Any Smokers out there?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lol I asked him for some advise. He told me to buy a cookbook. Lol he isnt giving up any pro tips. Lol youtube, pinterest and you guys. I'm gonna be the destination by friends and family soon. Ima get this shit down.
I will give advice, just not recipes. I suggested the same books to @NJRamsFan

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of the hardest parts is maintaining temp...traeger eliminates that.

1) buy a traeger
2) download their app that comes complete with a fuck ton of recipes and video how to’s
3) experiment

Easy peasy @Juggs

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any good rub ideas? Either commercial or home blends. I'm a sweet heat kinda guy.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any good rub ideas? Either commercial or home blends. I'm a sweet heat kinda guy.

I ordered this on Amazon it will be here tomorrow. I can keep you posted
897064CB-E2D3-4FCD-A7CB-5C104B939713.jpeg

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Smoked Ribs for the first time today. Did some research and made a dry rub using Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, black pepper, cumin and salt...I believe.

Smoked for about 7 hours total. Used apple juice spray every 1-2 hours. Tuned out fantastic. Need to adjust the rub a bit. It was a tad salter than I would like. I cooked the sauce on it for the last 30 minutes or so.

I'm excited to continue this journey. I had a blast watching it. I believe I may make some jerky this week on the smoker as well.

20210609_162854.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Smoked Ribs for the first time today. Did some research and made a dry rub using Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, black pepper, cumin and salt...I believe.

Smoked for about 7 hours total. Used apple juice spray every 1-2 hours. Tuned out fantastic. Need to adjust the rub a bit. It was a tad salter than I would like. I cooked the sauce on it for the last 30 minutes or so.

I'm excited to continue this journey. I had a blast watching it. I believe I may make some jerky this week on the smoker as well.

View attachment 45884
Try adding a little Turkish grind Italian roast coffee. It ads a nice earthy and deep flavor to rubs for beef and pork. I'm not a big cumin fan but like to use a little ground coriander in most of my rubs. Also onion powder gives some fullness and depth. My suggestion is to just play around some and have fun.

The rest sounds like a good mixture.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pit Boss

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Try adding a little Turkish grind Italian roast coffee. It ads a nice earthy and deep flavor to rubs for beef and pork. I'm not a big cumin fan but like to use a little ground coriander in most of my rubs. Also onion powder gives some fullness and depth. My suggestion is to just play around some and have fun.

The rest sounds like a good mixture.
I actually don't care for cumin either. But seemed like everything I saw had it, so I thought "what the hell"

I thought about adding coffee. Simply because of one of the rubs I bought from u. The coffee with the pork was fucking amazing. And I actually did have onion powder, forgot to add it on my list.

One thing I did was I used light brown sugar. And it seemed like everyone uses a dark brown sugar. Not sure the taste difference. My understanding is that dark has more molasses. But, I may get the proper BS for it next time. Also, I used sea salt instead of kosher. Is that a big taste difference?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I actually don't care for cumin either. But seemed like everything I saw had it, so I thought "what the hell"

I thought about adding coffee. Simply because of one of the rubs I bought from u. The coffee with the pork was fucking amazing. And I actually did have onion powder, forgot to add it on my list.

One thing I did was I used light brown sugar. And it seemed like everyone uses a dark brown sugar. Not sure the taste difference. My understanding is that dark has more molasses. But, I may get the proper BS for it next time. Also, I used sea salt instead of kosher. Is that a big taste difference?
I generally use dark brown sugar. It is richer and a little less sweet so just add a bit more. Good ole C&H is my go to.

Sea salt is virtually the same thing as kosher so no problem there.

CeeZar

Rookie
I've been smoking on a bullet smoker for about 10 years. Mostly pork butts but also a fair share of ribs and a few briskets. Lately I've had the urge to get a proper offset stick burner. My plan is to find a used OK Joe and give it go and see if I really want something that needs so much attention. If I like it and can turn out great Q, then I will buy something a bit more serious.

I work from home so I don't have to wait for a weekend to do long cooks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've been smoking on a bullet smoker for about 10 years. Mostly pork butts but also a fair share of ribs and a few briskets. Lately I've had the urge to get a proper offset stick burner. My plan is to find a used OK Joe and give it go and see if I really want something that needs so much attention. If I like it and can turn out great Q, then I will buy something a bit more serious.

Off sets are good. I prefer vertical unless you're doing cold/cool smoking. The vertical smokers put more smoke to the food quickly so you don't have to use as much wood/chips. You also don't tend to have as drastic of a hot vs cool section.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

This post makes me feel lazy. Mine is a pellet smoker. I set the temp and the damn thing does all the work. Lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This post makes me feel lazy. Mine is a pellet smoker. I set the temp and the damn thing does all the work. Lol
I still use mine sometimes instead of my offset.

I use it mostly for short smokes, like fish, or on weeknights.

Always had good results.

JustMe

Rookie
Name
Just Me
I had a version of that same pit boss for many years until I upgraded to the pit boss pro series.

I loved that grill but there were a few things that eventually made me upgrade.

1. Emptying the fire pot in the older versions is a real pain in the ass, which you should be doing at the minimum of every few grills. Having to remove the grates, then deflector shield, then vacuum out the pot is a real pain in the ass and you will find yourself doing it less and less. Inevitably when you dont empty the pot, pellets will over flow the pot, smoke, smolder, and combust. I had more then a few fires with that grill.

2. The igniter went bad. I replaced it, but it would always blow a fuse. I finally was able to time the popping of the fuse and the ignition stage of the pellets, and would unplug the igniter from the control panel just as the pellets started smoking. Never blew a fuse again, but that would also become a pain in the ass.

Dont cheap out on the pellets. The couple of times I had a fire, I originally chalked it up to not emptying the fire pot, the second time I am certain that it was the pellets. Pouring low quality pellets in you could see a tremendous amount of dust coming out of the bag. Started using good quality pellets and I never had a issue again.

Outside of those few issues, I loved that grill and I think you will be extremely pleased with it.