Anybody else concerned about Quick's full recovery?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The docs said that the inside of his shoulder looked kinda like spaghetti inside. A serious injury, indeed.

His rehab is projected to be a very long one. Into camp, if not preseason.

Are the Rams worried about his recovery status? Should they be, if they're not?

Will this affect their draft and/or FA strategy?

Is it possible that WR should be up there with QB, C, and OG as prime offseason needs? That would mean 4 holes on O before we address anything on D, wouldn't it?

It is my opinion that we need 2 tall and fast WR's with good hands on the field if our O is to be able to fire on all cylinders. An extended Britt, alone, just won't do.

We only have so many premium picks, after all. Thank goodness for the expected big FA dollars. Looks like we're gonna need every one of them.

But will they be enough?

What do you guys think?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The docs said that the inside of his shoulder looked kinda like spaghetti inside. A serious injury, indeed.

His rehab is projected to be a very long one. Into camp, if not preseason.

Are the Rams worried about his recovery status? Should they be, if they're not?

Will this affect their draft and/or FA strategy?

Is it possible that WR should be up there with QB, C, and OG as prime offseason needs? That would mean 4 holes on O before we address anything on D, wouldn't it?

It is my opinion that we need 2 tall and fast WR's with good hands on the field if our O is to be able to fire on all cylinders. An extended Britt, alone, just won't do.

We only have so many premium picks, after all. Thank goodness for the expected big FA dollars. Looks like we're gonna need every one of them.

But will they be enough?

What do you guys think?

Last I heard, he would be ready to go next year.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yes I'm concerned But he should be back by start of the season and if no set backs he will be good as he will get by mid- season.
Bad injury for a WR. Can limit his range of motion and strength.
That shoulder may never be the same again.

Athos

Legend
Yes. Hopefully he's back.

But at the same time, you have to think ahead. Givens should be cut or traded, or dumped. Fill his place and provide insurance to Quick with Kevin White, Davante Parker, Jalen Strong, DGB, etc.

Tired of betting on the severely injured.

Didn't work with Bradford, Wells, Long.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I hope they give him enough time even if its missing a few regular season games. I'm not exactly sure who handles that decision but im kinda worried after Bradford looked to be not ready and the whole Saffold/Raiders thing.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm thankful it wasn't an injury to his wheels. That would be more concerning to me.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I don't expect them to trade up for a qb. Might even trade back for more picks. Hope the # 1 is a O lineman, then a qb! FA O lineman or 2 and a linebacker in the draft!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Who's the big dumb guy that went to Mizzou? He might slip, but the talent was there right? Maybe grab him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Like Selassie said i'm glad it wasn't a leg, back or knee injury, but i am a little concerned.

Quick going down was kind of an afterthought to those around the league i think because he hadn't done anything up until this season. The light of confidence came on and the production was night and day.

A healthy Quick, Britt, Cook and Bailey is a nice young core of pass catchers.

iced

As someone who has had 2 R.Shoulder surgies within 2 years, I wouldn't be worried about him as long as his work ethic is there...which by all indications, he is one of those guys.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I was a bit concerned when I first heard how bad it was however, after seeing the updates and his interview I don't think it will be a long term issue.

The first priority for WR should be to get Britt resigned and that will put an end to our needs at WR. If someone falls to them and is BPA on their board go for it, they can still upgrade at Givens spot.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I was a bit concerned when I first heard how bad it was however, after seeing the updates and his interview I don't think it will be a long term issue.

The first priority for WR should be to get Britt resigned and that will put an end to our needs at WR. If someone falls to them and is BPA on their board go for it, they can still upgrade at Givens spot.
Couldn't agree more. Wasting draft capitol on someone who may not even play is ridiculous. With Quick, Britt, Bailey, and Austin there really isn't room for another WR. If we don't resign Britt than maybe I can see WR becoming a little bit more of a need for us. But for now it really isn't.

And like you said, if it is someone they like more than anyone else available than why not. That should go for every position.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is DGB mentioned so much here?
the Rams need a top receiving talent, which DGB is, IF he can be controlled from his self destructive behavior. 6'5" 225 i think, with great hands. just doesnt think off the field.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couldn't agree more. Wasting draft capitol on someone who may not even play is ridiculous. With Quick, Britt, Bailey, and Austin there really isn't room for another WR. If we don't resign Britt than maybe I can see WR becoming a little bit more of a need for us. But for now it really isn't.

And like you said, if it is someone they like more than anyone else available than why not. That should go for every position.

Hope you're right, Jorge. I really do.

But I remember Quick saying that he thought it was just a simple dislocation at the time and that he thought they could just snap it back into place and that he could go back out on the field and play.

Since then, we've learned that there was considerable damage sustained, including at least 3 torn ligaments. The inside of his shoulder was described as looking like spaghetti. Much more damage than they at first had thought.

So we went from "just snap it back into place" to "spaghetti" by surgery's end.

I don't know the typical time frame for a shoulder rehab, but Quick is reportedly not gonna see the field before camp in July. At the earliest.

Another bit of food for thought. Typically we hear reports like "surgery went very well", "player is ahead of schedule", "doctors very pleased by progress", etc. We're not hearing those things, are we?

We're hearing that he MIGHT see the practice field by July, a full 9 months after his surgery.

We've seen what happened with J Long and Bradford after glowing reports of their respective rehabs. So color me a bit skeptical.

You'll have to pardon me if I'm a little concerned about whether Quick will actually be 100% by opening day. Quick is a big cog in our planned O for '15 and my "Spidey sense" is tingling.

We all saw the results of disappointing QB shortfall last year. I would hate to have an improperly planned WR situation for next year.

All I'm suggesting is that S/F should take all this into account and may need to elevate WR on our hierarchy of offseason needs. Maybe a top WR falls into our lap in the draft. Maybe a Britt type FA could be snagged for injury insurance.

I'm sure that S/F are miles ahead of me on this. Just trying to stimulate a little board discussion here.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I brought this up before. After Bradford's issues I believe the Rams will jump on a top WR if they are looking at one at number ten.

Parker or White should be there for the taking. I think they take one.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Hopefully he will be 100% by pre season, but just in case draft Kevin White ;-) I'm trying real hard to stay hopefull with this team but recent events have me questioning how much I should continue to invest into this team