Best Nicknames In Rams History (And Their Origins)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/7/19/8934375/st-louis-rams-franchise-history-nicknames-uniform

The Best Nicknames In Rams History (And Their Origins)
By Frank "Dubs" Dobozy@Bozy1313

David_Deacon_Jones.0.0.jpg

What's in a nickname? An awful lot if you're a Rams fan. Today, we take a look back at some of the best nicknames in Rams history.

The Rams have a rich history, dating back to their origins as the Cleveland Rams in 1936. In their 79 years of existence, the Rams have produced an illustrious group of all-time great players. The team - and its players - are also recognized as having some of the greatest nicknames in sports history. Let's take a trip down memory lane...

Best Nicknames In Rams History
The accompanying chart presents the most prominent and enduring nicknames in the history of the Rams. The list includes eleven individual player nicknames, the teams' nickname and two nicknames related to specific team units.

Player/Team/Unit.............................Nickname..........................................Years
St. Louis/L.A./Cleve........................Rams.................................................1936-Present
Defensive Line.................................Fearsome Foursome.........................1963-1971
Offense.............................................Greatest Show On Turf....................1999-2001
Elroy Hirsch.....................................Crazy Legs.......................................1949-1957
Dick Lane.........................................Night Train......................................1952-1953
Jack Reynolds..................................Hacksaw...........................................1970-1980
David Jones......................................Deacon.............................................1961-1971
Torry Holt........................................Big Game.........................................1999-2008
Norm Van Brocklin.........................The Dutchman.................................1949-1957
Jim Everett......................................Blade................................................1986-1993
Jerome Bettis...................................Bus....................................................1993-1995
Paul Younger...................................Tank..................................................1949-1957
James Laurinaitis.............................Little Animal....................................2009-Present
Carnell Williams.............................Cadillac.............................................2011

Origins Of Rams Nicknames

James Laurinaitis (Little Animal)

A seldom-used nickname; however, one with deep and famous family roots. James' father Joe Laurinaitis is better known by his ring nickname "Animal". Together with "Hawk" (Michael Hegstrand), they formed the greatest tag-team duo in the history of professional wrestling: The Road Warriors.

Dick Lane (Night Train)
In his rookie season (1952), Lane set an NFL record for interceptions in a single season (14), a record which stands to this day. Lane's nicknamewas given to him in his first professional season by a renowned teammate, Tom Fears, the first true wide receiver in NFL history:

"Fears was a lover of music and a great teammate. He often played music in the locker room and he had a pet name for almost everyone on the club. One of Fears’ favorite tunes was the 1952 hit "Night Train" which was recorded by Jimmy Forrest. At some point, Fears matched the song title to Lane and thus was born one of the most enduring (and phonically pleasing) nicknames in sports history."

Norm Van Brocklin (The Dutchman)
Although he was born in America, "The Dutchman" was a reverential tribute to Van Brocklin's Dutch ancestry. On September 28, 1951, Van Brocklin set a single game NFL record by throwing for 554 yards, a record that still stands (64 years and counting). Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971, Van Brocklin is arguably the greatest quarterback in Rams history.

Carnell Williams (Cadillac)
Williams played only one season for the Rams (2011), but brought with him a nickname for the ages. A high school television broadcaster at Etowah High School in Attalla, Alabama gave the young Williams his nickname, comparing his style and running to that of a luxury car. Unfortunately, his career didn't befit the moniker, as it ended up more closely resembling a Chevy Impala than a Cadillac.

Jack Reynolds (Hacksaw)
Reynolds was a model of controlled aggression throughout his 11 seasons roaming the field as a MLB for the Rams. Reynolds earned his nickname during his college days with the Tennessee Volunteers:

Reynolds earned his nickname in 1969 by cutting an abandoned 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air in half with a hacksaw after his previously unbeaten University of Tennessee team returned from an embarrassing 38-0 road loss to Ole Miss.

As Reynolds noted at the time:

"I came back to school and I was very upset. I had to do something to relieve my frustration."

Torry Holt (Big Game)
An integral part of the famed Greatest Show On Turf, Holt ranks 13th on the NFL career receiving yards list (13,382 yards). A 7-time Pro Bowler and 1-time First-Team All-Pro, Holt was a Hall of Fame semi-finalist in 2015, and holds the NFL record for most consecutive seasons with 1,300 or more receiving yards (6).

Holt earned his nickname while at N.C. State, starring in some of the biggest wins in school history:

"Holt helps coach his son’s Pop Warner team, which has been a somewhat surreal experience for Capital City Steelers coach Al Leaston. Leaston went to N.C. State when Holt was a star there in the 1990s, and tries to explain to the younger players how Holt earned his "Big Game" nickname, with some of the most incredible performances in ACC history. "Those Florida State games," said Leaston, without any reason to finish."

Paul Younger (Tank)
In addition to a distinguished playing career with the Rams, Younger broke through many long-standing racial barriers. Younger played his college football at Grambling State University. A converted tackle, Younger earned his nickname while in college, a tribute to his propensity for plowing over anyone who tried to get in his way (out of the offensive backfield and as a linebacker).

Undrafted, Younger signed with the Rams as a Free Agent, becoming the first NFL player from a historically black college. Younger was also the first African American to have a meaningful role in an NFL front office (as a scout and executive with the Rams).

David Jones (Deacon)
It comes as no surprise that the flamboyant Jones is the only player on this list to have given himself a nickname. To most of the football world, the nickname "Deacon" has replaced "David" as Jones' first name. The greatest defensive lineman in NFL history, Jones was the most prominent member of the legendary Fearsome Foursome. An 8-time Pro Bowler and 5-time First-Team All-Pro, Jones was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1980.

One of his first acts as a Rams rookie (in 1961) was to substitute "Deacon" for his given name "David". As Jones reasoned:

"No one would remember a player named David Jones - there are a thousand David Joneses in the phone book. I picked out Deacon because it has a religious connotation and it would be remembered in the violent pro football world. When the Rams sent out my player questionnaire, I simply listed my name as Deacon Jones. From then on, that's what I was."

Also known as the "Secretary of Defense", Jones is credited with creating the term "sack", used to describe tackling the passer behind the line of scrimmage. Jones was quite descriptive with his reasoning behind coining the term:

"You take all the offensive linemen and put them in a burlap bag, and then you take a baseball bat and beat on the bag. You're sacking them, you're bagging them. And that's what you're doing with a quarterback."

"We needed a shorter term. I gave it some thought and came up with the term 'sack'. Like, you know, you sack a city - you devastate it. And the word is so short you can even get Deacon in front of Jones in some headlines."

Official sack statistics were not recorded by the NFL until 1982. Unofficially, Jones holds the NFL record for sacks in a single season (26 in 1967). Jones amassed 194 1/2 sacks in his career. If his career sack total was officially recognized, Jones would rank third on the career list (behind Bruce Smith - 200 and Reggie White - 198).

Elroy Hirsch (Crazy Legs)
Hirsch was another player who earned his nickname while still in college. In 1942, Hirsch was playing for the Wisconsin Badgers in a game against the Great Lakes Naval Station. Sportswriter Francis Powers (Chicago Daily News) was covering the game, and afterwards wrote about Hirsch's unique, unusual running style: "His crazy legs were gyrating in six different directions, all at the same time. He looked like a demented duck." Hirsch was the first full-time "flanker" in NFL history and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1968.

Jerome Bettis (Bus)

A 2015 Hall of Fame inductee, Bettis is best remembered by Rams fans for his outstanding rookie season. He ran for 1429 yards and 7 touchdowns, earning both Pro Bowl and All-Pro recognition. Bettis played his college football for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame, and credits the school newspaper for coining his popular nickname.

"Bus" referred to the manner in which he ran over people (just like a bus) on his way to another rushing touchdown. The nickname was seldom used during his three seasons with the Rams. When he joined Pittsburgh, Steelers' announcer Myron Cope revived Bettis' nickname, which stuck for the remainder of his career.

Jim Everett (Blade)
Everett was the Rams' starting quarterback for most of his eight seasons with the team. He led the Rams to a pair of playoff wins and was invited to the Pro Bowl in 1990. Everett earned his nickname early in his rookie season. It was given to him by accomplished, veteran guard Dennis (Hercules) Harrah:

"I gave him the nickname 'Blade' about four weeks ago 'cause most of us around here got these big ol' pie faces and he's got that little thin one. But it's taken on new meaning now and it's gonna stick 'cause the boy can slice up a defense."

Everett describing how his nickname "Blade" came into being:

"It was first given to me by Dennis Harrah. A group of us Rams went hunting in Paso Robles and we happen to take a group photo with our prized pig. A while later back in the locker room, we finally received the picture and Dennis in his common but very funny West Virgina accent said: "Damn that pig is big...and look at all our bloated old pie faces of us lineman too...but wait....look at that..there that skinny damn Blade in the back (laugh...laugh...laugh). Jim, you know your a Blade cause you got that narrow head, compared to us pie faces."

The Fearsome Foursome

The nickname "Fearsome Foursome" is most closely associated with the Rams' dominant defensive line of the 1963-1971 period. Notwithstanding that fact, the Rams' defensive line was not the first to have "Fearsome Foursome" ascribed to it. The expression was first used in 1957, in a New York Daily News headline, for an article describing the New York Giants' outstanding defensive line. It was regularly used to describe the San Diego Chargers' defensive line from 1958-1961, and later used in reference to the 1962 Detroit Lions defensive line.

The Rams' defensive line during that period was arguably the best in the history of the NFL, and truly a Fearsome Foursome. Two of the members - Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen - are Hall of Famer's and rank among the greatest defensive linemen in NFL history. The other two original members - Lamar Lundy and Roosevelt Grier - were stars in their own right. Roger Brown (1967-69), Diron Talbert (1967-70), and Coy Bacon (1968-71) replaced Lundy and Grier in later years.

One could argue that the Rams' defensive lines of the 1970's were also worthy of the nickname Fearsome Foursome. In addition to Olsen, the line was comprised of Hall of Fame inductee Jack (Blood) Youngblood, 1-time Pro Bowler Fred Dryer, and 5-time Pro Bowler Larry Brooks.

The Greatest Show On Turf
"The Greatest Show On Turf" was the nickname ascribed to the St. Louis Rams' record-breaking offense during the 1999-2001 NFL seasons. The offense featured a number of all-time great Rams players: QB Kurt Warner, RB Marshall Faulk, WR Isaac (The Reverand) Bruce, WR Torry Holt and LT Orlando Pace. In 2000, the Rams' offense set an NFL record (since broken) for total offensive yards (7,335). The 1999-2001 Rams are one of only two teams (New England from 2010-2012 being the other) to have scored 500 points in three consecutive seasons. The nickname was derived from the expression "Greatest Show On Earth", a term first used by ESPN's Chris Berman (in 2000) to describe the Rams' offense:

"Forget Ringling Brothers; the Rams are the Greatest Show on Earth."

The following is perhaps the best description of those offenses I've ever read:

"Ecstasy came easily if you watched anything the 1999 Rams did that season, but the feeling that more often came across was probably pure wonder. What this team did was unlike anything that had been done in the history of the NFL. Their offensive philosophy and practice transcended the game and effectively changed how offenses were run. It was the unbelievably fortunate alchemy of the perfect coach and system meshing with the perfect cast of ultra-talented players at the perfect time. It became the Greatest Show on Turf."

Rams

The Rams trace their nickname back to college football. The Fordham Rams (an independent located in the Bronx, New York) were a powerhouse college football team from the mid-1930's to the early 1940's. They ranked no lower than 17th in the final Associated Press poll for 6 consecutive seasons (1936-1941). Fordham was Vince Lombardi's alma mater. He played for the Fordham Rams from 1933-1936.

Damon "Buzz" Wetzel was the general manager of the Cleveland franchise owned by Homer Marshman. The franchise originated in 1936 as a member of the American Football League, and joined the NFL in 1937. Marshman and Wetzel picked the nickname "Rams" for two reasons: the Fordham Rams had always been Wetzel's favorite football team and Marshman liked the sound of the name.

The team was known as the Cleveland Rams from 1936 to 1945. In 1946 the team moved to Los Angeles, and remained the Los Angeles Rams until the end of the 1994 season. The Rams moved once again in 1995, to St. Louis. The franchise has operated as the St. Louis Rams for the past 20 years.

The Rams were the first NFL team to have a logo on their helmets. The logo incorporated and highlighted the Rams nickname by means of ram horns, painted on the teams' leather helmets for the 1948 NFL season. The horns/logo have been the club's trademark since first appearing in 1948. The Rams' helmet and logo are arguably the most recognizable in the NFL. Whether it be Cleveland, Los Angeles or St. Louis, the horns are still the horns. Hopefully it will remain that way throughout the remainder of the teams existence, no matter where they play.

1948 Rams Helmet

First_Rams_Helmet.0.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There are lots of good ones.

The Reverend Ike

Big Grease (Ryan Pickett)

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Deacon Dan Towler, Paul Tank Younger, and Dick Hoerner, the Bull Elephant Backfield.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I just fell in Love all over again. Thanks for this and I'm missing just that 48" helmet for my collection to be complete. I promise to dust the case daily. Wow! Who could ask for better history and this is just the tip of the iceberg. I thought from a very young kid this was GOD'S team as they were from the City of Angels & they had a Deacon on one side and Gabriel on the other and the Rams horn is the (SHOFAR) that will be blown and heard worldwide before something (I can't mention) happens. Its just TOO Much!!! Even tho its his real name Merlin the magician I don't think was mentioned and Isaiah Robertson was another great name among many like Dennis "HERC" Harrah who for a very long time owned LEGENDS a awesome Bar in L.A. with awesome pictures all over the inside. So many missing nicknames like Kevin Greene who had a few. The RAMS are NFL History at its finest!

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A good post @GabesHorn. And thanks for reminding me of that pic. Since we're getting that close to training camp and another season of Rams football, it is now my avatar. :)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'm pretty sure the Rams have the most nicknames in NFL history. I'm sitting next to my buddy talking about nicknames and he can't think of any for Denver. It's kinda crazy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm pretty sure the Rams have the most nicknames in NFL history. I'm sitting next to my buddy talking about nicknames and he can't think of any for Denver. It's kinda crazy.

The only one that comes to mind is "The Orange Crush." Here are a few more from other teams.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1248290-50-best-nicknames-in-nfl-history

50 Best Nicknames in NFL History
By Tony Santorsa, Senior Writer

Chad Ochocinco - Bengals
America's Team - Cowboys
William "The Refrigerator" Perry- Bears
Gang Green - Jets
The G Men - Giants
Devin "Anytime" Hester - Bears
James "Deebo" Harrison - Steelers
Beast Mode - Seahawks
Jack "The Assassin" Tatum - Raiders
"Broadway Joe" Namath - Jets
Walter "Sweetness" Payton - Bears
Mean Joe Greene - Steelers
Deion "Prime Time" Sanders - many teams
Jevon "The Freak" Kearse - Titans
Roger "The Dodger" Staubach - Cowboys
Evil Empire - Patriots
Reggie "The Minister of Defense" White
The Black Hole - Raiders
Calvin "Megatron" Johnson
The Purple People Eaters - Vikings
Dawg Pound - Browns

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Only Denver ones I can think of are Orange Crush and Three Amigos.

Love the Rams ones, should have included The Reverend for Ike. Should have not included Cadillac Williams (a Ram for 5 seconds and nickname not related to his time with the team), or JL (nobody calls him Little Animal). And certainly nobody buys that Jim Everett's nickname is anything other than Chris.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Only Denver ones I can think of are Orange Crush and Three Amigos.

Love the Rams ones, should have included The Reverend for Ike. Should have not included Cadillac Williams (a Ram for 5 seconds and nickname not related to his time with the team), or JL (nobody calls him Little Animal). And certainly nobody buys that Jim Everett's nickname is anything other than Chris.
TOO FUNNY . Yet he throws a mean table and sees phantom DL. I thought it was bad tv watching it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A good post @GabesHorn. And thanks for reminding me of that pic. Since we're getting that close to training camp and another season of Rams football, it is now my avatar. :)
I too Loved the photo! So much so, that I added it to My Vast Achieves of Ram Photos!!(y):D
It Makes a Great Avatar! May you and It " Live Long and Prosper!!":shades:

Big Willie

Starter
Iron head Hayward. (The RIP)

My favorite Rams player name is Hacksaw. My other two favorites are Sweetness and Mean Joe.
Favorite team nicknames are Purple People Eaters, Steele Curtain, and Doomsday D (even though I hate the cowboys)

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Greg Zuerlein
AKA - Greg "The Leg"
AKA - "Legatron"
AKA - "Young GZ"

Memphis Ram

Legend
The only one that comes to mind is "The Orange Crush." Here are a few more from other teams.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1248290-50-best-nicknames-in-nfl-history

50 Best Nicknames in NFL History
By Tony Santorsa, Senior Writer

Chad Ochocinco - Bengals
America's Team - Cowboys
William "The Refrigerator" Perry- Bears
Gang Green - Jets
The G Men - Giants
Devin "Anytime" Hester - Bears
James "Deebo" Harrison - Steelers
Beast Mode - Seahawks
Jack "The Assassin" Tatum - Raiders
"Broadway Joe" Namath - Jets
Walter "Sweetness" Payton - Bears
Mean Joe Greene - Steelers
Deion "Prime Time" Sanders - many teams
Jevon "The Freak" Kearse - Titans
Roger "The Dodger" Staubach - Cowboys
Evil Empire - Patriots
Reggie "The Minister of Defense" White
The Black Hole - Raiders
Calvin "Megatron" Johnson
The Purple People Eaters - Vikings
Dawg Pound - Browns

I just knew Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, "Air" Coryell, the Killer Bees, & the New York Sack Exchange, would be on that list. Oh well.

Also like Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, Al "Bubba" Baker,

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Not Rams but...

Nobody mentioned "the Juice"!... Too soon? Remember how How-ahd Cosell used to druel over him (OJ Simpson)?

Some guys, like Bronko Nagurski, have such a cool handle they don't need a nick.