Any TV geeks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CeeZar

Rookie
I'm thinking about finally buying a new TV. What is the absolute best 4K TV available right now - 60-65" range.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
My opinion - LG.
On my second one after lifelong Samsung guy. Btw- fuck them.
I have a 55”, and am getting a 65” soon.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have both Samsung and LG experience… I have high opinions of both.

For me, I’d start looking at those brands. Then compare.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have a Sony and an LG, both 65 inches 4K.

The LG tends to have slightly better picture in terms of the black, mine is a OLED. so since each pixel can be turned off individually true blacks simply have the pixel turned off, vs my Sony which is backlit, so it can't get a "true black". Not that it's really noticeable most of the time, but it's technically a better picture with the ability to get the true black.

I have noticed that there's a bit more of the "burn in" affect with my LG/OLED so if you plan on doing any gaming take that into account. Normal TV/movie usage you're unlikely to really have any issue, but if you game for hours you'll likely have elements from your HUD get burned in. Or if you pause a movie for an obscenely long time you could have that picture burn in. Usually it goes away after a few minutes, but I've heard stories of people having it remain permanently.

My Sony I think is better for gaming, especially since I have a PS5 so they "talk" to each other nicely. When setting up a console on the LG I had to play around with more settings to get it right vs with my Sony, all I needed to do was enable the UHD port for the 4K and I was golden, the remote for my TV even works for my playstation so it makes movies easier.

Honestly things look great on either screen though, so unless you're a real stickler for picture, you probably wont notice too much, especially without a side by side comparison.

Both TV's (IMO) need a soundbar or speaker setup if you want good quality, but that's pretty standard with modern TV's, I'm assuming it has to do with the thinness, but I'm also sure that companies are skimping on the audio quality to push consumers into getting the soundbar. Not that it's so bad without it that you can't manage or anything, but if you're looking for the home theatre experience it's worth looking into.

Any TV you get look into getting backlighting for it, makes a huge difference when watching the screen in darkness. You don't have light reflecting off the screen from behind you/facing the TV, and you don't have light in your eye from behind it. Makes it a lot easier on your eyes. If you want to get crazy fancy you can do dynamic lighting, but a cheap strip of LEDs with a remote works just as well IMO.

CeeZar

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LG OLED vs Samsung QLED vs Sony OLED - any would be the top of the line model.

I am leaning towards an OLED TV and think that the LG may have a slightly better picture than the Sony just based on spec, but that the Sony does pretty much everything else a little better. I know it gets a bit brighter than the LG which is important since OLED screens don't get as bright as LEDs. I won't game on it, so all of the things they put on these TVs to make gaming better doesn't matter. It will get a sound bar so built in sound it not a factor. It may come down to screen reflectivity - I hate glare on a TV.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Stay away from Sony TVs. They had a problem where the 55"TV model I had went green screen due to a defect of an internal component burning in. Instead of recalling the TVs Sony offered a 10% discount on your next TV. If the Sony had a defect, why would I want another one?

End of day, fuck Sony. I now have a 65" Samsung 4k OLED. I like it a lot.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had Sony's all my adult life without a problem and swapped to a Samsung about 5 or 6 years ago.

It died about 2 weeks out of warranty, but I'm sure that was just a fluke.

I went back to a Sony OLED when I moved back to the UK, but in all honesty, when I go to a friends house who have standard hi-def, there really isn't a noticeable difference

The difference between black and white and then colour was monsterous.

Colour to hi-def was pretty impressive.

Hi-def to 4K was ok presuming you could get stuff in 4k, but not jaw-dropping.

4k to 8k is really not worth the money for now, especially as so little stuff is being shot in 8k

Having said that, presuming you don't go really cheap, you'll not notice any difference after a week or two because it will still rock compared to 10 years ago. so I'd look for a deal on a Sony, Samsung or LG.

If you really want to make a significant difference, put your money into the sound system rather than the TV would be my advice.

Or may to have it custom made so that any time Tom Brady comes on your screen you can punch the prick through the screen.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stay away from Sony TVs. They had a problem where the 55"TV model I had went green screen due to a defect of an internal component burning in. Instead of recalling the TVs Sony offered a 10% discount on your next TV. If the Sony had a defect, why would I want another one?

End of day, fuck Sony. I now have a 65" Samsung 4k OLED. I like it a lot.
I have a 65" Sony OLED and it's great.

I think getting a bad TV from any of the top companies is just bad luck.

I had a Samsung crap out on me, you had a Sony do the same.

It happens.

Psycho_X

Legend
I've got two Samsungs right now and they have great pictures. My 60 inch is awesome and the smart tv function is extremely fast to load and process. The 49 inch I bought for our bedroom has a shitty processor I guess for the smart tv function. You got to turn it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes before it'll let you open an app and then it takes a while for it to load and play something. But if you use a firestick or something similar you can circumvent that problem.

Only negative about Samsungs is their speakers tend to suck ass but I think that's a flat tv issue in general just because they are so skinny and light now it's hard to put good speakers in them. So I had to buy a sound system for my main tv.

CeeZar

Rookie
I have a 65" Sony OLED and it's great.

I think getting a bad TV from any of the top companies is just bad luck.

I had a Samsung crap out on me, you had a Sony do the same.

It happens.
What model do you have?

Right now I am thinking about this one. OLED 4K TV is a $4K TV :) But I've been watching a 50" 720P Pioneer plasma for over 15 years, so I know I will get my money's worth :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What model do you have?

Right now I am thinking about this one. OLED 4K TV is a $4K TV :) But I've been watching a 50" 720P Pioneer plasma for over 15 years, so I know I will get my money's worth :)

Man... I would not spend 4 grand on a TV these days. That is soooo 2000. You can get great pictures for less than a grand. I suppose if minute differences in picture quality are that important and money is no object but....

Of course I have my 10 year old 60" Samsung and I'm still happy with the picture. How much clarity do you really need?

Im afraid my 59 year old eyes wouldn't take advantage of it anyway and it becomes like a contest to see who can piss the furthest.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man... I would not spend 4 grand on a TV these days. That is soooo 2000. You can get great pictures for less than a grand. I suppose if minute differences in picture quality are that important and money is no object but....

Of course I have my 10 year old 60" Samsung and I'm still happy with the picture. How much clarity do you really need?

Im afraid my 59 year old eyes wouldn't take advantage of it anyway and it becomes like a contest to see who can piss the furthest.
Damn, I thought I was old! You go, Methuselah!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Damn, I thought I was old! You go, Methuselah!
Fuck Off Jerry Ferrara GIF by Power

CeeZar

Rookie

I dunno. I have never regretted buying the best for something that I will use often and for a long time. I'm watching a 15+ year old 720p plasma TV now and this one will likely go for 10+ years.