Austin Expected to be Ready for Season Opener/ Hemingway Suffers Fractured Fibula and Injury Update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Austin-Expected-to-be-Ready-for-Season-Opener/cc5df65c-b237-4d6f-b5c0-9160237733c6

austin_return_640.jpg

http://www.therams.com/videos/index.html

Wide receiver Tavon Austin has been sidelined since early in training camp with a hamstring injury. He was sidelined for the majority of the offseason program, too, after undergoing surgery on his wrist.

And while Austin won’t play against Green Bay on Thursday — nor will any of Los Angeles’ starters — head coach Sean McVay said on Sunday that the wideout should be ready to go on Sept. 10 for the season opener agains the Colts.

“He’s made huge progress with [head trainer] Reggie [Scott] over the last week where he’s running, reaching some higher speeds on the treadmill and stuff where it’s 100 percent of his weight that he’s supporting. So those have been some good things. And we’re going to have to start brainstorming some ways of how we’re going to utilize Tavon in that game — which will be fun.”

Because Austin has not done much on the field since McVay took over as head coach, there’s still some question as to how the wideout will fit in the new offense. But McVay says that’s a good problem to have.

“The anticipation is he’s going to be a part of that game plan,” McVay said. “How exactly we utilize him are fun things for us to be able to figure out. But he’s going to be a part of that for sure.”

Hemingway Suffers Fractured Fibula

Second-year tight end Temarrick Hemingway will be out for a significant amount of time after suffering a fractured fibula on Saturday, head coach Sean McVay said on Sunday.

“Unfortunate for him because he was one of those that [we’d] seen a lot of encouraging things [from], did a lot of really good things on the line of scrimmage — especially in the run game,” McVay said. “So that’s a big loss for us. And it’s going to require some guys to step up in his absence. And we’ll see how guys handle that.”

Hemingway was carted off the field following a nine-yard run by Malcolm Brown in the second quarter of Saturday’s preseason matchup against the Chargers. According to McVay, Hemingway is slated to have surgery on Tuesday. After the procedure, McVay said there will be more clarity on the extent of the injury and a timetable for recovery.

“There’s a couple different ways that it could play out, where it could potentially be an eight-to-10-week thing, where he’d be one of those guys [who’s a candidate] for the IR/designated to return possibility,” McVay said. “But if you go in there and you find some different things based on him getting rolled up on, it could be a three-to-four-month injury. So you can’t really say until you fully have the surgery, get in there, and see the specifics of what’s going on.”

Selected in the sixth round of last year’s draft out of South Carolina State, Hemingway was mainly a special teams contributor as a rookie, but had been carving out a significant role for himself in McVay’s offense.

“He was one of the guys that I was extremely encouraged with — we were as a staff — and really counting on him for some big things,” McVay said. “I think when you talk about the length, the athleticism, his movement — when he gets the ball in his hands, he can create after the catch. He offered a lot of flexibility with what we could do with some of our personnel groupings.

“So it’s a big loss for us,” McVay continued. “And, like I said, it’ll be interesting to see who steps up to fill that void because there certainly is one left by what we had anticipated for Temarrick for the start of the season.”

With Hemingway sidelined, McVay said tight ends like Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett may have to contribute more in the run game. And Cory Harkeycontinues to be an option at the position, too.

“What Cory Harkey has been to this organization over the last couple years offers him an opportunity to step up,” McVay said. “Cory’s a good football player that does bring some versatility to the position, and those are very helpful things for us.”

Two younger tight ends who will have a chance to showcase their talents on Thursday against Green Bay are Johnny Mundt and Travis Wilson.

“[T]hey’ll get a lot of snaps and it will be a great opportunity for us to evaluate them as well,” McVay said.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of the starters will be back for Indy, we just need Donald now...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Most of the starters will be back for Indy, we just need Donald now...

And that's a big if, his agent is trying to change the way of doing business and I'm for every person getting as much money as possible because God knows most corporations and large business have one goal in mind and the people are interchangeable. In Donald's case, his agent and Donald himself feel that they have leverage and I'm not so sure Donald will be back soon and if he is the Rams will have to limit his reps until he gets in game shape.

Too bad about Hemmingway, however, I really wanted the Rams to keep Harkey because I believe he's the only TE on the roster that can consistently block. Harkey will line up at FB and Trevor Wilson most likely makes the roster unless another TE shakes lose that offers a bit more than Wilson, but Wilson does offer some upside and has looked good in preseason.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You get the sense That McVay really liked Hemingway and probably had some 3tightend sets in his playbook that he wanted to use

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Temarrick Hemingway injury is an negative as they usually are...but I have been down on the TE situation for the last 3 gms & this loss hurts. I liked Hemingway better & felt that he had better overall talent than Tyler Higbee. One TE/FB that most here have written off was Cory Harkey, whom I have supported for long time. I want Cory involved in assisting that right side OL in protection of Goff. With the loss of Hemingway, Cory becomes even more valuable. CH is a veteran of 54 NFL gms that McVay can place the weight of the loss of Hemingway clearly on. Cory can handle what ever he can toss on him.

In gm 4 of PS we stand to see for the first time the over 6-7 260 pound ex QB Travis Wilson. I have no ideal if its possible for him to make this MS, but he may now sneak on the Practice Squad. Johnny Mundt sure looks like a thin light TE to me 6-4 230 that would play more of Everett role than the TE role but you never know with McVay & his TE's.

Rookie FB Sam Rogers stands a chance to have more of a role too. If Cory end up with playing more of the TE role & blocking in the LOS then Sam is sure to take up the previous Cory FB action. The injury to Hemingway turns up the pressure on anyone associated with the TE role.

Now onto our first top draft selection of 2017 Gerald Everett.....I expect great things from this young man. I sure like what I have seen from him on the few opportunities this pre season. Snead/McVay pick appears early to have been an outstanding one .:yess:

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What if Austins injury had been over with for weeks, but McVay has been keeping him as a secret

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What if Austins injury had been over with for weeks, but McVay has been keeping him as a secret
I don't get it? A secret from what?

Ask the Colts, they know about Austin!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And that's a big if, his agent is trying to change the way of doing business and I'm for every person getting as much money as possible because God knows most corporations and large business have one goal in mind and the people are interchangeable. In Donald's case, his agent and Donald himself feel that they have leverage and I'm not so sure Donald will be back soon and if he is the Rams will have to limit his reps until he gets in game shape.
One thing dawned on me last night, watching a discussion on QB Derrick Carr. He signed a huge contract extension 3 years into his Rookie contract. Maybe Donald feels, IF the Raiders can do that fore Carr, when they have control of him for two more years, Why can't the Rams do the same for him!?! " Leverage for Donald!"

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
One thing dawned on me last night, watching a discussion on QB Derrick Carr. He signed a huge contract extension 3 years into his Rookie contract. Maybe Donald feels, IF the Raiders can do that fore Carr, when they have control of him for two more years, Why can't the Rams do the same for him!?! " Leverage for Donald!"

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe they were drafted the same year, and since Carr was drafted in the 2nd the Raiders dont have 5th year option for him meaning he was on the last year of his deal. Not to mention the tag would be much closer to his actual price tag on new deal, while Donald's tag would be less than his actual price on new deal. Heck even the 2nd tag price would only be about the same as his new deal price. Vastly different situations IMO

jap

Legend
I don't get it? A secret from what?

Ask the Colts, they know about Austin!

The Colts do! But now they have to defend the field against Sammy, Robert, Cooper Everett, Pharoh, and Tavon too!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe they were drafted the same year, and since Carr was drafted in the 2nd the Raiders dont have 5th year option for him meaning he was on the last year of his deal. Not to mention the tag would be much closer to his actual price tag on new deal, while Donald's tag would be less than his actual price on new deal. Heck even the 2nd tag price would only be about the same as his new deal price. Vastly different situations IMO
You may be right, IDK, I was assuming Carr was a 1st Round pick, I don't recall! You make very valid points, under these circumstances! But they still could have just tagged Carr rather than pay him big bucks this year!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I liked Hemingway better & felt that he had better overall talent than Tyler Higbee.
Me too....the more I watch of Higbee, the more I see a lost season if Goff and Higbee are trying to create Washington Redskins west. Higbee either doesn't have it, or doesn't WANT it...Not sure what Everett can do as a rookie, but he looks good. It's funny that Harkey probably gets cut if not for this injury....I know his uncle would be please to see him out there one more season.

Tavon.....I've tried to believe in Tavon too....still remember the 12 target game by Sam Bradford....Tavon's rookie year...could have been his 2nd year....and balls were exploding off of his hands. Tavon is why I look at so many hotshot players and say, "nope, can't cut it." It's called the first mind theory...what my first thoughts say, I go with....
So, season to start....Offense comes off shakey performance...and defense is missing its best player....

Rams indeed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess the "Travis Wilson will catch at least 35 passes" bet is still on....

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
You may be right, IDK, I was assuming Carr was a 1st Round pick, I don't recall! You make very valid points, under these circumstances! But they still could have just tagged Carr rather than pay him big bucks this year!

But tagging him next year would have been about 22m anyway, so its a marginal difference. This isnt like the Cousins situation where the team isnt sold on Carr being their guy. They clearly wanted him around long term so other than that roughly 3m savings, theres no upside in the tag for Carr, and getting the deal done early actually helps lower the cost long term because the QB market is only going to continue to grow.

Where as in Donald's situation, they have him at roughly 8m (i think?) for his 5th year and than his 1st tag year would be 17m (DE) or 14m (DT). A 2nd tag would result in about 20m (DE) or 17m (DT) price tag. And if Donald's asking price is the reported 20m, that means the Rams, if they so choose, can have Donald on a STEEP discount in year 5, a 3m or 6m discount in year 6 and 0 or 3m discount in year 7. Not giving Donald a new deal this early has much more benefits for the Rams than the Raiders would have with Carr. A more accurate situation to Donald would be OBJ, but even then its not quite the same because the WR tag would be closer to his new deal price tag, than the DE/DT tag price would be to Donald's new deal price tag.

Now whether you agree with the Rams reluctance to giving him a new deal is completely up to you, I'm just presenting the reasons why the Rams benefit from not being so eager to give him a new deal this early.

Ram65

Legend
Temerick is a nice guy who was on Jake's podcast. Can't say I watched him closely this preseason but, reports were very encouraging. The Harkey/Rogers debate may have been settle with TH injury. I notice Rogers in early against the Chargers. Seemed to seal of his man very well. Didn't think he would make the 53 but, who knew what McVay and Co. were thinking. Travis Wilson now gets a little more life. Big dude that I thought would be on the PS.

Tavon hasn't run many plays and was reported to struggle a little early. I think McVay has a handful of plays for Tavon. Hope to see him in the fake and real reverse. Some in the backfield and few routes.

I thought I might been a AD thread.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But tagging him next year would have been about 22m anyway, so its a marginal difference. This isnt like the Cousins situation where the team isnt sold on Carr being their guy. They clearly wanted him around long term so other than that roughly 3m savings, theres no upside in the tag for Carr, and getting the deal done early actually helps lower the cost long term because the QB market is only going to continue to grow.

Where as in Donald's situation, they have him at roughly 8m (i think?) for his 5th year and than his 1st tag year would be 17m (DE) or 14m (DT). A 2nd tag would result in about 20m (DE) or 17m (DT) price tag. And if Donald's asking price is the reported 20m, that means the Rams, if they so choose, can have Donald on a STEEP discount in year 5, a 3m or 6m discount in year 6 and 0 or 3m discount in year 7. Not giving Donald a new deal this early has much more benefits for the Rams than the Raiders would have with Carr. A more accurate situation to Donald would be OBJ, but even then its not quite the same because the WR tag would be closer to his new deal price tag, than the DE/DT tag price would be to Donald's new deal price tag.

Now whether you agree with the Rams reluctance to giving him a new deal is completely up to you, I'm just presenting the reasons why the Rams benefit from not being so eager to give him a new deal this early.
My Opinion, although it has no sway with the Front office, is the should pay Donald Now and get him into Camp!!