Balzer on Jackson's Contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/S ... Feb-8.aspx

Rams players voted running back Steven Jackson a captain this season, and he has often said he wants to retire a Ram. The question now is whether that will happen following a contract adjustment signed by Jackson on Sept. 8, one day before the start of the regular season.

While numerous reports Thursday evening said Jackson has the option of voiding the 2013 final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent, my sources indicate the void is automatic if Jackson is on the Rams roster five days after the Super Bowl, which would be Feb. 8.

Certainly, there is the possibility that his contract could be renegotiated again before Feb. 8 or that an agreement could occur after Feb. 8, prior to the start of the league year in March. However, the current arrangement occurred because the two parties weren’t able to reach agreement on a contract extension beyond 2013 when Jackson will turn 30 and is scheduled to be paid $7 million. His salary is also $7 million for this season.

The Feb. 8 date precludes a trade unless the void terms are changed because deals can’t be made until the start of the league year. The Rams could release Jackson after the Feb. 3 Super Bowl and before Feb. 8, but that is unlikely because the Rams would then get no draft-pick compensation for him if he signed with another team.

By simply allowing the void to occur, the Rams could receive compensation in 2014 depending on the deal he would sign with a new team. The Rams would also retain the ability to place a franchise or transition tag on Jackson prior to the beginning of the league year, assuming they didn’t give up that right in the renegotiation. This year, the franchise figure for running backs was $7.742 million.

Obviously, as this season develops, the lingering question will be whether the Rams will want him back and at what price. For Jackson’s part, it could very well come down to how much he would accept to stay. He could always test the market in March and see how much interest there is in a 30-year-old running back.

Jackson insisted Thursday night that he wants to be here. He likes what the team is doing, even with some of the struggles on offense. “As an offense we still have some ways we can get better,” he said. “If we grow at the rate that I think we should and we will grow, we’re going to be a very dangerous team.”

Asked about his contract situation, Jackson said, “It’s a part of the business. I’ve said that from the beginning that, even in 2004, I wanted to retire here. This organization gave me the opportunity to live out a dream. In 2008 they extended me and at the end of the season we’ll see what happens with me. But something is happening here and I want to be a part of it.”

Speeps

Starter
Fisher also came out and said he would like to have Steven Jackson back. My guess, is that SJ39 will be in Blue and Gold next season, but at a cheaper price.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The way people are reporting this JUST PISSES ME OFF and is part and parcel to why I hold the press in disdain.

SJ is a multi millionaire running back the Rams are a billion dollar enterprise whatever differences they have will redound to NEITHER having to be left destitute, but there are some who live life as the professionally offended who will report this as those ungrateful Rams who have used this poor victim up and now in the twilight of his career he is being thrown on the shit running back pile.

SJ has framed it correctly ,it's a business with economic realities that being emotional ABOUT can only divide a fan base from the team. WHATEVER SJ gets another player DOES NOT, it's a capped league. This team will spend all it's cap.

Billy Simms said it best when he was a rookie and introduced himself to the team " I'm Billy Simms and I'm why a lot of you guys didn't get a raise"