Australian Wildfires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What’s the scoop down there, @kurtfaulk ?

Sydney suburb becomes hottest place on earth as temps reach 120 degrees; wildfire death toll reaches 23

Australia’s wildfire crisis reached new heights Saturday after it was reported that temperatures in a large suburb in the western part of Sydney reached 120 degrees Fahrenheit, making it the hottest place on earth.

"We are now in a position where we are saying to people it's not safe to move, it's not safe to leave these areas," New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters. "We are in for a long night and I make no bones about that. We are still yet to hit the worst of it.”

By nightfall, some 3,600 firefighters were battling blazes that continued to burn across the state.

High temperatures, dry heat and strong winds have created the perfect storm to allow the now-more than 200 fires to continue to burn and spread at a rapid speed since the wildfires first began in early Sept.

"The ignition sources are already there," Country Fire Service chief officer Mark Jones said Friday. "There are millions of sparks out there ready to go if they break containment lines."

Smoke from the wildfires has choked air quality and turned daytime skies to near-nighttime darkness in the worst-hit areas. Its presence can be even seen in satellite images.

Video and images shared on social media showed blood red skies taking over Mallacoota, a coastal town in Victoria where as many as 4,000 residents and tourists were forced to shelter on beaches as the navy tried to evacuate as many people as possible.

Kangaroo Island, which lies just off the coast of South Australia, has seen some of the worst destruction to land and wildlife.

One man shared a video to Facebook Thursday that showed fire tornadoes that were forming due to the strong winds.

“Here’s another fire twister on Kangaroo Island this afternoon. We had a fair few of them today and it wasn’t even a hot day,” his post read.

A father and son, 78 and 43, died on the island Saturday bringing the total death count up to at least 23, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

"We are facing another extremely difficult next 24 hours,” Morrison said at a televised news conference where he announced that about 3,000 reservists have been called up to battles the wildfires.

“In recent times, particularly over the course of the balance of this week, we have seen this disaster escalate to an entirely new level."

Defense Minister Linda Reynolds said it was the first time that reservists had been called up "in this way in living memory and, in fact, I believe for the first time in our nation's history.”

An early and hot start to Australia’s summer has contributed to the wildfires which have now burned more than 12.35 million acres of land and destroyed more than 1,500 homes.

In addition to the loss of human life, Australia’s wildlife has been heavily impacted.

Sydney University ecologist Chris Dickman told the Sydney Morning Herald that it is likely that 500 million birds, reptiles and mammals in New South Wales alone have been killed in the fires. This excludes frogs, bats and insects which he said would make his estimate far greater than that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, I heard that some species in Australia could go extinct because of those fires. It's an awful situation all around, and I hope that our Australian posters are all right.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

just summer.

and a lot of people living near the bush. every seven years or so you get a really bad bushfire season. with the little rain we've had it was always gonna be a bad one this year. they started in october and just haven't stopped. too many fire bugs as well. they really are scum.

we've had weeks of smoke haze. it makes it difficult to breathe outside.

but yesterday was ridiculous. 49 degrees celsius is crazy. where i live it got up to 47 degrees celsius.

i really don't know how people live near the bush or in homes surrounded by the bush. last place on earth i'd live.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

just summer.

and a lot of people living near the bush. every seven years or so you get a really bad bushfire season. with the little rain we've had it was always gonna be a bad one this year. they started in october and just haven't stopped. too many fire bugs as well. they really are scum.

we've had weeks of smoke haze. it makes it difficult to breathe outside.

but yesterday was ridiculous. 49 degrees celsius is crazy. where i live it got up to 47 degrees celsius.

i really don't know how people live near the bush or in homes surrounded by the bush. last place on earth i'd live.

Thanks for sharing. Cool to hear from someone right there. (y)

Sounds yucky. Nothing dangerous near you?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for sharing. Cool to hear from someone right there. (y)

Sounds yucky. Nothing dangerous near you?

Nah. It's all good in the suburbs. And we're not backed up to a Bush reserve. Just the smoke haze.

The firemen out on the frontline though, it must be a living hell for them.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Thanks for the thread cgi. My wife’s relatives are all in the bush , I was there over the New Years period , we’re back in Melbourne now where it’s safe and it’s raining today which is a blessing. The worry is at the moment there is a fire on Mt.Buffalo which is near the family farm. its ok at the moment but they’re ready to vacate if it gets too close.

TK42-RAM

93DED8CF-C283-4BF6-A00A-470702D7A2EB.jpeg

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Spent some time in Sydney. Beautiful area, and good people down-unda'.

One of our son's girlfriend lives in Queensland area. She and her family are still safe, but the fires aren't too far away.

TK42-RAM

Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. Nothing like first hand stuff.

@TK42-RAM Did you take that photo?

Photo taken by my brother in law. His family are there at the moment. Even here in Melbourne which is over 200km away the smell of smoke this morning is intense.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Common sense lessons should be learned from these fires. They happen all the time, but controlled burned by property owners to create a firebreak have been outlawed. Evidence from the 2009 Australian fires showed that, and yet, more than a decade later, they doubled down. My friends in Gold Coast are safe, but an hour north and an hour safe the fires rage. He says that many of his friends are frustrated by the no-burn laws.

Any of you locals have the same issues?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Australia bushfires: Mega blaze likely on Friday evening

The merger is expected at the border of New South Wales and Victoria and has been feared for days.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison warned Friday would be "a difficult day in the eastern states" amid forecasts of heat, strong winds and dry lightning.

In South Australia, Kangaroo Island also faced an abrupt threat.

A spokesman for the New South Wales (NSW) Rural Fire Service told the BBC the merger of two fires - both of which are out of control - was "imminent" and expected at about 8pm (09:00 GMT).

The two fires at Dunns Road and East Ournie Creek has firefighters bracing for a difficult night - and aircraft won't be able to operate after dark.

More than 100 bushfires are burning in worst-hit NSW alone, but the danger is equally great in Victoria.

Victoria's Country Fire Authority issued several emergency warnings on Friday, telling people to evacuate before it became too dangerous.

In parts of both Victoria and NSW, authorities urged people to leave their homes "to avoid tragedy".

Fires in NSW have destroyed about 1,000 homes since the New Year.

Mr Morrison said that two ships remained off the coast of NSW ready to evacuate towns if needed.

What happened on Kangaroo Island?

A town on the island in South Australia spent the night cut off by bushfires as the weather whipped up the most significant threat for almost a week.

Erratic winds on Thursday had amplified a blaze which isolated the island's biggest town, Kingscote, from roads.

Since September, at least 27 people have died in Australia's bushfires, which have destroyed more than 10.3 million hectares nationally.

"We are a long way from the end of this crisis and this disaster," Mr Morrison said.

Firefighters from the US, Canada and New Zealand are among those who have flown in to assist fatigued crews.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So over the weekend Sydney copped one foot of rain, as did most of the nsw coast.

All the bushfires were put out.

The dam that services Sydney increased from 40% full to 70% full over three days. That's one and a half years worth of water supply in a weekend.