Best Race Horse I Ever Saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Secretariat was a complete beast. And that was really in the hay day of horse racing.

My parents owned a couple Quarter Horse sprinters. One was a real good filly - Three Heats. As kids we got to go watch the races a few times at Los Alamitos. I was there the first time she won a race. My dad put $2 on her to win for each of us kids at 13-1. I don't know if he put anything on her for himself or my mom. But we were all excited about getting $26. That was big money. Of course he took his $2 out to teach us about how money works. :laugh4: He was sitting on the railing to the stairs and was so excited, he almost fell off when she won.

On another night, we got to go down to the winner's circle after she won some big race. Great fun as a 10-12 year old. They had the big flower collar on the horse and my parents and the trainer in their fancy duds, along with the tiny jockey, and a whole bunch of people no one knew :thinking:. In the picture, it shows what the purse and odds were. Pretty cool.

That horse ended up setting a couple track records at Alamitos - one still stood the last time I heard - over a decade ago. That horse raced other tracks but Alamitos was apparently big on Quarter Horses. I still remember my amazement at how the dirt would fly what seemed like hundreds of feet in the air as they ran down the straight away.

Tano

Legend
Secretariat was a complete beast. And that was really in the hay day of horse racing.

My parents owned a couple Quarter Horse sprinters. One was a real good filly - Three Heats. As kids we got to go watch the races a few times at Los Alamitos. I was there the first time she won a race. My dad put $2 on her to win for each of us kids at 13-1. I don't know if he put anything on her for himself or my mom. But we were all excited about getting $26. That was big money. Of course he took his $2 out to teach us about how money works. :laugh4: He was sitting on the railing to the stairs and was so excited, he almost fell off when she won.

On another night, we got to go down to the winner's circle after she won some big race. Great fun as a 10-12 year old. They had the big flower collar on the horse and my parents and the trainer in their fancy duds, along with the tiny jockey, and a whole bunch of people no one knew :thinking:. In the picture, it shows what the purse and odds were. Pretty cool.

That horse ended up setting a couple track records at Alamitos - one still stood the last time I heard - over a decade ago. That horse raced other tracks but Alamitos was apparently big on Quarter Horses. I still remember my amazement at how the dirt would fly what seemed like hundreds of feet in the air as they ran down the straight away.
Do they still run races at Los Al.

I kinda remember that it closed down but I could be wrong

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Do they still run races at Los Al.

I kinda remember that it closed down but I could be wrong
I dunno. It wouldn't surprise me if it closed. Horse racing took a big nose dive several years back in terms of popularity and spectators.

Edit:. Nope. I just checked. It's still going.

Tano

Legend
I dunno. It wouldn't surprise me if it closed. Horse racing took a big nose dive several years back in terms of popularity and spectators.

Edit:. Nope. I just checked. It's still going.
Cool

I did like going to that track from time to time

My favorite track - Del Mar

Went a few years ago and I felt under-dressed lol

I was in shorts and t-shirt and I saw all these people wearing all kinds of evening wear

I said - I don't care - I am going to be comfortable

I have to say though - there were all kinds of good looking ladies at the track and this was on a Wednesday