Best Player Who Could Be Cut from Every NFL Roster in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Best Player Who Could Be Cut from Every NFL Roster in 2020
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889955-the-best-player-who-could-be-cut-from-every-nfl-roster-in-2020-offseason
Los Angeles Rams: CB Troy HilL
1588778544432.png

The Los Angeles Rams released Todd Gurley and Clay Matthews III, traded Brandin Cooks and allowed Dante Fowler Jr., Cory Littleton, Nickell Robey-Coleman and Greg Zuerlein to leave in free agency. Yet the organization is barely under the 2020 salary cap.There aren't a lot of options to create more wiggle room, though Troy Hill's contract provides a possibility. The Rams would save about $4 million in cap space if they cut Hill.

They could move forward with David Long Jr., whom general manager Les Snead drafted in last year's third round, in the starting lineup. This possibility became more plausible after the front office chose Terrell Burgess. This year's third-round selection is listed as a safety but primarily covered the slot at Utah.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don’t see it happening at all especially without a cb drafted.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I generally agree with you @ this time. However, I see the 3rd round selection of Terrell Burgess to be much more corner than safety for DC Staley. I foresee Nickle corner. The bona fide safety IMO that was just drafted is Jordan Fuller.

We had a good discussion on Hill back in February when many were making comments on which Rams would be gone by the start of TC. I recall where @flv took a good detailed look @ Hill's contract & said there was a serious substantial snap-count bonus included in Hills contract.

If Hill ends up the starting outside corner as I would guess it would very easy for him to fully tap into that rather large substantial snap count bonus. Where in the end of this year Troy Hill could easily earn out of the Rams 2020 salary cap somewhere close to $8 million.

Rams also signed 3 UDFA corners in FSU's Levonta Taylor, Tyrique McGhee & Dayan Lake to go with the 6 CB we had last season.... Ramsey, Alexander, Deayon, Williams, Hill & David Long. Snead has always been very good @ finding CB gems off the streets. Troy Hill was a just that when we added him back in May 2015. I would think a trade would be the most likely way that Hill would depart...just before the regular season begins to a team that has had injuries to their CB unit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I generally agree with you @ this time. However, I see the 3rd round selection of Terrell Burgess to be much more corner than safety for DC Staley. I foresee Nickle corner. The bona fide safety IMO that was just drafted is Jordan Fuller.

We had a good discussion on Hill back in February when many were making comments on which Rams would be gone by the start of TC. I recall where @flv took a good detailed look @ Hill's contract & said there was a serious substantial snap-count bonus included in Hills contract.

If Hill ends up the starting outside corner as I would guess it would very easy for him to fully tap into that rather large substantial snap count bonus. Where in the end of this year Troy Hill could easily earn out of the Rams 2020 salary cap somewhere close to $8 million.

Rams also signed 3 UDFA corners in FSU's Levonta Taylor, Tyrique McGhee & Dayan Lake to go with the 6 CB we had last season.... Ramsey, Alexander, Deayon, Williams, Hill & David Long. Snead has always been very good @ finding CB gems off the streets. Troy Hill was a just that when we added him back in May 2015. I would think a trade would be the most likely way that Hill would depart...just before the regular season begins to a team that has had injuries to their CB unit.
See and I don’t see Fuller as anything more than a ST player. Lacks speed and was just average on D but was a big contributor on teams.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is still room for some interesting trades before the season starts, though I don't think they will necessarily be for salary cap reasons at this point. I think it has been pretty much dealt with overall.

However, if they could move Everett or Hill for offensive line help, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

But I don't see anyone else being cut just for money.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fairness, I dont think the post sees it happening either, was just looking at any cap savings that could be out there.
I think Reynolds could be cut and save his 2 mill salary if Jefferson shows up ready to ball

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fairness, I dont think the post sees it happening either, was just looking at any cap savings that could be out there.
I think Reynolds could be cut and save his 2 mill salary if Jefferson shows up ready to ball
Malcolm Brown also better show up ready, healthy and in shape or he could be gone.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
That's actually kinda scary. Long didn't appear to be ready for that role yet and despite everything said about Hill over the last couple of years, he has proven that he can play in the NFL. Sure, I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but there are worse CBs starting in this league than Hill.

If we're talking big names that could potentially be cap casualties...

Malcolm Brown: after drafting Akers, the Rams now have 2 young, cheap backs who are gonna get touches. Keeping Brown almost becomes a luxury. I sure hope those young guys can learn their blocking assignments!

Havs: I'm certainly not advocating this because I think last season should be a mulligan, but if the FO/McVay are really sold on the new crop who played last year, then there's some $$ to be saved there.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Henderson needs to learn the ice tub isn't a positive thing in the NFL

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they had taken Kristian Fulton with the number 57 pick then I could see Troy Hill going by the deadline. But I don’t think there is anyone in the roster that can take his spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's actually kinda scary. Long didn't appear to be ready for that role yet and despite everything said about Hill over the last couple of years, he has proven that he can play in the NFL. Sure, I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but there are worse CBs starting in this league than Hill.

If we're talking big names that could potentially be cap casualties...

Malcolm Brown: after drafting Akers, the Rams now have 2 young, cheap backs who are gonna get touches. Keeping Brown almost becomes a luxury. I sure hope those young guys can learn their blocking assignments!

Havs: I'm certainly not advocating this because I think last season should be a mulligan, but if the FO/McVay are really sold on the new crop who played last year, then there's some $$ to be saved there.

I agree on Brown. Hopefully there is an UDFA that steps up. The RB room could be scary real fast. Akers is a rookie. Henderson is almost a rookie who can’t pass block. Brown could end up being the feature back. Yikes!!!

No way I trade Havenstein when his value is low. Plus Evans is no sure thing.

TexasRam

Legend
CB play is so critical at the NFL level.

It’s really not a position you want to gamble on with first year players and unproven players.

Just the loss of NRC alone is already going to bite us in the ass.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm admittedly not a Hill fan, but I don't see him getting cut.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love good stories & I like the Troy Hill story. Since Snead/McVay seem to have developed a hard dependence on the UDFA side of the NFL. Example of this effort can be seen in the 2020 roster. Rams have signed 26 UDFA's. Would it not be a great ideal to have 3 or 4 being starters on your team?

Troy Hill UDFA 2015 played for Bengals & Pats then Rams late in 2015. Hill has had a long troubled past beginning in college back in 2013 & then in the NFL with run in's with law enforcement & NFL rules. That all ended after his three-game suspension during the 2017 season. Troy Hill was developed into a starting outside corner from the Rams grooming division department. I consider him a success & an example that sometimes things do work out positively. Wonder if Aubrey Pleasant had much to do with this?

Last edited: