Beer musing here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Just had an Estrella from Spain that sat in the back of the fridge for 2 years. It was alright but definitely had a certain vinegary taste to it. Followed it with a 333 Sabeco from Vietnam again 2 years in the fridge. The 333 was extremely good. Makes me wonder if it was even better 2 years ago or if in some way it aged to be this good? I'm not aware of beer being able to age (in this case lager) anywhere near that long.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Did this guy come in handy?
1561.jpg

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@coconut people do 10+ year verticals of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and others on the regular. A good rule is the higher the ABV, the longer the beer will preserve.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*drinks Modelo Especial, and cogitates....

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
Some beers do age well, not lagers or ipa's but Stout and Sours are usually good for a year or two in storage.

I'm just putting together a case of beers for Christmas 2019. I have a Fontaine 3 Lambic that I've just laid down and a couple of bottles of Orval Belgian ale. I'll add to the stash over the next month or so but I'm thinking I can get ahead of my self here and start a stash for 2020.

I've massively got into Craft Beer over the last nine months or so and am keen to try a great variety.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love craft beer. Always trying something new or different.

While I do have a few favourites, I am always trying new ones... it’s an interesting thing with craft beer... it almost makes me want to try others instead of lock in on one and stick with it.

Not sure that’s always good for their sales.

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
I love craft beer. Always trying something new or different.

While I do have a few favourites, I am always trying new ones... it’s an interesting thing with craft beer... it almost makes me want to try others instead of lock in on one and stick with it.

Not sure that’s always good for their sales.

Do you use the Untappd app?
I've only been using it since the end of September but have (apparently) tried 236 different beers in that time.

My best rated beer in that time is Neutron Star by Atom Beers (fairly local to me here in East Yorkshire), it was a Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, simply divine. The best before date was something like September 2030.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Just had an Estrella from Spain that sat in the back of the fridge for 2 years. It was alright but definitely had a certain vinegary taste to it. Followed it with a 333 Sabeco from Vietnam again 2 years in the fridge. The 333 was extremely good. Makes me wonder if it was even better 2 years ago or if in some way it aged to be this good? I'm not aware of beer being able to age (in this case lager) anywhere near that long.

This is a question for our resident beer expert. @RamFan503 has a PHD in beer.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If it's not Scotch I'm not interested.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Beer is meant to be drank immediately. Room temp, chilled etc. All the many different beers from craft, import, domestic whatever lasted me no longer than a week...

Only exception may be the barrel aged beers, but still those are gone within a week in my house. I just love beer.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Beer is meant to be drank immediately. Room temp, chilled etc. All the many different beers from craft, import, domestic whatever lasted me no longer than a week...
Don't really disagree, not really a wrong way to enjoy beer. Craft brewers are releasing their IPAs too early to get them onto the shelves and free up fermenters. Personally IPAs don't hit their sweet spot for me until they've had a month to age to lose some bitterness (we call it being too green) and have the hoppiness peak in aroma and flavor.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@coconut people do 10+ year verticals of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and others on the regular. A good rule is the higher the ABV, the longer the beer will preserve.
Good to know, thanks.(y) Neither beer was over 5%. Both were lagers.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't really disagree, not really a wrong way to enjoy beer. Craft brewers are releasing their IPAs too early to get them onto the shelves and free up fermenters. Personally IPAs don't hit their sweet spot for me until they've had a month to age to lose some bitterness (we call it being too green) and have the hoppiness peak in aroma and flavor.
That explains it. Thanks a million. I went through my craft phase awakening over 20 years ago and loved some IPAs but since then I noticed they didn't taste as good.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Virtually every beer will age differently. Hops are a preservative, residual sugars can act as a preservative, higher alcohol acts as a preservative, etc... Generally, light bodied, lightly hopped beers/ales won't hold as long. If they remain refrigerated and have a decent CO2 level, they can still last for years.

The 333 was probably at its best about a month or two after it was bottled depending on how it was being stored. It's difficult to say why the Spanish beer was turning. My guess is how it was handled before it reached your fridge as the biggest culprit but having a lager last that long in any case is a bit of a crap shoot.

Only exception may be the barrel aged beers, but still those are gone within a week in my house. I just love beer.
I have a couple barley wines
(technically a very high malt, high alcohol ale)
that I made in my brewery that are 10+ years old, one is 15 years old and every time I open a bottle, it has developed different notes. It is stored like a wine and shows no signs of turning.

Some "fresh" beers are best drank a week or two after they are conditioned. Other hoppy beers - especially those with high bittering hop content need time to meld and tame the sharpness of the bitter.

It's really all over the place on when a beer is at its best. I opened a 20 year old strong amber several years back. I made it when I was in college and gave it to my sister. It sat in her wine cellar for all that time. Frankly, I thought it was going to be disgusting. Nope. It was really good. Probably hadn't really changed much over the last 19+ years but was still in great shape.

Aside from some session style IPAs I'd agree whole heartedly. Although, our session IPA was best after sitting in the brite tank for a month or so. I never got to see how it would develop beyond that as it usually sold pretty fast. As a brewer, I loved that beer. It was really inexpensive to brew because you not only use less malt but because you are using less malt, the hops really come through so you end up using less hops too. Cost was about half of many of my other ales and it was hoppy as hell.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh... and fresh hopped beers tend to be best drank shortly after they are conditioned. The hops are generally added in the end of the boil and during fermentation so very little bittering qualities (acts as a preservative) are released by the hops - even if they are technically bittering hops. You are going after the floral qualities which can fade quickly. They also can make for an amazing nitro.