Any Gun Nuts?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I am looking for someone who may be able to help me value a rifle of mine. I enjoy guns, I shoot them. But I don’t know the first thing about value. Things are getting tight and I’m considering selling one and don’t wanna get fucked.

This gun was given to me by my father in law. He bought it from spawn sharp for $150 saying they didn’t know what they had. I’m hoping it’s worth a little more.

It’s a 1944 Mauser k98 Bolt Action. It still has two of the Nazi Eagles stamped in the steel. My understanding is it makes it more valuable.

If you know anything about these. Please PM me, I’ll send pics.

CeeZar

Rookie
You've got some homework to do. There is a ton of information on the internet about WWII era Mausers. They are very collectible. But since there are so many, and many have been around the block a few times, values range quite a bit.

Like anything that old, the value will be determined by condition, rarity, and originality. Many of those old rifles that made it to the US are Russian captures and/or have been reworked with replacement stocks, etc. The good news is that with a bit (or a lot) of investigation you should be able to determine what you have.

Could be worth $400, could be worth $2000. Regardless of worth, finding the right buyer to is the key.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey Juggs. You may want to go onto GunBroker.com to see if there are any comparible rifles on auction right now.

Gun Digest has always been the go to on gun values in the past. Apparently, they have a website where you can input the info. I don't know if it's free but would probably be worth checking out.

I really think your best and most realistic means though for getting a current value is to watch an auction on a gun that looks similar to yours.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You've got some homework to do. There is a ton of information on the internet about WWII era Mausers. They are very collectible. But since there are so many, and many have been around the block a few times, values range quite a bit.

Like anything that old, the value will be determined by condition, rarity, and originality. Many of those old rifles that made it to the US are Russian captures and/or have been reworked with replacement stocks, etc. The good news is that with a bit (or a lot) of investigation you should be able to determine what you have.

Could be worth $400, could be worth $2000. Regardless of worth, finding the right buyer to is the key.

This is German. I looked them up. There is such a variety. Matching serial numbers. It was a sniper build with the post scope. I wish I had the SS I saw that between 20-30k lol no such luck. I keep it at my mother in laws. I took some pics today.
26F0B519-479D-4373-B95F-5A9F0B6A6610.jpeg
7E4C0179-9A54-421F-B8D0-D29A6FDE651F.jpeg
A5284FFA-748B-4474-900E-7CF4F813E199.jpeg
7D5C7CE0-4E60-46FA-931C-9E89E18A90B8.jpeg
8C820157-FB68-4A93-AE57-FFCEA4E6A5D1.jpeg

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Looks like it was sporterized to me. It was very common post war. Lowers the collectible value a lot. If you can show pics that it was a Wehrmacht variant then that would help the value a lot. Nazi proofs are not that rare and were used on arms made in Germany and the occupied territories. I would think a pre-war example made in Germany would be more collectible than the later occupied production. Easiest thing would be to call Hampel's of Traverse City, MI. I've bought and sold WW2 militaria over the years through them and they were extremely knowledgeable and well connected. I'm sure they could tell you what you have and a good approximate value. Good luck.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is German. I looked them up. There is such a variety. Matching serial numbers. It was a sniper build with the post scope. I wish I had the SS I saw that between 20-30k lol no such luck. I keep it at my mother in laws. I took some pics today.
View attachment 29716View attachment 29717View attachment 29718View attachment 29719View attachment 29720
BTW Juggs. I think there is a forum on gun brokers that you can get on and ask questions. If it's the forum I was on before, there are some pretty knowledgeable gun guys on there that may have a fair amount of insight on that rifle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Looks like it was sporterized to me. It was very common post war. Lowers the collectible value a lot.
Are you going by the scope rings and mounts? If so, is it possible if it was indeed a sniper piece, that those mounts bolted up to existing holes?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Looks like it was sporterized to me. It was very common post war. Lowers the collectible value a lot. If you can show pics that it was a Wehrmacht variant then that would help the value a lot. Nazi proofs are not that rare and were used on arms made in Germany and the occupied territories. I would think a pre-war example made in Germany would be more collectible than the later occupied production. Easiest thing would be to call Hampel's of Traverse City, MI. I've bought and sold WW2 militaria over the years through them and they were extremely knowledgeable and well connected. I'm sure they could tell you what you have and a good approximate value. Good luck.

This. From first glance it looks sporterized to me which basically plummets the value. Extremely common among service K98s and 1903 Springfields.

Without getting my hands on it to see it in person, feel how the action is, etc. I couldn't really give an estimation.

If it is an authentic sniper variant, you're likely looking at 1.5-4 grand, depending on the condition and buyer.

If it's sporterized you're probably looking closer to $300-$500.

Typically speaking gun shops should have someone able to give an approximate value, just call around the ones in your area and see about having someone take a look. Should be relatively easy to do.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Are you going by the scope rings and mounts? If so, is it possible if it was indeed a sniper piece, that those mounts bolted up to existing holes?

The scope itself looks like an American made civilian scope rather than a German military one. That's what makes me think sporterized personally.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The scope itself looks like an American made civilian scope rather than a German military one. That's what makes me think sporterized personally.
Yeah... I thought the screws on the rings looked pretty modern but I'm not an expert on WW2 era hardware.

My biggest concern would be if new holes were drilled.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is an American scope. It was added post-war. I was figuring between 400-650 after looking at a bunch of them for sale online. It’s a great fun, shoots amazingly straight. I use it for deer hunting.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
That certainly could be possible, as could the holes being added by a gunsmith post war. The scope and mounts look too modern, mounts in particular are too low, but I'm no expert, not even close. The stock doesn't look right (cut down) for a production sniper but again I'm nowhere near an expert. It has the look to me of a typical post war sporterized mauser.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It is an American scope. It was added post-war. I was figuring between 400-650 after looking at a bunch of them for sale online. It’s a great fun, shoots amazingly straight. I use it for deer hunting.

That's probably a good guess, especially if it's in good condition. Honestly those rifles are ones to keep for a long time. I still need to get my hands on a Garand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's probably a good guess, especially if it's in good condition. Honestly those rifles are ones to keep for a long time. I still need to get my hands on a Garand.
Great old gun. I've shot a couple at the range. I have an M1 30 and it's fun to shoot and all, but it's no Garand. I couldn't believe how the two Garands I shot were so dead on at 100 yards. I have to admit that I rely pretty heavily on optics on my rifles so I'm not very practiced on peeps or open sights anymore. Those things were simply intuitive in feel and function.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The stock doesn't look right (cut down) for a production sniper
Yeah... I have to agree. The fore end and top piece seems to have been removed and the front of the stock reshaped.

Hey @Juggs . If you like shooting it and you hunt at all, I'd try to keep it. Finding good shooters in that price range is anything but a given. And the Mauser action is a real work of art.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Garand is fun to shoot but M1 Thumb isn't. Why the enbloc clip?:palm: I guess no spring, less metal, one less place for mud to foul the action. Definitely get one because they are fun but always think of the thumb.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Garand is fun to shoot but M1 Thumb isn't. Why the enbloc clip?:palm: I guess no spring, less metal, one less place for mud to foul the action. Definitely get one because they are fun but always think of the thumb.

I'm not worried about that, it's the same thing with the SCAR, when we first got our hands on em in the Army a few guys got SCAR thumb because of the way they gripped the rifle, didn't take long to adjust. I've shot a few Garands and so far have been able to watch my thumb, but if it happens it happens. There's worse ways to get injured via firearm!