Are the Cardinals cheaters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/16/breaking-the-fbi-is-investigating-the-cardinals-for-hacking-into-the-astros-computer-system/

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Just heard Dan Patrick talk to the NY Times reporter who "broke" the story and the FBI certainly seems to have a lot of evidence that the Cards are guilty of these accusations.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yeah, depending on how many people are involved - including on whether higher ups gave any encouragement - much of the front office could end up banned from MLB - and that's the least of their problems.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Doesn't matter, my Pirates are coming to get them either way!!!!:sneaky:

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One article I came across said that some guy in St Louis just happened to have the password for the Astros database thanks to incompetent IT contractors who did work for both teams (and didn't use different passwords). Not really a "hack", but still pretty shady. Also not something that strikes me as a massive cheating operation, but probably deserves some punishment.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One article I came across said that some guy in St Louis just happened to have the password for the Astros database thanks to incompetent IT contractors who did work for both teams (and didn't use different passwords). Not really a "hack", but still pretty shady. Also not something that strikes me as a massive cheating operation, but probably deserves some punishment.

I get what you're saying, but just because somebody made it easier for you to break federal law doesn't make it any less of a crime.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying, but just because somebody made it easier for you to break federal law doesn't make it any less of a crime.

I agree. It is a crime, and it should be punished. But the problem here is that we have blanket laws that treat terrorist hacking or bulk identity theft the same as a student guessing the teacher's password and changing the desktop background.

This certainly shouldn't be put down as a felony 15 to life in jail kind of thing. If it was, I would have been in jail as a kid because the admin was dumb enough to 1) have the password be "school" and 2) type it in in front of me. Did I use that password to allow me to install games on school computers? Hell yes. Was I a dangerous hacker? I think not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, this IS a case of a business rival stealing proprietary information and then publically releasing it to damage the rival.

It's closer to the mass ID theft than to the kid installing a game on a school computer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. It is a crime, and it should be punished. But the problem here is that we have blanket laws that treat terrorist hacking or bulk identity theft the same as a student guessing the teacher's password and changing the desktop background.

This certainly shouldn't be put down as a felony 15 to life in jail kind of thing. If it was, I would have been in jail as a kid because the admin was dumb enough to 1) have the password be "school" and 2) type it in in front of me. Did I use that password to allow me to install games on school computers? Hell yes. Was I a dangerous hacker? I think not.

And that's something for the prosecutor and judge to weigh when/if they get to that point in a trial. The term I heard being talked about was corporate espionage. I'm far from a legal expert or investigator, unless I'm watching Castle or Elementary, so I won't pretend to know the punishments or how this will play out. But from what's being reported they seem to have a couple Cardinals employees dead to rights on illegally accessing the Astros database.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Of course, this IS a case of a business rival stealing proprietary information and then publically releasing it to damage the rival.

It's closer to the mass ID theft than to the kid installing a game on a school computer.
Let's move into the realm of speaking of things you know about going forward. Guesses and accusations are Un needed you weren't there your not one of the people and your certainly not akin to any information from the fbi or the judge so relax

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's move into the realm of speaking of things you know about going forward. Guesses and accusations are Un needed you weren't there your not one of the people and your certainly not akin to any information from the fbi or the judge so relax

What started the investigation was the release of a bunch of proprietary information from the Astros, which led MLB to request an investigation. i.e., proprietary information WAS stolen and publically released - that much is public information. And the New York Times has published an article that the theft has been traced to an IP from a house where Cardinal front office staffers lived.

Before you lecture somebody, please be aware of the facts of the matter. Or at least read the posted article.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Read an updated (probably still unconfirmed) take. Now it was because Lunhow shared his password(s?) while he was with the Cards and kept the same one? That's idiocy on his part. Still, leaving an ex girlfriend with a spare key and your gate code is not a license to steal your shit. This could end up being weird.

The new articles are trying to flag this as worse than spygate+deflategate combined. On a competitive level, I'm not sold - worse than deflategate, probably. On a legal level though...well, there nay be laws that encompass this, whereas apparently the government is cool with recording anyone and everyone. I am not well versed in any laws which may exist pertaining to pressurization standards.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read an updated (probably still unconfirmed) take. Now it was because Lunhow shared his password(s?) while he was with the Cards and kept the same one? That's idiocy on his part. Still, leaving an ex girlfriend with a spare key and your gate code is not a license to steal your crap. This could end up being weird.

The new articles are trying to flag this as worse than spygate+deflategate combined. On a competitive level, I'm not sold - worse than deflategate, probably. On a legal level though...well, there nay be laws that encompass this, whereas apparently the government is cool with recording anyone and everyone. I am not well versed in any laws which may exist pertaining to pressurization standards.

Not what I've read and what the guy who broke the story with the NY Times said today. The Cardinals took the passwords Lunlow had used while he was in St Louis from their own servers. They then tried those passwords on the new system in Houston and found he used the same password in both locations. Stupid on Lunlows part but no he didn't share them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No good lousy cheating Cards. They have probably been doing this for the last 15 years. No wonder they are always good!

Ha ha busted.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not what I've read and what the guy who broke the story with the NY Times said today. The Cardinals took the passwords Lunlow had used while he was in St Louis from their own servers. They then tried those passwords on the new system in Houston and found he used the same password in both locations. Stupid on Lunlows part but no he didn't share them.

Damn internet speculation! Why can't I just get the full story right off the bat? If that's the case, the personnel tasked to dig up the passwords will be thrown under the bus, while the people who ordered it will walk. I'm probably still on the wrong interpretation of the story!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn internet speculation! Why can't I just get the full story right off the bat? If that's the case, the personnel tasked to dig up the passwords will be thrown under the bus, while the people who ordered it will walk. I'm probably still on the wrong interpretation of the story!

Found it referenced here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...s-for-hacking-astros--database-153025830.html

Law enforcement officials believe the hacking was executed by vengeful front-office employees for the Cardinals hoping to wreak havoc on the work of Jeff Luhnow ... Investigators believe Cardinals officials, concerned that Mr. Luhnow had taken their idea and proprietary baseball information to the Astros, examined a master list of passwords used by Mr. Luhnow and the other officials who had joined the Astros when they worked for the Cardinals. The Cardinals officials are believed to have used those passwords to gain access to the Astros’ network, law enforcement officials said.

Granted they say they believe it was done by vengeful front office people so they seem to be speculating who actually did it. But they also say that they took password lists by Lunlow and others he took with him from St Louis to Houston. Seems they know what they did but aren't certain which in the St Louis office actually did the deed.