Behind the Grind 2023 - Episode 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm quite interested in the Sisyphus bookholder that Snead has.

Seriously, though, I loved this video.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Same!

I've been thinking lately about a quote from Albert Camus: "One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Push up the rock... let it roll down... push up the rock... let it roll down....repeat forever...enjoy.

TexasRam

Legend
People who think Snead is an idiot are idiots.
It’s not that he’s an idiot, dude has a Lombardi and among other things, has shown the ability to think outside the box to acquire several key players for the Rams success.

It’s just his - let’s call it - ADHD brain, often makes him sound scatter brained and unable to communicate in a coherent way when he has a microphone in his face.

But yea, that same creative, unhinged thinking allowed the Rams to say Fuck them picks and secure a Lombardi and nearly two.

He’s just one of those guys that likes to step outside convention and principle to explore the what if. Bending reality to do what others can’t, in order to gain an advantage. It’s a gift really. It’s like when Asshole face called an onside kick after halftime in the Super Bowl. Reminds me of poker. Playing with a ruleset is essential, but so is a dash of unpredictability at the right time.

But ask him what he thinks about something and you will get a front row seat of that brain that will bounce from thought to thought without often finishing one thought, or an attempt at communicating an idea by using a half baked disjointed analogy because he’s probably unable to harness his racing mind long enough to carefully think through a proper analogy and how to package it for consumption.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Same!

I've been thinking lately about a quote from Albert Camus: "One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Push up the rock... let it roll down... push up the rock... let it roll down....repeat forever...enjoy.

Well, he did manage to trick Thanatos once. That has to count for something?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've had 7 beers, gonna smoke some herbal support and have a few more beers.

Thanks for reminding me about this!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
It’s just his - let’s call it - ADHD brain, often makes him sound scatter brained and unable to communicate in a coherent way when he has a microphone in his face....

But ask him what he thinks about something and you will get a front row seat of that brain that will bounce from thought to thought without often finishing one thought, or an attempt at communicating an idea by using a half baked disjointed analogy because he’s probably unable to harness his racing mind long enough to carefully think through a proper analogy and how to package it for consumption.
Yeah, I just flat out disagree.

I always enjoy listening to Snead. He expresses himself in an unorthodox manner, but I love it. I always feel like I understand exactly what he's trying to say, I never feel "lost" by his metaphors. I don't think he has "communication problems", nor do I think he uses "half baked disjointed analogies." Quite the opposite really-- I often think he is unusually eloquent and insightful.

To each his own, though.

We've all debated about Snead's unconventional communication style for years, but we're all on the same page about appreciating the final results.

EDIT: I will say I give Snead a "free pass" when reporters grill him pre-draft about the Rams intentions. Snead's whole job in those pre-draft interviews is to say a lot of words without revealing anything. So I cut him slack there, because the whole exercise is ridiculous. But AFTER the draft, when he's free to be more truthful and forthcoming, I love hearing what he has to say.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This was a great episode. I wish I had more hands.... I'd give it 4 thumbs up!
d915ff145503c90d125f34d6ce865d4771-11-dave-chappelle-rick-james.2x.h473.w710.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm with Demoff, I"m excited about this years team. May not be as confident as I was going into last season, which was very humbling. But excited to see what all the youth can add to a solid core of veterans. Loved the way Snead described Avila, " I know TCU can run block" . Now I'm gonna spend the next 3 hrs trying to sleep while thinking about what the 2023 Rams may be capable of.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That was their best episode yet. Absolutely fantastic with all those draft day clips and comments. Great job Rams. :thumbsup1:

WestCoastRam

Legend

Seriously, though, I loved this video.
Ha! I always keep up with what he's reading and clocked his books in the vid, read Thinking in Bets which was great if somewhat plainspoken.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It’s just his - let’s call it - ADHD brain, often makes him sound scatter brained and unable to communicate in a coherent way when he has a microphone in his face.
I mean, it could be his drinking problem. But as long as he's a functioning alcoholic, he's our functioning alcoholic!

oldnotdead

Legend
This is why I've been excited about this team since the draft. They came away with some really good players. Turner is an overlooked player who IMO can be that next outstanding 3T when Donald hangs it up in 2025. I loved the pick the second they made it. The same can be said for Young to play JACK. When they drafted Hampton I immediately saw that SAM that they have missed since Ebukam. He also gives them a very good backup and rotational edge to Young. The same can be said about Mathis and Hoecht.

Hodges-Tomlinson gives them a very good CB who can play inside or outside. In a zone scheme speed and quickness are more important than length, if they want to use him outside. Think of him as a far more talented Donte Deayon.

I'm telling you this is a playoff caliber roster now. Avila, Puka, Bennett and Evans complete the offense so that has never been in doubt in my mind. They have enough talent on defense if they simply use it properly. This is also why, I've always said, the coaches will make or break this season more than any of the others. This is a young team whereas before they had a core of star vets to lean on. If the coaches do their jobs, this is going to be a very good team this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It’s funny… I know there were a lot of eye rolls a few years back when Demoff said they’re a content creator.

Good stuff.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
This is why I've been excited about this team since the draft. They came away with some really good players. Turner is an overlooked player who IMO can be that next outstanding 3T when Donald hangs it up in 2025. I loved the pick the second they made it. The same can be said for Young to play JACK. When they drafted Hampton I immediately saw that SAM that they have missed since Ebukam. He also gives them a very good backup and rotational edge to Young. The same can be said about Mathis and Hoecht.

Hodges-Tomlinson gives them a very good CB who can play inside or outside. In a zone scheme speed and quickness are more important than length, if they want to use him outside. Think of him as a far more talented Donte Deayon.

I'm telling you this is a playoff caliber roster now. Avila, Puka, Bennett and Evans complete the offense so that has never been in doubt in my mind. They have enough talent on defense if they simply use it properly. This is also why, I've always said, the coaches will make or break this season more than any of the others. This is a young team whereas before they had a core of star vets to lean on. If the coaches do their jobs, this is going to be a very good team this year.
I agree these young players will be exciting to watch. I disagree that this is a playoff team despite listening to too many Jeffrey Michael Fisher post game pressers.

The fact is are any of these draft picks Creed Humphreys who will turn out to be first year all pros? I'll put on rose colored glasses and say yes, maybe we drafted one.

Then, our Oline needs to stay healthy. Considering Boom and Allen already are coming off injuries, that's a big pill to swallow. Will Bruss step up this year and stay healthy? Another big question mark.

On defense, our projected starters have lost a ton of size. McCaffrey will try to break the single game rushing record against us. Who will replace Ramsey as the star corner? I think it's ludicrous that Rah will designate a star as it will encourage teams to run on us with smaller corners who don't excel at tackling.

This team will be exciting on offense, but there are lots of question marks I didn't even talk about. Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

oldnotdead

Legend
Avila at LG is a good fit for McVay's inside run game. The Ram's comment about him in Behind the Grind is why I've been saying I think they drafted him with the intention of playing him at LG permanently. But they have a lot of moving parts at OG this year so I think they are using the OTAs to sort things out But they have Allen and Shelton at center so there really isn't a need to seriously consider moving him. I'm going to be interested in how they use McClendon and if he is going to be able to make the transition to OG. He could be better as a RG. Regardless I think he's a backup this year.

Because of last year I can see them carrying 10 OL on the active roster this year instead of the normal 8 or 9.

If the OL plays as well as I expect this offense will be hard to stop. They will get the run game going and give time for Stafford in the passing game.

Defensively they are young but there is legitimate talent in this draft class. If the coaches are up to snuff this defense could be very good by the end of October. Their base defense will probably be a two high scheme and possibly use a nickel base defense. Taylor is exactly the kind of safety they need to play the short to medium zone in the middle of the field. I think Fuller is on his way out next year.

With the speed they have in Young and Hampton, the Rams could play their defense much like the Niners played theirs under Saleh. He used two fast edges aligned in a wide 9 with the DTs playing a 3T and 2T. The secondary was playing zone with a two deep shell. They can play Turner or Murchison in that 2T. In college Turner was very good at stacking and shedding on run plays and he's capable of getting penetration on passing downs as well. Playing with 3 safeties, the third safety replaces the WIL which normally is the coverage ILB who pre-snap is playing in the box. Playing with a SAM behind the JACK (aka LEO) allows him to get penetration while the SAM sets the edge. We have seen how deadly that scheme can be if played aggressively. The Rams now have the players to use that scheme if Morris is smart. The secondary is often in a combination of zone inside and over the top and man on the boundaries. It's very similar to what Staley played with the Rams.

Regardless the coaches both offense and defense can't say they don't have the players.