Andre Johnson wants out of Houston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
Aside from how most of use feel about the difference in 9 million and 10 million, I think Andre is right--especially considering all of the restructuring he's done over the years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Man I wish the Rams would do this, but it's not their style. Besides, we got a log-jam already.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Can you imagine a 3 receiver and a tight end line up like this..

Quick (6ft'5)
Britt (6ft'3)
Johnson (6ft'3)
Cook (6ft'5)

Bloody hell, that would be crazy

wrstdude

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quick (6ft'5)
Britt (6ft'3)
Johnson (6ft'3)
Cook (6ft'5)

It's basically Chicago. Would love that lineup.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Would love to have him.....but I doubt we are 1 of the 4 teams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...teams-interested-in-trading-for-andre-johnson

Before OTAs and minicamp, star wide receiver Andre Johnson told the Houston Texans he had heard enough from the new staff and coach Bill O'Brien to make him want to show up and join the team. He told them of his plans to be there for offseason workouts, despite missing the early portion of it. The question revolved around his $1 million bonus for attending workouts.

Though Johnson had missed some of the sessions, he wanted to earn his money back by working out extra, allowing him to receive the money.

The Texans told him no, per two sources informed of the situation.

That furthered the divide between Johnson and the Texans, driving a wedge between the parties. That caused Johnson to tell them he wanted to play for another team. He is now working out, "not thinking about the Texans," a source said.

The Texans have not yet been willing to trade him.

As he has expressed publicly, Johnson believes the team is rebuilding, and he has said he has doubts about if he wants to take part in another similar process, as he has several times in his career.

Johnson has also restructured his contract in each of the past three years at the team's behest, and he wants the same goodwill from the Texans regarding his $1 million roster bonus that he could earn Week 1 if he participates in offseason workouts and fulfills his contract.

The Texans declined to comment on the story, and Johnson's agent Kennard McGuire did not return a call for comment. Johnson told NFL Media on Wednesday that he didn't know if he'll be with the Texans on Week 1. Asked if he'd be at camp, Johnson said "hopefully" but he didn't know for sure.

Johnson is set to earn $10 million this year, not including his workout bonus.

The Texans have resisted his request for a trade thus far, though four teams have expressed interest. Meanwhile, one veteran Texans player said while the team wants Johnson to play with them in 2014, they've also told him from a business sense, "Stick to your guns."

One possible option for the team to resolve this standoff (if they refuse to trade him) is to guarantee he's on the roster for 2015. That might bring Johnson back. They also could simply decide to pay him his $1 million bonus. Or, they could stand their ground and he'll play for no one in 2014.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Taking a look at the teams that would, could, should be interested in Andre Johnson
Posted by Mike Florio on July 10, 2014

x610-14-e1344276530980.jpg
AP

When reports link a player to multiple unnamed teams, there’s a good chance there aren’t as many unnamed teams as reported. Or any.

But let’s suspend disbelief for now and assume at least four NFL franchise would be interested in giving up one or more draft picks for a 33-year-old receiver due to make $10 million this year and $11.5 million in 2015. Who would, could, should those teams be?

The Browns.

Johnson knows the Kyle Shanahan offense, and the Browns will lack a true No. 1 wideout, if/when (when) Josh Gordon receives his latest suspension. They also have a first-round pick to spare in 2015, thanks to the Sammy Watkins trade. (Whether Johnson is worth a first-round pick in 2015 is a different issue, on par with whether he’s worth $20.5 million over the next two years.)

The Ravens.

Baltimore has plenty of pass-catchers, but they don’t seem to be thrilled with the group as a whole. With former Texans coach Gary Kubiak now coordinating the Baltimore offense, Kubiak could be making the case for making the move. But they’d probably have to be willing to ship someone like Torrey Smith to Houston in order to get Johnson — and that probably wouldn’t be a good idea.

The Falcons.

How about a straight-up trade of Andre Johnson for Roddy White? While it’s debatable whether White and Julio Jones provide the best one-two punch at receiver in the NFL, Johnson and Jones would definitely push the Falcons to the top of the league. The possibility has to at least be tempting for G.M. Thomas Dimitroff, who seems to be trying to strike the right balance between the goal of building for the long haul with the importance of trying to win now.

The Patriots.

They definitely need a clear-cut No. 1 receiver. And before anyone says it would be out of character for the Patriots to make a move for Johnson, would it really be? They’ve traded in past years for guys like Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Albert Haynesworth. The question would be whether the Pats can do a deal that they believe to be a good deal for the Patriots. If the trade package includes quarterback Ryan Mallett, who will undoubtedly leave via free agency in 2015, it could be a win for everyone.

The Panthers.

They clearly need a good pass-catcher. But it wouldn’t be easy to muster the cap space.

The Chargers.

Pairing Johnson with Keenan Allen would give Philip Rivers the kind of weapons he needs to get the most out of the back nine of his NFL career.

The Chiefs.

We’ve previously heard they’d be interested in trading for Johnson, but the price would have to be right. Maybe they’d be willing to ship Dwayne Bowe to Houston, but the cap consequences could be untenable.

The Rams.

They’ve invested plenty of draft picks in recent years to the receiver position. Why not devote a couple of future selection for a guy who would help get the most out of quarterback Sam Bradford? With Johnson and Tavon Austin and a smattering of players that inevitably has to include a guy or two who will step up (Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey, etc.), the Rams could be ready to make a serious run at the top of the division — especially with a defense that is on the verge of being one of the best in the league.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I know Andre's a physical specimen, and he's kept himself in great shape, and a nice year last year with the QB meltdown...

But I wouldn't want to mess around with a 33 year old wide out changing teams. Too much tread on the tires.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I have never been a cheerleader for people that don't honor their word. Nobody forced him to sign that monster contract. I would not only pass on a trade, I would take him off of the radar forever.

I am a big fan of character in people. You can be a knucklehead, but most of the time even knuckleheads have honor. Andre is dead to me!

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Quick (6ft'5)
Britt (6ft'3)
Johnson (6ft'3)
Cook (6ft'5)

Hell, go ahead and take the RB off the field and let Tavon run underneath with all those giants over the top.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Andre's a physical specimen, and he's kept himself in great shape, and a nice year last year with the QB meltdown...

But I wouldn't want to mess around with a 33 year old wide out changing teams. Too much tread on the tires.

Wow! Is he that old? Man, time flies... I agree... not much left on those tires.

RamBill

Legend

Andre Johnson, Texans face salary cap hurdle for trade

By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rdle-for-trade?campaign=Twitter_atl_wesseling

Now that Andre Johnson is questioning his future in Houston, fans around the league are wondering if their team might strike up trade talks with the Texans.

After much spirited discussion factoring in talent, age, injury history, demonstrated production and salary, the Around The League crew has tentatively placed Johnson's trade value at a second-round draft pick.

A seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver himself, Johnson is at the same age as future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez when the Falcons acquired the tight end for a second-round pick in 2009. Atlanta never regretted that trade.

Although there are Texans fans who believe the franchise icon deserves to be set free to join a contender, we remain skeptical that the team's brass will be motivated enough to pull the trigger unless Johnson turns himself into a nuisance of Eagles-era Terrell Owens proportions.

If the Texans were inclined to field offers for the NFL's second-most productive wide receiver over the past two seasons, salary cap repercussions still present a formidable hurdle.

A Johnson trade would leave $11.96 million in dead money against the Texans' 2014 cap, per NFL Media's Albert Breer. Perhaps just as prohibitive, a prospective suitor would need the space to absorb Johnson's monstrous contract.

The receiver-needy Browns are one of the few teams capable of meeting that qualification, but that would hardly satisfy Johnson's desire to join an instant contender.

It's going to be quite challenging to find a match that suits the Texans' need for fair compensation, Johnson's wishes and the third party's cap situation.

For those reasons, we believe Johnson will be catching passes in new coach Bill O'Brien's offense come September.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I have never been a cheerleader for people that don't honor their word. Nobody forced him to sign that monster contract. I would not only pass on a trade, I would take him off of the radar forever.

I am a big fan of character in people. You can be a knucklehead, but most of the time even knuckleheads have honor. Andre is dead to me!
I don't know... I really don't see NFL contracts as anyone's WORD because the team can end them at any time.

Now if they were fully guaranteed and Johnson was just refusing to play, yeah, that'd be different.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't know... I really don't see NFL contracts as anyone's WORD because the team can end them at any time.

Now if they were fully guaranteed and Johnson was just refusing to play, yeah, that'd be different.
Yeah, does he even have a no trade clause? No commitment there, Texans could have traded him at any time they wanted if not.

ramaslama

rams dont need him. The need the money for the exspired contracts to resign players and keep Fearsome foursome togethar

MauiRam

Rookie
The Rams are building through the draft, and for the most part spent wisely in FA. I can't see any upside in taking away reps from our young receivers by bringing in a vet who is in the twilight of his career. I believe we should stick to the plan, and give our young receivers as many reps as possible that they may continue developing their skills, while garnering real game experience. I like the addition of Kenny Britt, it will be interesting to add up Kenny's stats at the end of the season as compared to Andre's wherever he ends up playing. My two cents ..