Article: Belichick's change to OL might revolutionize NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DthOn2Legs

Rookie
The New England Patriots' offense is off to a ferocious start. New England has scored 119 points through the first three games of the season, second in the NFL and the most points through three games in Patriots history.

But beyond Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, and Julian Edelman — not to mention Bill Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels at the helm — there is a less obvious reason to explain New England's fast start: the fact they are revolutionizing their offensive line.

The Boston Herald took a deep dive on the frequency with which New England has been rotating its offensive line, and it's unlike anything else you'll find in football. Through their first 30 offensive possessions this year, the Patriots have rolled out nine offensive-line combinations (not including kneels to end halves), and they deployed a 10th unique combination on goal-line packages against the Jaguars that resulted in three LeGarrette Blount rushing touchdowns. Against the Steelers in Week 1, they didn't begin consecutive possessions with the same offensive-line combination until the sixth and seventh possessions.

Most of these rotations have come at the guard position. Three linemen have taken a lot of snaps on both sides of the line, which — again — is quite unlike what other teams do. Josh Kline has played 10 series at left guard and 14 at right; Shaq Mason has played 20 at left guard; and Tre' Jackson has played 16 at right guard. Only David Andrew, the team's center, has played all snaps.

The idea to rotate linemen over the course of the game may not sound particularly groundbreaking. But compared with how the rest of the NFL approaches the offensive line, this is quite unusual.

In general, teams will take their best combination of linemen and use them all game long, rather than switching them out as New England is. The reasoning behind this traditional approach to line play isn't all that hard to fathom: Teams want to keep their best players in for as many possessions as possible, and switching it up will mess with communication and chemistry.

But Belichick has changed that, at least so far this season. As the Herald noted, this rotation is inevitably causing opposing defenses to prepare not just for different packages, but also for different combinations of linemen within one individual package and within different packages.

Dave DeGulielmo, New England's offensive line coach, told the Herald that there are specific strategical reasons to explain the frequency of these rotations — though don't expect him to say what those reasons are.

"It’s not done just randomly. There’s a specific reason why we rotate guys when we do, where we rotate them," DeGuglielmo said. "There’s a rhyme and reason to everything."

Because it's Belichick and the Patriots we're talking about, this is probably true. But the rotations can also be explained by two more practical reasons: youth and injuries.

Both Jackson and Mason are rookies, so rotating them out allows for them to receive more in-game coaching than if they were expected to play all game long in front of Brady. It also puts less pressure on them to maintain a high level of play all game long. The same holds true for Kline, who is only in his 3rd season and saw limited time in his first two. Both Brian Stork and Ryan Wendell, mainstays on the Patriots line, have missed time this season with injuries, which can also explain why more lineman are seeing more time.

As the Herald notes, it's not implausible that Belichick is simply extending the try-out period into the regular season because of the youth at the position, and once the best combination of the offensive line becomes clear, he'll stick with it all season long.

But again, this is Belichick we're talking about, so it's not crazy to think we'll soon see teams copying this rotation strategy. This could mean that in the future, the offensive line is treated a lot more like the defensive line: certain offensive linemen with specific skill sets will be brought in exclusively for rushing plays, or goal line plays, and so forth, just as certain defensive linemen are used for pass-rushing or crowding the box. If what the Patriots are doing holds on, the whole position could be changed.

Or, Belichick will make up his mind on his players and stop the rotations all together. Either, or.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-belichick-made-simple-change-155902845.html

jjab360

Legend
I can understand the benefits of keeping your starting 5 on the field the entire game (communication, cohesion), but when teams are constantly rotating their DL to keep them fresh, I can't see why the same wasn't done on the OL ages ago.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can understand the benefits of keeping your starting 5 on the field the entire game (communication, cohesion), but when teams are constantly rotating their DL to keep them fresh, I can't see why the same wasn't done on the OL ages ago.
I think they do it, more to gain a matchup advantage, something that they have always done, and makes fantasy owners crazy. It a philosophy that I share. Attack the opponents weakness. Nobody does it better than them, and no player, other than Brady probably, cares, who gets the TD.

Besides the line, they also rotate players in and out of their 46, and their 53, depending on who they are playing. Take Blounts 3 TD's. They go heavy on the line, give the ball to a 260lb RB, and with the threat of Brady, and Gronk, try to stop them.

The rotation will help all the players get familiar, with all the positions, which will help greatly, if there is an injury. It also gets the young players ready to play, without compromising the rest of the team.

It is a copycat league, and it sounds like what they are doing is pretty smart.

I hate the fucking Cheatriots, BTW.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This is WHY I hate the Patriots. They're fucking brilliant anyway. There is no NEED for them to cheat. It's not like it's a perennial loser cheating because it's the only way they can win. If they'd never cheated, I'm willing to bet they'd STILL have won multiple superbowls.

Examples like this show that actually, Belichick is the best. And if he wasn't a fucking fat, cheating, puddle-drinking cockrocket he'd be revered in this league.

I just don't get it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Um... fuck the patsies and anything that is written about them. They could reinvent the wheel AND make a better mouse trap and I'd still say the same thing. They can go straight to hell.

BTW - no offense intended toward the OP.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they don't have an established star QB and decent receivers all in the same system for years with some long time Oline pieces this would not work. Could anyone see this working out for the Rams right now? No way. Jacksonville? get out of town. Some teams can afford a luxury like this while others simply cant. Is it some kind of innovation? Nah it is more of an extrapolation. Teams have used jumbo packages and goal line packages for years. This is just more backslapping adulation of some reporter thinking he is recognizing more Belichick genius and rushing to credit him for it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
They are worlds beyond most of the rest of the league in coaching. Hate it to admit it - but its true.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I've been saying all along, "Why not put an occasional offensive lineman in the TE position." An extra lineman gives us an extra push when we run the ball, a firmer pocket, more time for Foles to find open receivers. I'm tired of our TE lunge and whiff blocks.

OR, let's go unbalanced lines for a few plays a game. I'm just spit balling here, but Fisher or Cig need to force defensive coordinators to over plan and disperse and water down their defensive game plan. As of Right Now, the Rams have the most predictable offense in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's probably a shell game. Keep rotating OLs with a radio jammer in their helmet set to the frequency of the defense's radio. :LOL:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
It's not just to have them fresh. If it is a running play, you go "jumbo" on the guys who are in. Then you go guys who might be better suited for ZBS, the next play. You move the pocket w/ the next grouping. Then you run a screen w/ the next. And now you have your opponent tracking player combinations. And once tendencies are established....the counter to it is now insured. (Coach O could word this much better to get my point and a few other nuances across.....sorry...Now I see him ...or jrry32). It's really an interesting thing. And another question should be.....since we have all of our linemen almost brand new....why in the 7 hells aren't we doing it?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is just more backslapping adulation of some reporter thinking he is recognizing more Belichick genius and rushing to credit him for it.

The author of this article, Emmett Knowlton, graduated from Amherst College in Massachussets in 2015. Doesn't mean he's a Patriots fan, just saying.

At this point I don't care how goofy or unorthodox it seems, the Rams should try just about anything to get the running game going. Getting Tavon Austin out of the backfield would be a start. Are they trying to get him injured? As others have mentioned, stick an extra TE or two in there and dare the opposing team to try and stop us.

Between the 5 O-linemen alone we have over 1,600 pounds of beef and they can't open a hole for a running back? C'mon man!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Um... freak the patsies and anything that is written about them. They could reinvent the wheel AND make a better mouse trap and I'd still say the same thing. They can go straight to hell.

So it was directed at me, huh?? :wabbit:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was listening to Pat Kirwin on the ride home and he said...

"If the opposing team does A, you need to do B. If they do C, you need to be prepared to do D. A good coach, like Bellichick, can throw the whole alphabet at you".

As much as I hate to say it, he's pretty damn smart and a hell of a tactician. You never see the Patriots lay an egg. Never. Or at the very least rarely.

I wish we had this degree of creativity among our leadership. Maybe its there, but it's not exactly delivered results offensively.

maximus

Rookie
At this point I don't care how goofy or unorthodox it seems, the Rams should try just about anything to get the running game going. Getting Tavon Austin out of the backfield would be a start. Are they trying to get him injured? As others have mentioned, stick an extra TE or two in there and dare the opposing team to try and stop us.

Between the 5 O-linemen alone we have over 1,600 pounds of beef and they can't open a hole for a running back? C'mon man!

Patsies used a 6th OL to run all over Colts. Cody Wichmann looked strong in preseason, always standing his ground. Can he be the 6th OL?

Dallas last season and Atlanta this season were/are using a full-back with great success. Why not use one if Fisher says his offense is run first ? Harkey or C Reynolds can play that role, also catch the ball once in a while.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Patsies used a 6th OL to run all over Colts. Cody Wichmann looked strong in preseason, always standing his ground. Can he be the 6th OL?

Dallas last season and Atlanta this season were/are using a full-back with great success. Why not use one if Fisher says his offense is run first ? Harkey or C Reynolds can play that role, also catch the ball once in a while.

Yes, absolutely. Why this hasn't already been done with an inexperienced O-line is beyond me.

RedRam

Pro Bowler

Yes, absolutely. Why this hasn't already been done with an inexperienced O-line is beyond me.

Exactly. If you want to play "smash-mouth football" then you're going to have to smash some mouths. Let the big dogs eat I say! Something will have to move when 270-320 lbs hits the line of scrimmage with some momentum, say from the FB spot. The play action stuff isn't going to fool anybody until they can run the ball.

Irish

Starter
The difference between Belichick and every other coach is he does not let his pride get in the way making smart decisions. So often you see these head coaches dig their heels in on what they believe that it costs them their jobs. Keep running a scheme despite having the wrong personnel, refuse to adapt in the face of adversity, and most importantly double down on decisions even when they, and really everyone else knows that that decision is just dead wrong.

Belichick is a cheat, he is an asshole, he is Hatable with a capital H, but he is not stupid. He has adapted every single year he has been with the Pats, he learned from his mistakes, and he surrounds himself with people who share his philosophy. It's why the Pats, regardless of catastrophic injuries to key cogs, or criminal allegations against superstar players, or losing important coordinators, or anything else you could throw at them simply shrug off adversity.

It also doesn't hurt that he might have the greatest QB of all time playing for him...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
it's not Belichick that's the genius it's his little fucking football savant guy Ernie Adams or w/e his name is that he keeps hidden in the equipment room behind all their half deflated footballs.

Moostache

Rookie
Um... freak the patsies and anything that is written about them. They could reinvent the wheel AND make a better mouse trap and I'd still say the same thing. They can go straight to hell.

I could not agree more.
The constant need to praise Bellicheat is sickening.