Am I the Only One Who Thinks Van Jefferson Will be Special?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From everything I’ve been reading our boy Van is being discussed as an afterthought around here. Essentially, a guy who only offers what Kupp and Woods do, just to a lesser extent. I for one was very encouraged by what I saw from Van in an admittedly small sample size last year. It felt like every time he touched the football I thought to myself “that doesn’t look like a rookie”. He just has a polished smoothness to his game that I don’t see often out of rookies. His routes are CRISP and his body control is of a seasoned vet. I truly believe he will develop into a number 1 WR. Keep in mind not every number 1 WR is DeAndre Hopkins dominant and that’s not the future I am predicting for him. I think he simply got caught behind a deep WR group as a rookie and we had a limited passing game last year. I expect big things from him in the next few years and for him to eventually make either Kupp/Woods a trade asset.

View: https://youtu.be/wf2ci0q6F-w

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Yes! A wasted pick last year should have gotten a speed we last year if you wanted a wr. gated the pick then and hate the pick still. He had no production at Florida in 5 years worth a #2 pick

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Personally, I think we will go back to a lot of 11 with completely different plays run from the same "disguise".
I actually expect us to use 10 a lot more than in the past. Which isn’t really saying much because it’s ran so little in the NFL in general that anything would be a huge uptick. But idk I’m just saying McVay kinda bucked the trend and essentially made 11 personnel the new base formation in the NFL. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him trying to be innovative again and running 4 WR a good amount especially with our wideouts

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If they do rotate Van in this year it seems most likely to be at Woods spot. But shouldn’t it be at Kupps spot?
At 28 and 29 the receivers are approaching age that maybe McVay wants to reduce their snaps to keep them fresh for the playoffs.
That's something that has not been done in the past with Kupp at any time.

I'll start with I think Jackson plays way more than 4-6 games. I initially thought he would play about 35-40% of the snaps

That's 5 games more than I was thinking Jackson would play.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
yeah i watched his senior bowl high lights an was convinced he was bruce reincarnated but after last year i still have high hopes but taking a more wait and see approach.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I hear ya but I think McVay was obsessed with Brandon Cooks skill set and what it does for our offense. Remember the clips of him getting giddy watching Cooks in practice? I think that is an entirely different type of WR and I also don’t believe we wanted to put all our eggs in the Djax basket. I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think the moves made this year at WR are indicative of a lack of trust in Van, just moves to add a missing piece to our offense. The others after tutu I don’t put much stock in.
Yeah, totally spot on re. McVay being obsessed with the "burner" WR in his offense. Still remember when McVay went nuts after Cooks caught his first bomb in practice.

IMHO McVay absolutely hated how he was forced into the "dink and dunk" offense in 2019. From now on, I wouldn't be surprised if McVay always keeps TWO "burner" WRs (to guard against injury) because he thinks the deep threat is so important.

Kupp, Woods, and (potentially) Van are all great receivers, but McVay will always make sure to have that "burner". No WR in 2019 emerged to fill that role.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I think you’re taking special to mean Aaron Donald special which I tried to make clear in the OP is not the level I’m projecting. I even said “remember not every number 1 WR is DeAndre Hopkins dominant and that’s not the future I’m predicting for him”

I very clearly don’t mean generational talent special. I do however think he can be the best of our stacked WR room
What I saw in Van was a player who looked like he could become better than Reynolds, but maybe not develop into a guy on par with Kupp and Woods.

Having said that, I agree that WR's show lots of improvement between years one and two, so I'll be eager to see how Van looks in preseason.

For whatever reason, Van as a rookie couldn't beat out Reynolds for playing time last year. But I'm looking forward to seeing Van as a vet.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I think has the making of a #1 WR. This year and going into next year are crucial for his development. He needs to earn playing time. Reynolds got a bunch of snaps, he just never took the next step to consistency.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
yeah i watched his senior bowl high lights an was convinced he was bruce reincarnated but after last year i still have high hopes but taking a more wait and see approach.
I don't know about an Isaac Bruce comparison but it may make you feel good to note that Bruce had 21 receptions as a rookie ... compared to Jefferson's nineteen.

Bruce then had 119 catches in his 2nd season. I don't think we should expect that.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
As to down numbers for Woods and Kupp and paltry numbers for Jefferson in ‘20?

Let’s don’t overlook the obvious. Goff was the common denominator and the weak link in our passing attack last year.

And that problem has definitely been addressed. I think we’re gonna see a scintillating year for our various receivers.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm a big Van supporter and expect a good career from him. I think his stats in 2021 will be largely dependent on injuries to other players though. He'll still get his plays and be a useful member of the offense but if Djax, Woods, and Kupp all stay healthy for the whole year he'll be fighting for plays with the rookies who make the team probably. But having depth isn't a bad thing. I think he'll be a starter for us in 2022 though.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a big Van supporter and expect a good career from him. I think his stats in 2021 will be largely dependent on injuries to other players though. He'll still get his plays and be a useful member of the offense but if Djax, Woods, and Kupp all stay healthy for the whole year he'll be fighting for plays with the rookies who make the team probably. But having depth isn't a bad thing. I think he'll be a starter for us in 2022 though.
This is very similar to what I Had in mind in this post.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is very similar to what I Had in mind in this post.

If you go back to what Mcvay said in December about Van Jefferson then you can see the confidence on the coaches side of it.Then he starts to get more playing time.Van Jefferson against Green Bay showed such a veteran presence about him. He was no longer a rookie.The hook & ladder with Cam Akers for 2Points was a thing of beauty.
Josh Reynolds missing the pass right in his hands basically cost The Rams a chance on the road to win.Van Jefferson looks the ball into his hands,makes sure he knows where he is on the field.I saw 2 replays get over turned into catches.His knowledge of the game is special.
Reynolds is gone & those young players were brought in show Van Jefferson does not need to play special teams(Kupp as well) on coverage. The last thing I wanted to see last year was for Van to get hurt out there.He made plays,but that all about talent & hustle.You can’t have him giving up his body.That is not the player he is. —Mcvay held Van Jefferson under wraps in 2020.Josh Reynolds was in there in hope The Rams could get a Good Comp pick & preserve Jefferson.I know he was pissed & frustrated at times.Especially when Reynolds missed catches or a blocking assignment.
I actually think after watching the Green Bay game Van Jefferson will be a #1/2 WR.Hard call as of right now though to give out numbers of catches.I’ll say he has over 65 in 2021.
That’s my opinion

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As to down numbers for Woods and Kupp and paltry numbers for Jefferson in ‘20?

Let’s don’t overlook the obvious. Goff was the common denominator and the weak link in our passing attack last year.

And that problem has definitely been addressed. I think we’re gonna see a scintillating year for our various receivers.

I don’t see how Copper Kupp is going to have better stats than some of his past seasons.He should be in a certain range. There will be a lot that goes into those numbers.adding another game will play into it.Then Mcvay is going to reduce Copper Kupp’s reps & playing time. Then the deeper he roster.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you go back to what Mcvay said in December about Van Jefferson then you can see the confidence on the coaches side of it.Then he starts to get more playing time.Van Jefferson against Green Bay showed such a veteran presence about him. He was no longer a rookie.The hook & ladder with Cam Akers for 2Points was a thing of beauty.
Josh Reynolds missing the pass right in his hands basically cost The Rams a chance on the road to win.Van Jefferson looks the ball into his hands,makes sure he knows where he is on the field.I saw 2 replays get over turned into catches.His knowledge of the game is special.
Reynolds is gone & those young players were brought in show Van Jefferson does not need to play special teams(Kupp as well) on coverage. The last thing I wanted to see last year was for Van to get hurt out there.He made plays,but that all about talent & hustle.You can’t have him giving up his body.That is not the player he is. —Mcvay held Van Jefferson under wraps in 2020.Josh Reynolds was in there in hope The Rams could get a Good Comp pick & preserve Jefferson.I know he was pissed & frustrated at times.Especially when Reynolds missed catches or a blocking assignment.
I actually think after watching the Green Bay game Van Jefferson will be a #1/2 WR.Hard call as of right now though to give out numbers of catches.I’ll say he has over 65 in 2021.
That’s my opinion
I honestly believe it’s coming but not sure if it will be 21 or 22