Amendola Happy to be Back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 8a3dfecbf0

Amendola_Feature_420_310.jpg

Danny Amendola has faced plenty of adversity in his many years playing football but never has that adversity extended to his health and well-being.

Never, that is, until last year when Amendola suffered the first serious injury of his football career when he went down with a torn triceps in the season opener against Philadelphia.

The injury ended Amendola’s season before it ever really got started and by his own admission had him down in the dumps.

“It was really, really hard,” Amendola said. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do so far in my career and my whole life, really. It was the first time I ever missed a practice, first time I ever missed a game and I ended up missing the whole season. It was really hard.”

Ever the optimist, Amendola tried to find things to do to stay in shape and stay sharp mentally. If he couldn’t improve on the field physically, he wanted to find ways to get better at the mental side of the game.

“There were a couple of positive things,” Amendola said. “I got to get in the film room and try to study a lot more just the game and how to play. I got better that way.”

But nothing Amendola did could compare to the feeling of being on the field playing the game he loves, a feeling that came rushing back to him over the past two days as the Rams stepped on the field for their voluntary minicamp.

Amendola was back on the practice fields at Rams Park, running routes, catching passes and generally enjoying the game again.

“I was excited,” Amendola said. “I have to get used to it a little bit. I know we weren’t full speed today but it was fast and it felt fast. I have to get used to playing again. I’m just looking forward to the next one.”

Soon after having the procedure that ended his season, Amendola set out to get healthy again. He attacked a vigorous rehab program with childlike abandon and hasn’t allowed himself to focus on much of anything else.

Even all the changes that have occurred at Rams Park in the offseason haven’t really fazed Amendola. He didn’t even get a chance to chat with new coach Jeff Fisher about his rehab.

“I did my rehab since the season ended,” Amendola said. “That’s really all I’ve been doing. I really haven’t talked to him about it. I’m just really ready to get back on the field. I just want to win every game. First I want to establish a role on the team and fulfill that the best I can and help the Rams win football games. That’s what I am going to do.”

Amendola had certainly established his role in a breakout 2010 season when he led the Rams in receiving and emerged as quarterback Sam Bradford’s favorite target. He figured to expand on that role last year but the triceps injury set back that progress.

Now, Amendola is back to square one a bit as he joins his teammates in learning a third offense in three years, this time one helmed by new coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Not that any of that bothers Amendola, who said he doesn’t plan to be satisfied until he’s as good a receiver as you’ll find in the NFL.

“I want to be the best I can be,” Amendola said. “That’s really all I can ask for. I know that a cliché response but that’s all I can try to do and control. I am just trying to get better every day.”

Amendola is a restricted free agent whom the Rams tendered at the second-round level in the offseason but the deadline for teams to make offers on restricted free agents is expected to come and go tomorrow without an outside offer.

Most likely, Amendola will sign his one-year tender with the Rams, get back to work and give all he can to prove he’s worthy of a more long-term extension next offseason.

In the meantime, Amendola figures to slide back into his old role as the team’s primary slot receiver and possibly do some punt returning on the side. There has been plenty of chatter about the Rams’ drafting a receiver or two in next week’s NFL Draft but Amendola doesn’t concern himself with things out of his control.

“I don’t really care,” Amendola said. “That doesn’t affect me. That doesn’t affect the way I come to work. It doesn’t affect how I perform so I am just going to come to work and try to get better every day.”

steferfootball

Starter
“It was really, really hard,” Amendola said. “It was the hardest thing I’ve had to do so far in my career and my whole life, really. It was the first time I ever missed a practice, first time I ever missed a game and I ended up missing the whole season. It was really hard.”

I love that dood. Never missed a practice. <3 danny

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
:bn: :bn: :bn: :7up:

But yeah - he's that guy you really want to rout for.

I wonder if Shurmur ever inquired about Danny. I look for him to be Sam's #1 safety valve this year too. We all know he will be ready to contribute every week as long as another freak injury doesn't hit him.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:

I wonder if Shurmur ever inquired about Danny. I look for him to be Sam's #1 safety valve this year too. We all know he will be ready to contribute every week.
I fixed your last sentence.

And I like to root for him too. :mrgreen:

steferfootball

Starter
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:

I wonder if Shurmur ever inquired about Danny. I look for him to be Sam's #1 safety valve this year too. We all know he will be ready to contribute every week.

No, I think he meant rout. As in to blow out the other team. I want the Rams to blow out their opponents for danny too 503.

Also, I didn't mean to brown nose (tbh, I'm not really sure what I did :lol: ). I've been using the word dood since it was unpopular to do so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:

No, I think he meant rout. As in to blow out the other team. I want the Rams to blow out their opponents for danny too 503.

Also, I didn't mean to brown nose (tbh, I'm not really sure what I did :lol: ). I've been using the word dood since it was unpopular to do so.

First off - y'awlz needs to look up ROUT before trying to correct me. Rout - a disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons acting together in a manner that suggests an intention to riot, although they do not actually carry out the intention. A disorderly crowd of people; a mob Obviously you haven't seen me and my buds on game day. :sly:

Second of all, I was poking fun because apparently I had the audacity to call someone besides Paul "Dude" and he flicked me shit. I thought you were trying to dance around calling someone "Dude" to prevent catching his ire - y'know... brown nosing. :bign: Cuz you know... everyone should fear X's ire. After all, his ire can be nothing short of... ah hell... I got nuthin'. Anyway, didn't know you regularly use the word dood. I will cease in my accusatory behavior. :7up:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And in other news, Amendola is happy.

droopy-dog_pictures_fun_weird_interesting_19173595.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And I'm happy that he's happy. Happy in Horns!

steferfootball

Starter
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:

First off - y'awlz needs to look up ROUT before trying to correct me. Rout - a disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons acting together in a manner that suggests an intention to riot, although they do not actually carry out the intention. A disorderly crowd of people; a mob Obviously you haven't seen me and my buds on game day. :sly:

Second of all, I was poking fun because apparently I had the audacity to call someone besides Paul "Dude" and he flicked me shyte. I thought you were trying to dance around calling someone "Dude" to prevent catching his ire - y'know... brown nosing. :bign: Cuz you know... everyone should fear X's ire. After all, his ire can be nothing short of... ah hell... I got nuthin'. Anyway, didn't know you regularly use the word dood. I will cease in my accusatory behavior. :7up:
It is worth noting that 'dood' is pronounced as in 'good', not 'food'. So there really is no way 'dood' and 'dude' could possibly be related.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And now this thread has lost all relevance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

STL-Rams

Starter
X, love how you have been posting Rams related audio here! Simply awesome! Thanks on behalf of many ! :) Hope all is going well with you !

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
And now this thread has lost all relevance.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

It's like the PD without bile. :bign:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
STL-Rams said:
X, love how you have been posting Rams related audio here! Simply awesome! Thanks on behalf of many ! :) Hope all is going well with you !
No problem, Shane. Glad you're enjoying it. Oh, and added your personal website link in the margin over there.
<--------------------

You don't have to reciprocate. We're already the notorious R.O.D. :cool: