Al Davis Passed Away

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
According to the Raiders Official Website.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You know, I knew his time was coming but it's still unreal that it happened. Everyone liked to make fun of him for drafting 40 yard dash guys, and how insanse he sounded. But he's still an icon for the game and it's a big loss. What a week, eh? 1st Steve Jobs now Al Davis. 2 guys that meant the world to their businesses.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
RIP Al Davis

Al Davis has passed away. This is from CNN:
(CNN) -- Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis, who had a storied career in professional football as a coach, commissioner and owner, died Saturday, the team said. He was 82.

In a brief post on their website, the Raiders said a statement would be issued later in the day.

The cause of death was not immediately released.

Much of Davis' career was spent in Oakland, where he first arrived as a coach in 1963 -- tasked with turning around a team that was picked to be at the bottom of the standings. The results were almost immediate, finishing 10-4 that season, and Davis was selected as coach of the year.

At 33, he was both the coach and general manager of the Raiders, the website said, making him the youngest person to hold that dual position.

His career started in 1950 as a line coach at Adelphi College in New York, the Raiders website said.

He also coached at The Citadel, Southern California and for the then-Los Angeles Chargers before going to the Raiders.

According to the Raiders website, by the time he arrived in Oakland, Davis had already been labeled a "young coaching genius" by Sports Illustrated.

As commissioner of the American Football League in 1966, he played a role in the merger of that league with the National Football League.

Davis' story, the Raiders website said, "is a standard that no one in the history of professional football can match for winning and excellence."

He was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame in 1992.

"Al Davis's passion for football and his influence on the game were extraordinary," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on his Twitter account. "The respect he commanded was evident in the way that people listened carefully every time he spoke. He is a true legend of the game whose impact and legacy will forever be part of the NFL."

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Re: RIP Al Davis

I wrote this on Facebook:

Wow just got call from my dad that Al Davis passed away. A lot of us being fans laughed at the Raiders, but we have to respect is that he did things his way. There is one less pulse now that changed the NFL. He also gave everyone a chance. May he rest in peace

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Wow. Hate Raider nation but you gotta give props to Al. RIP indeed because he certainly didn't live in peace.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Thought Thiesman said it well
The passing of Mr. Davis marks the end of an era. He helped make the game what it is today. He was willing to push back for his beliefs. RIP

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I had heard from several fans over the years (one a Whiner fan) that Al still claimed Los Angeles as his own option to return even though he moved and I think that was a part of the puzzle why LA never had a team again (lawsuit waiting to happen). With him gone, that is one huge hurdle out of the way for a team to move here.

bluecoconuts

Legend

RamsSince1969 said:
I had heard from several fans over the years (one a Whiner fan) that Al still claimed Los Angeles as his own option to return even though he moved and I think that was a part of the puzzle why LA never had a team again (lawsuit waiting to happen). With him gone, that is one huge hurdle out of the way for a team to move here.

Los Angeles said they don't want the Raiders, because of the fans.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ive been following all the reaction to this on twitter today. Its nice to hear all the good stories about him. He was a true pioneer for the NFL. He was controversial, but very respected. RIP Al Davis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Shocked. Thought he would live forever.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This guy single-handedly brought the deep ball to the NFL and made it successful. I don't have anything negative to say about him.

Rest in peace, Al Davis. Just win, baby, win.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think I'm going to become a bandwagon Raiders fan this year, just in honor of Al.

I have clear memories of those early 70's Raiders teams, and loved watching them back then. It's time to rekindle.