Are we about to see a “market correction” on RBs and WRs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
In recent years, we’ve seen the running back position significantly devalued. The arguments for this are pretty consistent: (1) RBs have a short shelf-life and rarely produce after age 30, and (2) cheap rookie RBs can come into the league and produce right away.

At the same time, the WR market has gone through the roof, with megadeals being signed by several players at the conclusion of their rookie deals.

I wonder, though, if 2024 is trending in a manner that might cause something of a “market correction” that benefits RBs while cooling the market for WRs.

On the RB side of the equation, three of the league’s top four rushers (1. Derrick Henry, 3. Saquon Barkley, 4. Josh Jacobs) are players who were let go by their original team and signed on the FA market. And the top guy, Henry, is 30. While he may be an outlier, the success of RB “retreads” may help others who hit the market in the near future.

On the flip side, WRs are starting to look like RBs. Top players with big contracts (recently Brandon Aiyuk and Chris Godwin) are going down with injuries. At the same time, rookies are having early success.

So, perhaps we’ll start seeing a shift in the valuation of these positions. Either that, or one day we’ll be signing Puka Nacua for $40M a year and letting Kyren Williams leave in FA.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think if you're a top offensive weapon then you're worth paying. But for RBs to make that milestone you gotta be able to threaten in the pass game or be a cut above the best, and a lot of backs don't rate that. The ones who do though definitely are worth paying, provided you keep the term a bit shorter than you would with the wideout. McCaffrey rated it due to his pass game threat, though his history meant they knew they were taking big risks paying him. And the Rams it was similar, Gurley deserved the payday because he was elite as a runner but it blew up in their faces.

If you run an offense like the shitters do then you gotta pay the wideouts short term too. Basically if the wideout lines up in the backfield or is a big YAC beast it means shorter term as far as I'm concerned.

Didn't mind the Rams paying Kupp, for the record. And he will probably over time earn most of that money even though he's been injured of late. But the length of it was a bit long. Looks like they have an out but a guy like Kupp you'd ideally pay a couple years at a time. And Nacua is similar, same type of style of play that is going to result in being dinged up at this level.

I do like that the Rams pay guys who deserve it though. Even when it bites them. So not bitching about any of them, whether it's Gurley way back when or Kupp or whoever is next. I'd rather have my team reward dudes who deserve it than have a penny pinching piece of shit owner who can't lock dudes down.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Godwin's injury happened in the last year of his contract. You need a better example.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper Kupp, unfortunately.

It wasn't really his fault.

He was a stud after getting the contract. But for some reason they overworked him every game. After Stafford went down and that stiff wolford came in Kupp was thrown a ball that hung him out to dry and, predictably, got injured when the defender rolled over him. I gotta tell ya, I haven't hated a player more than wolford after that throw.

Everything snowballed from there.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It wasn't really his fault.

He was a stud after getting the contract. But for some reason they overworked him every game. After Stafford went down and that stiff wolford came in Kupp was thrown a ball that hung him out to dry and, predictably, got injured when the defender rolled over him. I gotta tell ya, I haven't hated a player more than wolford after that throw.

Everything snowballed from there.

Fault has nothing to do with my point.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Is he going into a contract year ?
Irrelevant to my point.

Kupp was given a big contract and, due to injuries, it has not paid off for the Rams as they had hoped. As has happened with RBs, if this happens more frequently with WRs who are given big $, teams may become reluctant to pay.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Irrelevant to my point.

Kupp was given a big contract and, due to injuries, it has not paid off for the Rams as they had hoped. As has happened with RBs, if this happens more frequently with WRs who are given big $, teams may become reluctant to pay.

YEAH SURE !! It’s Cooper Kupp dude. Say what you want. I’ll pick up a box of Kleenex.

He means more to The Rams than money.He will always be ready as well.IMO Sean Mcvay puts him in some dangerous spots.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
YEAH SURE !! It’s Cooper Kupp dude. Say what you want. I’ll pick up a box of Kleenex.

He means more to The Rams than money.He will always be ready as well.IMO Sean Mcvay puts him in some dangerous spots.
Yeah... you're totally missing the whole point of this discussion. :eyeroll:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah... you're totally missing the whole point of this discussion. :eyeroll:

Well look at what Kyren Williams means to The Rams.Mcvay has gone away from him against Da Bears & Packers. How that changes is The Rams lost 2 games they should have won.

IMO it’s a player by player.Your going to tell me Puka is not going to get PAID more than Kyren Williams?? Yeah - sure.

It’s still doesn’t take away from the first part about The Rams lossing. You can see the difference a healthy Puka means to The Rams.

You think all these WR trades mean a RB is more valuable?? Glad The Rams have Blake Corum. If you look at certain games last season you can see what a healthy Kyren Williams means to The Rams as well.

I guess I don’t get the point.Saw Todd Gurley made his first appearance to SOFI.He contract & injury was way WORSE than KUPP!!
Why the trade rumors ??? It tells you his value !! His character & work ethic is BARNONE !!