Andrew Whitworth glad to be back, excited for opportunity on Saturday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Andrew Whitworth glad to be back, excited for opportunity on Saturday

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Wide receiver Robert Woods noticed a new but familiar voice during Wednesday's practice as the Rams offense was going through team drills.

The possibility of having offensive lineman Andrew Whitworth back for Saturday's Wild Card playoff game against the Seahawks alone was "huge," Woods said, because of his play, ability to anchor the left tackle position and be involved in the run game. However, even just his presence at practice already felt like a difference-maker.

"Hearing his voice in the huddle, first snap, being the leader, pushing the tempo for our offense, it was kind of refreshing to hear him in the huddle, and hearing that tempo and that urge to pick up that pace, having someone else push and get this train, get this offense rolling," Woods said during a video conference Wednesday.

Whitworth's strength and determination have him on schedule to return on Saturday, in what was the target week for him to do so. Despite tearing his MCL and PCL in Week 10 against the Seahawks, he managed to recover after missing seven games and put himself in position to play – and potentially return to the starting lineup – at the beginning of postseason play.

"It's been a lot of work to get back (and) ups and downs, obviously, anytime you're injured, but it feels good now," Whitworth said during a video conference Wednesday. "I feel confident and I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

That recovery process was "a grind," according to Whitworth. It included collecting and applying various pieces of medical equipment at home and later pregame workouts at SoFi Stadium.

Whitworth said the MCL and PCL "are your best stability ligaments." Rehabilitation involved evaluating multiple key indicators of progress as a result.

"Trying to figure out stability-wise, what you're feeling, and then function-wise, what seems a little bit weaker or what if you're off-balance, or if you feel different when you do certain movements, whether it's going forwards, backwards or side-to-side, and really where that pain or discomfort or balance is coming from where you feel a little off-balance," Whitworth said.

Whitworth also said healing is one of the most important aspects of the process, because if the ligaments aren't healing back stronger, it's not going to allow you to play.

"It's kind of a combination of developing the muscles back and working your butt off that way, but also really doing as much as you can to make sure there's healing going on and that process is keeping up with all the other things that you're doing," he said.

While the 15-year veteran feels ready to go get out on the field and play Saturday, he also acknowledges there are still "boxes to check" before that officially happens.

One of those boxes is getting through a week practicing and doing all the things necessary to prepare to play, something that has been "hard" to do because of the COVID-19 protocols and restrictions. For example, he said he "would've loved to had an opportunity before the game" to get some reps if someone was inactive, but those protocols don't allow a player to do that. Thus, his only chance to check that box is by returning to practice, which he did just last week.

"There's some boxes to check off and still to make sure you can do everything, and then to see how it responds (Thursday) from practicing (Wednesday), and the next day from practicing (Thursday)," Whitworth said. "So obviously it's not like they're big hurdles, but they're hurdles to get through. Right now, everything feels great and we're still on board."

Whitworth was activated to the 53-man roster on Thursday, and Rams head coach Sean McVay also said Wednesday "there's a good chance" of Whitworth starting on Saturday "if he's able to go," and that Whitworth was a full participant in Wednesday's practice. McVay said he doesn't expect any setbacks after talking to Whitworth on Thursday and that Whitworth "is feeling good."

"We will take it a day at a time, but if he's feeling good and the practice reflects what we're hopeful and what we anticipate, then we'll expect to see Andrew out there," McVay said Wednesday.

Rams defensive lineman and fellow team captain Aaron Donald knows how valuable Whitworth's leadership and presence is to the team.

"You get a veteran guy that's been playing this game a long time, and he's a leader," Donald said. "If you can get him on the field playing, that's definitely a plus for us. As long as he's healthy and he feels good, I know he's going to go out there and he's going to dominate."

Whitworth admitted that once he takes the field, it will likely be an emotional experience.

"As I told some of my friends, I'm gonna do my best to not cry for the whole first half, because I'm gonna be emotional," he said. "But you know, it's one of those things, man, I can't wait. I can't wait for the opportunity to get out there, just to be with everybody and let it all hang out and see what happens."

oldnotdead

Legend
How much is actually left in his tank? His age was clearly evident this season. Though overall he played well, his level of play clearly has dropped, particularly against strength and speed.

With Joe having back issues, Andrew's timing couldn't be better. If he shows his play is still solid during this playoff run then I could easily see Whitworth at LT and Noteboom at RT next year. Edwards should then move to swing OT for one year with Corbett returning to LG and Evans moving into RG.

Bottom line is that this o-line has long-term talent if they simply get rid of the marginal players like Havenstein and Blythe.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Gonna be nice to see our LT running down field looking for someone to destroy again. Noteboom has been pretty much worthless in the run game.

jap

Legend
There is no Battering Ram OL without the resident Anchor at LT. Let's see if Jared can return so Whit can lead the charge to SuperBowl glory!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know how much Big Whit has in the tank. But I'm certainly glad he's back. Sure seemed like the run game regressed after he went down.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Big Whit and AD deserve a Super Bowl so badly. It’s not often that any player sniffs a Super Bowl, let alone wins one. Going back this year for the win would be heavenly and the opportunity should never be taken for granted, “for we may never pass this way again.”

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
It could be a blessing in disguise he was hurt. He is too old to be playing a full season and playoffs.

This way he got to rest.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not as excited as I am about him coming back -lol.

And I hope he comes back for another year. However, after this injury, I'm sure he will discuss this with his family during the off-season, even if he has indicated he'd like to be back.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
You Go Whit.

Some say you're too old for this that,you've slowed down etc etc, I say you're the Biggest Freak/Greatest Athlete to Play the Game at your age,Ever.

3rd in Pass blocking,9th in Run and 39 ,WTF, that's Greatness.

Go Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gonna be nice to see our LT running down field looking for someone to destroy again. Noteboom has been pretty much worthless in the run game.

Don’t know what games you’ve been watching? I’d say Corbett has been the weak link. ;-)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams win the Super Bowl, Big Whit will retire, IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both Big Whit and AD deserve a Super Bowl so badly.
They deserve it if they lead this team to wins over Green Bay and then the NFC Championship game. NFL is a meritocracy, and a meritocracy that revolves around your strength at 11 players. So we'll see if the vets on this team can get these other guys playing at a level high enough to get it done.