Are the Los Angeles Rams going 'all in' for 2024?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Are the Los Angeles Rams going 'all in' for 2024?​

The moves the Los Angeles Rams have made in the 2024 offseason all have one word in common: aggressive. They've signed numerous outside free agents for the first time in several years, they threw around significant draft capital in the 2024 NFL Draft, and made it a point to lock up several key in-house free agents.

Their aggressiveness feels like a stark departure from the plan they seemed to enact ahead of the 2023 season, which was sit back, rebuild the team using cheap rookie deals, and rely on the veterans on their roster to help develop the youth so they could move on from the bloated, expensive contract they handed out in years prior. Indeed, that strategy worked. The Rams made 14(!) draft picks in 2023 and have the least amount of dead cap in the NFL. And yet...

The Rams reneged on their 2023 strategy

And yet, the Rams flipped from that strategy in 2024. They handed out contracts worth well over $100M in free agency, between Jonah Jackson, Darious Williams, and Colby Parkinson alone the Rams handed out $96M in total value.

The Rams are notorious for their rather casual association with draft picks. Rams general manager Les Snead's "F* them picks" strategy led to two Super Bowl appearances and one ring from 2018 to 2021. Despite this, the Rams only moved up once in the entire 2023 draft. Indeed, they moved back twice in the third round and twice in the fifth, with their lone move up at the end of the sixth round. They have since said that they "tried" and "thought about" moving into round one last year but conversations never went anywhere.

This year, in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Rams flipped that strategy. In a new show the NFL released titled "NFL Draft: The Pick Is In". The Rams tried to trade up not once, not twice, but three times in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft. The Rams offered the New York Jets their first and second-round picks, 19 and 52, to move up to the 10th overall pick. The Jets declined, opting to swap back to 11th with the Minnesota Vikings.

The Rams upped the ante, offering the Jets 19, 52, AND one of their two third-round picks plus a sixth-round pick for the 11th overall pick. According to the Fitzgerald-Spielberger trade value chart, that package is equivalent in total value to the number-one overall pick. To say that it's a significant offer is, quite frankly, understating it and drawing into question the judgment of the Jets' front office for rejecting it.

Just after, the Rams offered a similar package to the Indianapolis Colts for the 15th overall pick, offering 19, 99, and a fifth-round pick. The Colts declined and the Rams stayed put at 19th overall, selecting Florida State pass rusher Jared Verse.

Less than 24 hours after these trades fell through, the Rams sent another trade offer in the second round. In a move that was labeled as the most expensive overpay of the last several years, the Rams moved up from 52 to 39 by sending their fifth-round pick in 2024 and second-round pick in 2025. They did this to secure Florida State defensive tackle Braden Fiske.

The Rams didn't move back once in the entire 2024 Draft. They completely flipped the script on their approach to the 2024 draft from the 2023 draft.

Coincidental contracts

Their radical shift didn't just occur in their draft process, however. Look at their deals in free agency. Darious Williams, Jonah Jackson, and Tre'Davious White are all essentially on one-year deals, White a true one-year deal, Williams and Jackson on pseudo-one-year deals with their guaranteed money.

Outside of Kevin Dotson's (who had plenty of leverage), all of these deals are effectively one-year deals or have guarantees so low they might as well be. It seems to me that all of these deals were crafted to secure the players for at least 2024, with the ability to move on if things went poorly.

The end of the 2024 season also brings Joe Noteboom's contract off the books and provides an opportunity to get out of Tyler Higbee and Rob Havenstein's contracts.

If the Rams do move on from them, the only mega deals left on the Rams' salary cap would be Cooper Kupp's, Kevin Dotson's (both of which run out of guarantees after the 2025 season)....and Matthew Stafford's.

The biggest coup de grace, in my opinion, is in Matthew Stafford's contract decision. Stafford reportedly wants reassurances that the Rams won't move on from him after this season. His 2024 salary is fully guaranteed, but he has no guaranteed money left for the remainder of his contract. The obvious answer, one that I thought would have happened right away given their stance of last year and previous years, was that he'd get a new deal fairly quickly. It has been two months and so far, no dice.

To me, this signals the Rams are thinking about their future beyond 2024. Paying him only for him to get hurt makes a bad situation already worse. Locking up any money for him in the future might take away their future if something goes wrong. The Rams didn't make any attempts at hiding their desire for a rookie quarterback in the 2024 draft, and they might be tempted to look again in the 2025 draft.

The reason the Rams signed Jimmy Garoppolo was to keep the offense afloat, if not humming if Stafford missed time. They could have stuck with Stetson Bennett or a rookie behind Stafford, but chose to bring in a capable vet who could steer the ship if Stafford was hurt. This was done likely to keep the team in contention for as long as possible.

Stafford's deal running out of guaranteed money the same year the Rams have all of these deals running out feels too coincidental to be an accident.

Full steam ahead for 2024

Why though? What was the process behind these decisions?

It is my own opinion, that the Rams might consider 2024 their "all-in" season.

If the Rams felt content to ride out the rest of Stafford's deal, maximizing their window with him through restructures and a new deal, as well as surrounding him with cheap talent through the draft, felt like the safe and obvious choice. It's a choice they haven't made yet.

Why suddenly become so aggressive and depart from the plan that had been working? Why stay so mum on Stafford's future?

All of these moves and sudden departures point to something changing in their front office. I doubt it's entirely driven by Aaron Donald's retirement, though that might have pushed their window up. Stafford is the engine that makes the whole team go, and the Rams know it. I suspect it is his deal that is the impetus behind this change.

This could end up aging incredibly poorly. Nothing is stopping the Rams and Stafford from getting a deal done in training camp and all of this winds up being a total coincidence. Their draft strategy could have entirely reflected how they felt about the 2024 class, and they'll go back to their prior strategy in a much more talented class in 2025.

I don't quite believe that, however. Retaining all of their key in-house free agents, even promoting Chris Shula to DC as their first-ever in-house coordinator hire, feels like moves made to keep as much stability from their 2023 season to go full steam all in for 2024.

There are too many signs that the Rams are gearing up to push their chips in for 2024 and see where they fall. Time will tell where the team ends up beyond that, but this could be a very different team in 2025 and 2026.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Saying they completely flipped the script from last year is a little extreme. They only made the one trade in the draft and I don’t feel like they went crazy in free agency. But yes, everybody and their mother talked about how after 2022 the Rams were targeting 2024 as their return to dominance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could see them taking a shot at the trade deadline given that they want to capitalize on Stafford's remaining time. But the problem is the moment they won the title with that approach it was validated and becomes the norm, this being a copycat league and all. And it's more true I think when you see how quickly they salary dumped and rebounded. Where, after all, is all the fire and brimstone rebuild the idiots in the media were forecasting when the window crashed.

Turns out it was one season of failure. Whoopedeedoo. Now of course most teams don't have a Coach McVay. But regardless I think if there are any superstars hitting this trade deadline there will be a ton of competition. And the Rams still need to at the very least solve LT, whether that will be Jackson being paid or positioning in next year's draft etc. LTs don't generally hit the trade deadline unless there's questions on whether they're a LT.

So my take on it is they'll either ink Jackson or package picks to move up and grab a LT. Or so I hope. For Stafford's sake. And it is possible they still need that pick for a QBotF even if they go with Jackson. So it's hard to imagine them getting too crazy.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
So according to this article, the Rams made an offer to the Jets equivalent to the value of the number one overall draft pick?

Um, no.

More silly off-season clickbait...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So according to this article, the Rams made an offer to the Jets equivalent to the value of the number one overall draft pick?

Um, no.

He's using the chart the bozos at over the cap use.

According to their dopey chart two #19 picks are equivalent to the #1 pick.

What team in their right mind would make that trade?

In every other chart the trade was equivalent to the #10 pick. Which, coincidently, was the pick they were trying to trade up to.

Still, thank the lord the Jets declined the offer. There's the value of the #10 pick when you still have all your other picks available and when it actually takes up half your picks in the draft.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
What does “all in” mean?

Using resources to try to build a team capable of winning now?

How dare they!

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The Rams have been all in EVERY year except 2023. That was a “rip the bandaid off” so they could once again go all in in 2024.

What the articles confuses is the multi-optional process the Rams employ, based on what they have available. For example, they have used #1 picks for instant impact vets when the Rams could afford them. They switched to a more draft dependent model as the $$ got tight and the roster got old. This year they used both.

What these pundits who merely regurgitate the standard diatribe never seem to acknowledge is that the Rams went to the SB twice in 5 years with nearly completely different rosters. They are now into their third rebuild in 7 seasons and once again, IMO, a legit SB contender. When the Rams go back to a 3rd SB in the McVay era maybe these guys who are paid to cover football will see what us longtime Ram fans can see:
The triumvirate of ownership/FO/HC has never been this good in our lifetime.

The Rams are just moving and changing direction too fast for most non-Ram fans to notice or appreciate. I mean, they won 10 games and made the playoffs in the only season they weren’t supposed to be good!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Personally, I don't agree with the use of the term "ALL IN" applied to an NFL team.

It does not seem appropriate to me.

In poker, when a player goes ALL IN, he pushes ALL his money into the center of the table.
Should he lose the hand, he is Done. Without any money remaining, he must get-up and leave the table.

In the NFL, if a team makes moves that sacrifice future draft capital, and will have costly cap implications but then does NOT win the Super Bowl that season, does that team get to play the next season? Does it forfeit every game the following year because it can not win?

Of course not. It re-tools albeit with less draft capital and greater cap restrictions, and it competes.

I understand and respect if posters disagree with me but I want credit for using the word ALBEIT in my post.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Rams didn't make any attempts at hiding their desire for a rookie quarterback in the 2024 draft,

Sounds like the article is insinuating the Rams wanted to move up for a quarterback. We know they tried to move up for Brock Bowers. And I seriously doubt they are considering moving on from Stafford after this season. The only way they consider that is if Stafford told them he plans to retire after the season. Which I also seriously doubt.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

The Rams are just moving and changing direction too fast for most non-Ram fans to notice or appreciate.

Clearly I am not impartial here.

I love the Rams, my wife, my family, my God, my friends and my country. And that may be the order.

That being said (please don't tell my wife), I also see the McVay/Snead Rams as the most creative, forward-thinking and innovative organization in the NFL. And that's been the case for several years now.

This NFL Draft: The Pick is In program is yet another example. The Rams appear to have given far more free and total access to NFL Films than any other team during the 2024 Draft. And, in my opinion, without the Rams' material, the program would have Sucked from boredom. Mostly just fluff and bull-shit that anyone paying attention in recent months already knew.

An example would be when Snead was speaking with Joe Douglas. There is only audio of Snead. You do not hear Douglas' voice until he is off the phone, and says "Let's get our pick in".

Rooting for a winning team is fun. Rooting for THIS winning team is a ton-of-fun.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Terrible article who is this clown?

It is a very weak and lazy effort.

It's not even factually accurate. He states the following:
'The Rams upped the ante, offering the Jets 19, 52, AND one of their two third-round picks plus a sixth-round pick for the 11th overall pick.'

The trade offer had a sixth round pick coming-back from the Jets.

I have seen this guy's work before, and it's just not any good, in my opinion.
A.J. Shulte is like the trio at Ramblin Fan/Turf Times ... Bret Stuter, Blaine Grisak and JB Scott ... very weak.

JYB

Starter

Are the Los Angeles Rams going 'all in' for 2024?​

The moves the Los Angeles Rams have made in the 2024 offseason all have one word in common: aggressive. They've signed numerous outside free agents for the first time in several years, they threw around significant draft capital in the 2024 NFL Draft, and made it a point to lock up several key in-house free agents.

Their aggressiveness feels like a stark departure from the plan they seemed to enact ahead of the 2023 season, which was sit back, rebuild the team using cheap rookie deals, and rely on the veterans on their roster to help develop the youth so they could move on from the bloated, expensive contract they handed out in years prior. Indeed, that strategy worked. The Rams made 14(!) draft picks in 2023 and have the least amount of dead cap in the NFL. And yet...

The Rams reneged on their 2023 strategy

And yet, the Rams flipped from that strategy in 2024. They handed out contracts worth well over $100M in free agency, between Jonah Jackson, Darious Williams, and Colby Parkinson alone the Rams handed out $96M in total value.

The Rams are notorious for their rather casual association with draft picks. Rams general manager Les Snead's "F* them picks" strategy led to two Super Bowl appearances and one ring from 2018 to 2021. Despite this, the Rams only moved up once in the entire 2023 draft. Indeed, they moved back twice in the third round and twice in the fifth, with their lone move up at the end of the sixth round. They have since said that they "tried" and "thought about" moving into round one last year but conversations never went anywhere.

This year, in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Rams flipped that strategy. In a new show the NFL released titled "NFL Draft: The Pick Is In". The Rams tried to trade up not once, not twice, but three times in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft. The Rams offered the New York Jets their first and second-round picks, 19 and 52, to move up to the 10th overall pick. The Jets declined, opting to swap back to 11th with the Minnesota Vikings.

The Rams upped the ante, offering the Jets 19, 52, AND one of their two third-round picks plus a sixth-round pick for the 11th overall pick. According to the Fitzgerald-Spielberger trade value chart, that package is equivalent in total value to the number-one overall pick. To say that it's a significant offer is, quite frankly, understating it and drawing into question the judgment of the Jets' front office for rejecting it.

Just after, the Rams offered a similar package to the Indianapolis Colts for the 15th overall pick, offering 19, 99, and a fifth-round pick. The Colts declined and the Rams stayed put at 19th overall, selecting Florida State pass rusher Jared Verse.

Less than 24 hours after these trades fell through, the Rams sent another trade offer in the second round. In a move that was labeled as the most expensive overpay of the last several years, the Rams moved up from 52 to 39 by sending their fifth-round pick in 2024 and second-round pick in 2025. They did this to secure Florida State defensive tackle Braden Fiske.

The Rams didn't move back once in the entire 2024 Draft. They completely flipped the script on their approach to the 2024 draft from the 2023 draft.

Coincidental contracts

Their radical shift didn't just occur in their draft process, however. Look at their deals in free agency. Darious Williams, Jonah Jackson, and Tre'Davious White are all essentially on one-year deals, White a true one-year deal, Williams and Jackson on pseudo-one-year deals with their guaranteed money.

Outside of Kevin Dotson's (who had plenty of leverage), all of these deals are effectively one-year deals or have guarantees so low they might as well be. It seems to me that all of these deals were crafted to secure the players for at least 2024, with the ability to move on if things went poorly.

The end of the 2024 season also brings Joe Noteboom's contract off the books and provides an opportunity to get out of Tyler Higbee and Rob Havenstein's contracts.

If the Rams do move on from them, the only mega deals left on the Rams' salary cap would be Cooper Kupp's, Kevin Dotson's (both of which run out of guarantees after the 2025 season)....and Matthew Stafford's.

The biggest coup de grace, in my opinion, is in Matthew Stafford's contract decision. Stafford reportedly wants reassurances that the Rams won't move on from him after this season. His 2024 salary is fully guaranteed, but he has no guaranteed money left for the remainder of his contract. The obvious answer, one that I thought would have happened right away given their stance of last year and previous years, was that he'd get a new deal fairly quickly. It has been two months and so far, no dice.

To me, this signals the Rams are thinking about their future beyond 2024. Paying him only for him to get hurt makes a bad situation already worse. Locking up any money for him in the future might take away their future if something goes wrong. The Rams didn't make any attempts at hiding their desire for a rookie quarterback in the 2024 draft, and they might be tempted to look again in the 2025 draft.

The reason the Rams signed Jimmy Garoppolo was to keep the offense afloat, if not humming if Stafford missed time. They could have stuck with Stetson Bennett or a rookie behind Stafford, but chose to bring in a capable vet who could steer the ship if Stafford was hurt. This was done likely to keep the team in contention for as long as possible.

Stafford's deal running out of guaranteed money the same year the Rams have all of these deals running out feels too coincidental to be an accident.

Full steam ahead for 2024

Why though? What was the process behind these decisions?

It is my own opinion, that the Rams might consider 2024 their "all-in" season.

If the Rams felt content to ride out the rest of Stafford's deal, maximizing their window with him through restructures and a new deal, as well as surrounding him with cheap talent through the draft, felt like the safe and obvious choice. It's a choice they haven't made yet.

Why suddenly become so aggressive and depart from the plan that had been working? Why stay so mum on Stafford's future?

All of these moves and sudden departures point to something changing in their front office. I doubt it's entirely driven by Aaron Donald's retirement, though that might have pushed their window up. Stafford is the engine that makes the whole team go, and the Rams know it. I suspect it is his deal that is the impetus behind this change.

This could end up aging incredibly poorly. Nothing is stopping the Rams and Stafford from getting a deal done in training camp and all of this winds up being a total coincidence. Their draft strategy could have entirely reflected how they felt about the 2024 class, and they'll go back to their prior strategy in a much more talented class in 2025.

I don't quite believe that, however. Retaining all of their key in-house free agents, even promoting Chris Shula to DC as their first-ever in-house coordinator hire, feels like moves made to keep as much stability from their 2023 season to go full steam all in for 2024.

There are too many signs that the Rams are gearing up to push their chips in for 2024 and see where they fall. Time will tell where the team ends up beyond that, but this could be a very different team in 2025 and 2026.
Given the three year deals they gave to Dotson and Jonah Jackson, with Avila also locked up for that period, as well as two very large and promising draft classes seems from 2023 and 2024, seems to me the Rams have their eye on a three-year window to go all in -- likely Stafford's final three years.

JYB

Starter

Um, no.

I read elsewhere that they were asking for a #6 back from the Jest, in return for #19, #52 and #99 -- not throwing in a 6th. Still a very rich deal, of course, but I think they got that wrong.

JYB

Starter
Still, thank the lord the Jets declined the offer. There's the value of the #10 pick when you still have all your other picks available and when it actually takes up half your picks in the draft.

Yes, much rather have Verse, Fiske and Kinchens than Bowers. The former fill a screaming need, while Bowers would've been a luxury on a team with an already stacked offense and some promising players already at the TE position.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Given the three year deals they gave to Dotson and Jonah Jackson, with Avila also locked up for that period, as well as two very large and promising draft classes seems from 2023 and 2024, seems to me the Rams have their eye on a three-year window to go all in -- likely Stafford's final three years.

If you go by Dotson's and Jackson's contract terms, it could be just two years.

The way those deals are structured, the Rams could get-out of both contracts with minimal cap hits.

Per OTC, if the Rams waived Dotson and Jackson after 2025, they would get $33M of salary cap relief, and incur a mere $7M in Dead-$.

Hopefully, the Rams, with Stafford, will enjoy much success in 2024 and 2025; and the Team will want to extend Dotson and Jackson further but their current deals are really two-year commitments.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I read elsewhere that they were asking for a #6 back from the Jest, in return for #19, #52 and #99 -- not throwing in a 6th. Still a very rich deal, of course, but I think they got that wrong.
Yeah, I noticed that too... the writer built his case while getting basic facts wrong.

This article reminds me of one of those "fan made" movie trailers one sees on the internet. Not a legit source, just a fan with a laptop.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is an “all in” trade proposal.

Rams Trade Pitch Lands $140 Million All-Pro to Help Matthew Stafford​

The Los Angeles Rams broke their trade habit that lasted nearly a full decade.

In taking Jared Verse with the No. 19 overall pick of the 2024 draft, the Rams made their first first-round pick since 2016, when they selected Jared Goff with the No. 1 overall pick.

It remains to be seen if the pick will pay off. However, going back to their old ways of trades sending away draft capital could help the Rams maximize their title window with 36-year-old quarterback Mattew Stafford.

They already have a stacked wide receiver room with Cooper Kupp and Puka Nacua among the top 1-2 punches in the league. But Kupp’s injury history suggests they can use reinforcements.

Las Vegas Raiders wideout Davante Adams could offer that and then some.

“The Rams admittedly don’t really need Adams,” Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport wrote on June 14. “Adding Adams to that mix would give Matthew Stafford the most dangerous trio of wide receivers in the league.

“It wouldn’t be cheap—but there’s no general manager in the NFL more willing to deal first-rounders than Les Snead.”

Rams get:

– Davante Adams

Raiders get:

– 2025 first-round pick

Adams is a six-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro selection, earning each distinction with the Raiders in 2022. However, the Raiders’ change from Derek Carr to Jimmy Garappolo and then rookie Aidan O’Connell led to a dropoff in Adams’ production.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This forum needs a Hypothetical Trades thread so articles like the one above can be posted in there.

And then I won't have to look at it and them at all.