Benny Cunningham and Robert Quinn placed on IR..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Once these guys get a back injury it is like the kiss of death to their career.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He doesn't ever have to be what he once was.
If he can be 80% of what he was, and his contract could be restructured to reflect that, he would still be a very good player and an asset. He isn't old and DEs can play a while.

We're likely going to have to replace Hayes and Simms, so we need Quinn next year, even if he is used as a situational pass rusher only.

His athleticism still flashed at times. It was very sporadic and he didn't play anywhere near his old level but he might just need more time.

Our entire Defense underperformed all season.
I know we're in burn it all down mode... but let's not throw the Quinn out with the Fish water...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All the talk of cutting Quinn is too early.

He is absolutely still capable of getting healthy and being a plus player for years to come.

Guys with Quinns level of talent have been able to overcome some major setbacks for a few seasons and then come back and play at a very high level.

Quinn is coming off of a back injury and those can take time. If we were pushing for a playoff spot, I bet Quinn would be cleared and playing.

Maybe we can restructure his contract?

Yeah, I'm not even thinking of cutting Quinn.

They need to determine how well he's going to bounce back from these 2 seasons. Elite DE are very-very difficult to find. He is one if healthy.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
He doesn't ever have to be what he once was.
If he can be 80% of what he was, and his contract could be restructured to reflect that, he would still be a very good player and an asset. He isn't old and DEs can play a while.

We're likely going to have to replace Hayes and Simms, so we need Quinn next year, even if he is used as a situational pass rusher only.

His athleticism still flashed at times. It was very sporadic and he didn't play anywhere near his old level but he might just need more time.

Our entire Defense underperformed all season.
I know we're in burn it all down mode... but let's not throw the Quinn out with the Fish water...
80% of $11mil is still way too much. The contract would have to be restructured significantly. $5.5mil is a big chunk for a part-time player.
I hope they can get him back healthy and at a better number. Otherwise, I think they need to move him, unfortunately.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
80% of $11mil is still way too much. The contract would have to be restructured significantly. $5.5mil is a big chunk for a part-time player.
I hope they can get him back healthy and at a better number. Otherwise, I think they need to move him, unfortunately.

It's comparable to what you'd pay for a 1st round pick... which are 50/50 gamble.

If he cant produce then sure, it's time to move on. But we don't know that.
We do know we will need pass rushers next year.

The only thing worse than overpaying Quinn next year is letting him go for a mid round pick and watch him pick up double digit sacks for some team that gets credit for getting a great pass rusher off the hapless Rams....

RedRam

Pro Bowler
It's comparable to what you'd pay for a 1st round pick... which are 50/50 gamble.

If he cant produce then sure, it's time to move on. But we don't know that.
We do know we will need pass rushers next year.

The only thing worse than overpaying Quinn next year is letting him go for a mid round pick and watch him pick up double digit sacks for some team that gets credit for getting a great pass rusher off the hapless Rams....
Mid-first round this year was $3-4mil/year.

Nobody knows what tomorrow holds for Quinn and the Rams. His health concerns have me wanting to hedge my bet.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Loved Quinn and his story but paying that much for half a season of what he did this year is crippling not to mention Donald needs a counterpart he can actually get to the QB regardless of the holding.

I don't see anyone giving a 1st for him we'd be lucky to get a 3rd, he's damaged goods and everyone knows it.

Benny tried FA last year and couldn't get a better deal, he isn't a starter.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mid-first round this year was $3-4mil/year.

Nobody knows what tomorrow holds for Quinn and the Rams. His health concerns have me wanting to hedge my bet.

I get it. Totally. His injuries and drop in play has been very concerning.

For me, Quinn has proven himself as an elite talent.
Until he proves he can't be again, I would keep him around and find ways to work with his contract.

I don't see us getting a pick high enough in the draft that would be less of a risk to fail than Quinn would be.

Come next fall, RQ will have had a nice long offseason to get well. There is no way in hell I do anything to move him before his return physical.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
This thread makes me depressed. Our strength isn't looking so hot anymore :unsure:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have asked for a more in-depth analysis into the Rob Quinn contract & what would be the damage if the new Ram HC was in need of some salary cap relief in order to try to get some NFL caliber offensive players on this roster in 2017. Its obvious we currently are in pathetic condition & in critical need an new infusion if we would like to win more than 4 games in 2017.

@flv was very kind late last night or his early morning where he lives to help answer my question I asked of him. RQ is due $10.2M 2017. He said that $2.4 Mil. of that 10.2 mil becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of 2017. Based on that if it is determined that RQ is not going to be the same DE he was in 2013/2014 ever again and just a % of what RQ was then continuing paying him all pro salary funds in foolish. Its a big gamble of big $$$ thinking & pondering if he will return to 50% or 60 % of what he was. A 4 win 12 loss team does do gambles like this in attempting to rebuild a winning team! If RQ is found to be moderately degraded & damaged IMO the plan should be to consider releasing him before January 5th 2017.

Another possible way to go here with RQ is contemplating trading him for some draft picks. But no team is going to trade for a unhealthy damaged DE & take that high salary cap hit. In truth trading RQ before that date is near impossible so that means keeping RQ here under contract & thus end up paying RQ another 2.4 mil. going into free agency & the draft. Of course this means that early payment will our salary cap. Now since we have taken some of the sting off RQ high price tag by paying some of his 2017 salary we have some time here to look to trade RQ for the much needed draft selections. Once the trade is made the receiving team would then be responsible for the rest of the 7.8 mil. That price tag would mean to me that the best we might get is several mid round selections but this team has proved in 2016 it needs talented reinforcements.

From what I can see there no real reason to continue to keep RQ a Ram in 2017 due to his salary or cap related hits of the future. The only reason to desire to keep RQ is to gamble that he will return to some form of a excellent part time edge pass rusher something that has not been seen in 2 yrs & certainly appears highly unlikely but paying a near 8 million in that gamble just is not sound mgt.

I can hear it now dozens of members here posting that RQ will voluntarily take a pay cut. :rolllaugh:Not going to happen IMO. So the Rams spend some time early to try to trade him if that fails then they release him. Chances are RQ will find a DE depleted team & he signs a UFA contract for another team. I am sure he could get one more sizable contract elsewhere for approx. 6 to 7 million for a prove it deal in 2017.

Bottom Line Drafting & finding a pass rushing DE in 2017 would be a very high priority to go with Hayes, Donald, Brockers, Westbrooks, Longacre, Easley & Louis Tricant Pasat

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He just had back surgery this offseason.
Rob Quinn had the back surgery this time back in 2015, yes about a year ago. So there could be some hope that time of about 19 months later that back issue could be remarkable better. Problem is the back was not the issue this season. But a new list of new injuries this season....Shoulder, Chest, illness, Concussion & a overnight stay in the hospital for dehydration??? All of these injuries & mainly his second concussion sent him to the Injured Reserve.

So yes I could choose to just focus my attention & considerations on that 2015 back surgery & write that off as the reason for what we have seen this season but it would appear from the new list of 2016 injuries & issues & the fact that a head health issue not the back caused the Ram Org to shelve Rob Quinn since week 13, I should also remind myself that Rob Quinn has battled a bad knee & a bad hip previous to the 2015 season. So the injuries from 6 seasons have mounted on his body.

I might be smart to remind myself that this 2016 season Quinn turned in his poorness preforming season since being drafted. Should this listed injury "concussion" be looked at like the rest of the other players? Or is there something else of an issue? not be taken so lightly ? Maybe the fact that Rob Quinn has a brain tumor in his head. He has been playing with this since he was drafted.

The tumor, the size of a dime, has been at the base of his brain at least since it was first discovered during his senior season in high school in North Charleston, SC, in 2007. This tumor does cause him to have headaches from time to time, but he can have trouble with balance. This tumor, which was at the top of his spinal cavity, was preventing the fluid from flowing in and out of his brain like it should. It was building up and causing pressure on his brain, thus the headaches. Doctors operated, drilling two holes to drain the fluid, but leaving the dime-size tumor in his head:notsure:.

Best to consider all thing great & small.