An Example of an Offensive play and the different ways it can be called.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
On the heels of the discussion in another thread, I thought this might be an interesting example of why terminology is the key to any play book.

Here is an example of a pass play that the 2000 Rams used quite a bit. Notice the different terminology in the different smaller boxes. Same PLAY, but different looks, and formations all dictated by the terminology.

338-6b947f9b58.jpg

Notice the "Notes, Protections and the different motions that can all be part of this ONE PLAY based on how its called in the huddle. Just by changing a single word or phrase, it changes the formation, motion, and in some cases the actual routes being run, all within the same play.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Martz was a genius at getting matchups which allowed our offense to take advantage of the defense. While this was essentially the same play. each different set (or motion...) puts pressure on a different defensive position, thus giving the play a different look.
Thanks for sharing. it's a great example.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I couldn't agree more with how Martz could stress a defense.

The other thing I enjoy about these sort of things, just try reading the actual verbiage out loud, and you get a better understanding of how difficult learning all the different terminologies of an NFL playbook would be. This is just one example of a basic pass play, but "Jack right, zip ace right, hot 940 F arrow / swing" is a mouthful.......

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Defintely put an emphasis on diction.......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If X is Torry Holt, I'm just throwing there unless the defense is shadowing him. And even then I probably would. Otherwise I'll just hit Hakim (the y) 14 yards deep provided the protection lets me plant on a 7-step drop. And having Marshall as the swing hot read is never a bad thing in any universe.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
If X is Torry Holt, I'm just throwing there unless the defense is shadowing him. And even then I probably would. Otherwise I'll just hit Hakim (the y) 14 yards deep provided the protection lets me plant on a 7-step drop. And having Marshall as the swing hot read is never a bad thing in any universe.

This play more often than not went to Marshall on the swing. It isolates him on the open side of the field, against what would be an over matched LB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This play more often than not went to Marshall on the swing. It isolates him on the open side of the field, against what would be an over matched LB.
Yeah, especially since Bruce is drawing coverage away from the play.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Wow a 7 step drop designed to go the the rb.
Bruse, Holt and Hakim taking the secondary to the left of the field, leaving safety and lb to cover Faulk

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I noticed that in the drawings too, he is going the other way from the flow every time........not good for a defense lol.......especially the way Warner could throw that short pass that just fell in Faulks shirt pocket as he was turning upfield.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I couldn't agree more with how Martz could stress a defense.

The other thing I enjoy about these sort of things, just try reading the actual verbiage out loud, and you get a better understanding of how difficult learning all the different terminologies of an NFL playbook would be. This is just one example of a basic pass play, but "Jack right, zip ace right, hot 940 F arrow / swing" is a mouthful.......
Great post, and another thing to note, if anyone is interested, is that the QB has to know what everyone is doing on every play. A lineman for instance, just has to listen to the protections in some cases, and receivers might have to only listen to their specific call in the huddle after the formation is specified, but that call could be a read option, or a hot read, depending on how the defense lines up, or if there is a blitz coming from their cover guy. The QB has to know what everyone is doing on EVERY play.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Great post, and another thing to note, if anyone is interested, is that the QB has to know what everyone is doing on every play. A lineman for instance, just has to listen to the protections in some cases, and receivers might have to only listen to their specific call in the huddle after the formation is specified, but that call could be a read option, or a hot read, depending on how the defense lines up, or if there is a blitz coming from their cover guy. The QB has to know what everyone is doing on EVERY play.

If you take some time to browse thru the playbook, (click the link) you will see an entire section on DEFENSES, from the types of coverages, blitzes, etc. All these are part of what the OFFENSE has to learn and understand so they can all be on the same page.

The days of just hearing a play called in the huddle, and then saying this is what i need to do no matter what are over. Formations, motion, coverages, hot reads..... all 11 guys have to see the same thing and know what they are supposed to do.