an above average LT if he comes back from injury with no lasting complications. What we do in the meantime is the issue. The fact he probably won't be back until after the start of the season means we need to do something at LT. We need a solution that won't get Goff killed.

I'd like to see Corbett at OC. I think a year in the Rams S&C program will do wonders. I was impressed with how he played on short notice for us this year. Keep Edwards and Evans. They will be fine.

Name
Coleman
I have a couple of lengthy negative Anti-Aaron LawnChairCollector Kromer posts in the
What Went Wrong For The Los Angeles Rams in 2019 thread.

The Cole's Notes version....I would favor moving on from the over rated Aaron Kromer, and hiring a Bill Callahan type to better assist Sean McVay in delivering a more stellar 2020 OLine leading to a more effective 2020 Los Ramos Offensive output and production!

ME: Fire Kromer yesterday!

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Id keep Kromer and give him a chance to fix the line. I can't help but think he and McVay will have the line in better shape for 2020. After what happened this past season it should be top priority.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Kromer had too much on his plate. Take away the rushing aspect of his coaching duties and let him just focus on the OL.

dang

Legend
The OL problems were lack of experience and lack of power in the running game on the interior. Saffold was sorely missed and hid sight we needed a solid vet in the interior but decided we were good. The OL has a year of experience but still needs a solid vet in the interior. Not sure if OG or OC would be better so I say best interior OL available that doesn’t break the bank. IMO it was more on the talent than the coaching. b

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
ME: Fire Kromer yesterday!

3BEB0BA7-528F-47F4-8899-F2D44ADCBE0B.jpeg

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think hiring OConnell means Callahan isn't an option. They didn't seem to see eye to eye in Washington just my opinion from reading some of the reports on the offense and how things went.

Re: Callahan vs Kromer I wanted BC added to the staff due to his run game knowledge. I think Kromer has done a good job overall as an OL coach but I really didn't like a lot of things schematically about our run game and that's on top of the obvious talent problem.

Also felt like Kromer might have pushed the front office to go with Boom & Allen and that on top of his run game coordinator performance would equal him being replaced. But in hindsight that was probably not the case now that it looks like he's going to stick around.

I trust McVay though and you gotta give the rockstar coach what he wants basically. That said if I were Snead I'd be curious to know some things irt our run scheme and what the plan is to fix them going forward. And of course I'd be planning on loading that OL to ensure it succeeds.

Ram65

Legend
Some different problems with Kromer and the Rams run game.

Kromer overvalued Noteboom, Allen and Demby. Noteboom may have gotten better as the season went on but, he got hurt. He was a little overpowered in the rum game. Allen didn't hold his ground as well as expected. He also got hurt.

McVay and Kromer didn't adjust in the offseason to defenses figuring out how to stop the zone blocking. They tried to change to power blocking on the fly. McVay didn't help by staying with the 11P for most of the season. He also held Gurley back too long. They both share responsibility for the offensive problems.

The Rams drafting Evans and Edwards had me thinking Kromer and McVay wanted to get bigger on the offensive line. These are big guys that can add some weight and muscle. Kromer did a good job getting these two rookies ready to fill in for injuries. I'm not giving Kromer and McVay a pass but, believe they will get the offensive line and offense back on track in 2020.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@dang Ya, I agree w/ everything you said. Currently I think we are too passive in the OL we have. We need to be adding more naster-beefer OL and become a nasty piece of work running the ball. Current roster OLmen we have I just don't have the confidence being able to get a short yardage run when we really need it.
I would ear mark the draft for a day 2 pick on a RB that can help us. get me the next Nick Chubb type runner!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think hiring OConnell means Callahan isn't an option. They didn't seem to see eye to eye in Washington just my opinion from reading some of the reports on the offense and how things went.

Re: Callahan vs Kromer I wanted BC added to the staff due to his run game knowledge. I think Kromer has done a good job overall as an OL coach but I really didn't like a lot of things schematically about our run game and that's on top of the obvious talent problem.

Also felt like Kromer might have pushed the front office to go with Boom & Allen and that on top of his run game coordinator performance would equal him being replaced. But in hindsight that was probably not the case now that it looks like he's going to stick around.

I trust McVay though and you gotta give the rockstar coach what he wants basically. That said if I were Snead I'd be curious to know some things irt our run scheme and what the plan is to fix them going forward. And of course I'd be planning on loading that OL to ensure it succeeds.

hell ya. We need to have a better push north when running the ball.
Sign a mid level OG, draft a top OC w/ long arms that caN PUSH the pocket.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have already mentioned what I think should be done, but because I'm so sure of myself, :oops: I'll repeat it here;
Leave these guys in the same position they were when we last saw them, (less Whitworth)
Since every player on the offensive line except Whitworth finished the season in a different place than they started it, we need some consistency.
Consistency is the most underrated component of an offensive line because they play as a unit.
Remember the years when every player started at his original position?
We were ranked number 2 in the NFL and had great success.
Only questions are tackles;
Evans or Havenstein at right tackle.
Noteboom or Evans at left tackle.

Re-sign Blythe at Center.
Corbett at Left Guard.
Edwards at Right Guard.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Side note: I like how McVay wants to be more focused on weekly match ups, and putting game plans for the week, vs. we do us and hope it works game plan.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I have already mentioned what I think should be done, but because I'm so sure of myself, :oops: I'll repeat it here;
Leave these guys in the same position they were when we last saw them, (less Whitworth)
Since every player on the offensive line except Whitworth finished the season in a different place than they started it, we need some consistency.
Consistency is the most underrated component of an offensive line because they play as a unit.
Remember the years when every player started at his original position?
We were ranked number 2 in the NFL and had great success.
Only questions are tackles;
Evans or Havenstein at right tackle.
Noteboom or Evans at left tackle.

Re-sign Blythe at Center.
Corbett at Left Guard.
Edwards at Right Guard.

So resign Big Whit, and have noteboom take a ton of LT snaps in season. red shirt him this coming? Noteboom job is to focus on LT only this off season...
Maybe Noteboom slides in mid season if Big Whit "declines" which I hate to say it but father time is undefeated sadly

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I remember the majority of ROD was thrilled w/ the hiring of Kromer. Shit goes sideways and the peeps want to grab the pitchforks and lantern and chase him out of the building. All I recall is McVay hired the best OL coach in the biz.
Now our OL looks like crap from the LG to the RT spot, and the LT might not be back on a 1-2 year deal.

So what is your thoughts on Kromer, and why or why not should he stay or be replaced by Callahan?

What says you!?

Don't think it's happening. Kromer would have been out already.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

1st round – no pick Jack Ramsey
2nd round – pick 20 (52nd overall)
3rd round – pick 20 (84th overall)
4th round – pick 20 (126th overall)
4th round projected comp pick (139th overall)
5th round – no pick
6th round – pick 20 (200th overall)
7th round -pick 20 (216th overall)

I’ve already wagered it is not coming through the draft. If The Rams went into the season with Blythe,Allen, & Noteboom as there starters last season. There is no way they will spend a high draft pick on an O”Lineman !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't think it's happening. Kromer would have been out already.

Murphy, a long with Zak & Dickerson. He is already taking a little step back. I’m sure he will have similar responsibilities though ??

Calen might get a head-coaching job in college next season ??