Any photographers in here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
My boss has put me in charge of finding out some info on a good camera...he is buying his lady friend a camera for Christmas. Wants the best bang for his buck...not just a name. He is looking to spend under $1,000. Any help would be awesome...also, he said something that’s well rounded, she shoots mostly stills but still likes the occasional video and likes little features.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Check out the Sony SLR one. My daughter loves hers, its a A6000 and a couple years old.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
This sort of questions always opens big debates.

I'm a hobbyist and have done a little bit of freelance work in the past.

I use Pentax cameras and have done since the film days.
When you invest in a camera, you have to imagine that you may well be investing in a system. The lenses are where the money is.

All of the major brands have good cameras.
Look into the ergonomics of the camera body and the menu system.
Most brands offer similar features at their respective price points.

Like i said, i use Pentax. I have used Canon before that, but changed to Pentax.

I recommend the Pentax KP.
It can be found under 900USD on Amazon.

You then have to decide on a lens.
That is the really hard part.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
My boss has put me in charge of finding out some info on a good camera...he is buying his lady friend a camera for Christmas. Wants the best bang for his buck...not just a name. He is looking to spend under $1,000. Any help would be awesome...also, he said something that’s well rounded, she shoots mostly stills but still likes the occasional video and likes little features.

As @IBruce80 said a lot of it is subjective as a lot of camera specs are very similar, I've been an Olympus guy since the film days, because I loved the Sigma lenses, but I've recently been considering the Canon Eos range recently and I'm also drawn to the Sony range.

It might be worth asking your boss what camera she currently has, because if she already has a few lenses then it might be worth simply upgrading the camera body that she has so that she can continue to us the lenses. It's also a good starting point for you when looking for a new camera, you don't want to suggest something which is good, but worse than what she already has.

These two articles may help:

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/buying-guides/the-best-cameras-under-1000
https://uk.pcmag.com/digital-cameras/89/the-best-digital-cameras

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well...I had no clue that lenses weren’t part of the camera! Lol I don’t think I’ve ever held a real camera in my life...I mom had a 35mm one back in the 90’s that she thought was the shit! Lol outside of that...zero dealings. I appreciate the help.

So if I’m getting this right, u buy the camera for less than $900 but you would still need lenses? Holy shit.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Juggs, you probably need to ask your boss how serious his lady friend is about photography.

My recommendation was based on getting your money worth.
You get a lot of camera for a grand these days.
If, as i expect, she may just be keen on some improved holiday/family photos from what a camera phone may offer then thought has to be given to the lens.

A so-called travel zoom might be an option.
Again, depending on the types of photography she will be doing, the lens is an important factor.
If she wants to photograph events then a longer lens may be required.
If she wants to take photos of family occasions then something like a 17-70 is an option.

Then there is the debate of prime(one fixed length, 50mm for example which doesnt zoom) or zoom lenses which cover a certain range, 17-70, 18-250, etc.

I use both zoom and prime, but favour prime lenses.

Just to buy a camera isnt quite as simple as it sounds. Especially as a gift.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Juggs, you probably need to ask your boss how serious his lady friend is about photography.

My recommendation was based on getting your money worth.
You get a lot of camera for a grand these days.
If, as i expect, she may just be keen on some improved holiday/family photos from what a camera phone may offer then thought has to be given to the lens.

A so-called travel zoom might be an option.
Again, depending on the types of photography she will be doing, the lens is an important factor.
If she wants to photograph events then a longer lens may be required.
If she wants to take photos of family occasions then something like a 17-70 is an option.

Then there is the debate of prime(one fixed length, 50mm for example which doesnt zoom) or zoom lenses which cover a certain range, 17-70, 18-250, etc.

I use both zoom and prime, but favour prime lenses.

Just to buy a camera isnt quite as simple as it sounds. Especially as a gift.

Great advice IBruce,
Love the Pentax but I shoot film. I had one in college and have never looked back or forward for that matter (boo digital)
My old Rolle is fun for a quick shot too

* But i guarantee that this gal doesn’t know anything about photography if her boyfriend is buying the camera for her with a $1000 budget.

Juggs
Why not suggest your boss get her a low end medium format camera like the USSR special edition Kiev 88 and when he gives it to her watch her head explode