Anyone have any unique cat breeds?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STLRam

UDFA
I have 2 cats and had to get my 14 year old put down about 3 weeks ago because she had liver disease. The other 2 are 19 and 16 years old, and the 19 year old is in pretty rough shape. Because both are ageing I just want to get a new kitten (maybe 2) to liven up the house.

I’ve always wanted to get a unique cat breed (not something huge and dangerous) but a bobcat was the one exotic cat I’ve always wanted to get. I don’t think it’s the best choice at this point because they’re atleast a couple thousand dollars.

I’ve been thinking about getting a Maine Coon Cat because they’re the biggest domestic breed in America, are extremely friendly around people and other animals, and have longer hair that is unique. These also go for about $1000 on average but they’re much less wild and seem to have great personalities.

Is there any unique cat breed that I’m unaware of that would be suitable for what I’m looking for?

STLRam

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, even though no one cares, I went to the local humane society and adopted 2 kittens today. One is a black and white short hair male that seems to be a sh1t disturber like my 19 year old was, and the other one is a gray and white long haired male who seems to be more mellow. I was planning on only getting 1 kitten but once I saw the long haired one I knew I wanted him and decided it would be best if he had another kitten friend to grow up with. Saved myself a few thousand dollars by not getting a unique cat breed. Maybe someday.

I’ve been wanting to get some new ‘family members’ for a few years now ever since my cats got older, and because my Dad died a week ago, I just thought it was something that I needed to do to bring a smile and happiness back to my Mom and I.

And no, I’m no crazy cat guy lol, I just prefer cats in general as they mainly take care of themselves. I have no desire to take care of a puppy for multiple hours a day and still a good amount of time as an adult.

Plus cats are fluffy and adorable. No homo. Ok, maybe homo. But seriously, no homo.

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, even though no one cares, I went to the local humane society and adopted 2 kittens today. One is a black and white short hair male that seems to be a sh1t disturber like my 19 year old was, and the other one is a gray and white long haired male who seems to be more mellow. I was planning on only getting 1 kitten but once I saw the long haired one I knew I wanted him and decided it would be best if he had another kitten friend to grow up with. Saved myself a few thousand dollars by not getting a unique cat breed. Maybe someday.

I’ve been wanting to get some new ‘family members’ for a few years now ever since my cats got older, and because my Dad died a week ago, I just thought it was something that I needed to do to bring a smile and happiness back to my Mom and I.

And no, I’m no crazy cat guy lol, I just prefer cats in general as they mainly take care of themselves. I have no desire to take care of a puppy for multiple hours a day and still a good amount of time as an adult.

Plus cats are fluffy and adorable. No homo. Ok, maybe homo. But seriously, no homo.
Sorry for your loss and you should do what ever makes you happy.

I am a dog guy myself but kudos to you for going to the shelter.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yes I have a unique breed.

Mother was feral street cat and father was Satan himself... Yes I'm calling my cat the spawn of Satan.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
We too have some unique breeds. I call them shit birds. Both are rescues and have been with us for 15 and 16 years. Love those lil fuckers. Would love a German Shepard to go with them, but we don't have the yard for it and I refuse to keep a dog like that cooped up in the house all day.

STLRam

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well boys, my 19 year old cat died last night in his sleep. He was my childhood cat that I chose myself in Kindergarten. Really odd how he died just 3 days after we got 2 new kittens. It’s almost as if he realized how bad of shape he was in and that he wasn’t happy anymore and needed to let go. Not sure how many people believe in that sort of thing, but oh well. RIP Tiger.

I had to get my 14 year old put to sleep just 3 weeks ago also because she had liver disease.

In the span of about 3 weeks, my Dad passed away from cancer and 2/3 of my childhood cats died. Its unreal how much my life has changed in such a short time. Wouldn’t wish this on my greatest enemy.

These 2 little kittens are making my Mom and I smile and laugh though, exactly what we needed.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That is a tough hand you were dealt. At least Tiger went out the easy way.

I think the kittens were a good move. They will make the new transition easier. I grew up with cats as the main pet. However when I got my first dog at around 23, I never went back to cats. Dustin was a full sized Shih Tzu. Not one of those frail little things people seem to like. He was around 20 lbs and a tough little hugger. The way he interacted and followed us around was too cool.

Last year my rescued Brittany Spaniel mix died. I am home a lot and my wife insisted on a new dog. She hates being without one. She ended up getting two. She thought it would be better for me to have some company during the day. I think she was right. We have two mini Aussies. Very devoted and protective dogs.

As for cats, I have always thought the little short eared Japanese cats were adorable. I don't know the name of the breed. My daughter wants a kitten but somewhere through the years I developed a cat allergy and can't be around them for more than fifteen minutes before I start itching.