AJ Cann

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thehammer

Rookie
keep seeing his name on this board...6'2 1/2 ran a 5.53 at his pro day and spent most of the time working out at center

rams attended the South Carolina pro day...player we need is Cory Robinson 6'6 3/4 319 31 vertical and 5.21 40.. Cann is ok as a center but not sure he is a day one starter at guard

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Hey, thanks for the info on Robinson. Seems he didn't workout at the combine, only weighed-in and lifted. Noticed CR0b a while ago when I was looking at film of Cann and liked what I saw in the left tackle. I thought CRob moved pretty well and was a very good run blocker, pass pro needed some work but, he looks to be very capable of playing RT. SCarolina listed him at 6'8"-344lbs but he weighed-in at the combine at 324lbs, now he's down to 319lbs with pretty good athleticism. Had this guy as my sleeper OL, so glad the Rams were there and got a chance to watch him work; I think he's a 3rd-4th round possibility------same school as Rok but CRob is a lot better.

Thanks again------draft time is getting warm!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Cann would have any probs starting day one at OG which is why he's seen so often mocked in round 2. Dude is just a great football player so I'm not sweating his measurables at all. His film will ensure he goes earlier than a lot of guys who are bigger and faster than he is.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Interested to hear what makes Robinson a better player than Cann? Cuz to me, Robinson is a day 3 pick. Very slow feet. Probably can't stick at Tackle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interested to hear what makes Robinson a better player than Cann? Cuz to me, Robinson is a day 3 pick. Very slow feet. Probably can't stick at Tackle.

I graduated from SC and am a huge Gamecocks fan...I don't like Robinson. Effort is inconsistent, doesn't bend well, and he has heavy feet. I'm just not a fan. Lacks the bend to play OG at his height but doesn't have the feet to handle NFL speed at OT imo.

Athos

Legend
I graduated from SC and am a huge Gamecocks fan...I don't like Robinson. Effort is inconsistent, doesn't bend well, and he has heavy feet. I'm just not a fan. Lacks the bend to play OG at his height but doesn't have the feet to handle NFL speed at OT imo.

You aren't the first to say that. All the reports I've read say he has talent, but his effort is piss-poor, which probably leads to a lot of the other errors you've seen in his game that you mentioned.

I hate laziness in FB players. Especially on the line. Laziness gets your QB killed.

thehammer

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robinson smart long 35 5/8 arms, perfect size and is down to 319....Cann is 6' 2 1/2 with 32 1/2 arms
IMO Robinson will have a long career at either rt or g in the nfl.. Not sure about Cann as a starter at g or c

thehammer

Rookie
want to add Robinson all academic SEC and recruited by Duke...no position needs brains more then olinemen..even more then the qb

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson smart long 35 5/8 arms, perfect size and is down to 319....Cann is 6' 2 1/2 with 32 1/2 arms
IMO Robinson will have a long career at either rt or g in the nfl.. Not sure about Cann as a starter at g or c

Cann is a far better player than Robinson. Robinson will not be playing OG in the NFL (effectively). He's too tall and stiff. Cann can play OG or C at a high level at the next level (well, I'm assuming on Center because he's never played it in a game).

want to add Robinson all academic SEC and recruited by Duke...no position needs brains more then olinemen..even more then the qb

That's not even remotely true. Especially not of OTs.

thehammer

Rookie
Cann is a far better player than Robinson. Robinson will not be playing OG in the NFL (effectively). He's too tall and stiff. Cann can play OG or C at a high level at the next level (well, I'm assuming on Center because he's never played it in a game).

That's not even remotely true. Especially not of OTs.

think you need to hit your reset button and start all over..that olinemen need to be smart is very, very, very basic stuff

commons sense, knowledge of football and reading/listening to dozens and dozens of interviews makes that very plain...

Annually, offensive linemen average a higher score on the 12-minute, 50-question quiz administered at the NFL scouting combine than players at other positions do.

Longtime NFL scribe Paul Zimmerman figured out the averages per position, and offensive tackles lead the way with a median score of 26. Centers are a close second at 25.QB 24....

At last year's combine, the overall average for all positions was 21.

Greg Gabriel longtime NFL scout "Intelligence" This was the first attribute when looking at OT's

"The one common trait, no matter what the offensive line position, is intelligence. As a whole, offensive linemen are very level-headed guys, and may have dominant personalities."

Offensive tackles tend to score higher on the Wonderlic than other positions. The average score for offensive tackles is 26.

"There's not a lot of unintelligent guys on the offensive line," said Illinois guard Jon Asamoah, an Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

"Bill Belichick used to always tell me the dumbest group is the defensive linemen, and centers are the smartest," Pioli said.

another not so surprising result of drafting low wonderlic players
What positions have been arrested the most and what positions have been arrested the least? Well, arrested the most: Wide receiver, defensive back, defensive line, and linebacker. Those guys get arrested the most. Who gets arrested the least? Tight ends, offensive line and quarterbacks. Well, what do you know, the lowest Wonderlic scores get arrested the most and the highest Wonderlic scores get arrested the least. So dumb guys get arrested more often. Shocker."

I could go on but I shouldn't need to...even in that Cosell interview about the top olinemen in the draft the analyst talking to him is a former nfl olinemen and he explained why the need for brains...

I look very closely at college majors, academics awards and whether a player had to attend a jc school or was recruited by brains schools in my evaluations for the simple reason... it matters

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yes, you need knowledge of the offense and quick wits to be able to make the blocking decisions on the line in the heat of battle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
think you need to hit your reset button and start all over..that olinemen need to be smart is very, very, very basic stuff

I think you need to hit the reset button. Centers need to be intelligent. Tackles do not. And no OL needs to be as intelligent as the QB. The idea that OLs need more brains than QBs is false.

But you're welcome to explain to me if I'm dead wrong what makes intelligence so important for tackles.

commons sense, knowledge of football and reading/listening to dozens and dozens of interviews makes that very plain...

Annually, offensive linemen average a higher score on the 12-minute, 50-question quiz administered at the NFL scouting combine than players at other positions do.

Longtime NFL scribe Paul Zimmerman figured out the averages per position, and offensive tackles lead the way with a median score of 26. Centers are a close second at 25.QB 24....

Well, here's part of the problem...mistaken understanding...the Wonderlic neither correlates to success on the field or actual football intelligence.

I look very closely at college majors, academics awards and whether a player had to attend a jc school or was recruited by brains schools in my evaluations for the simple reason... it matters

That's something worth investigating as to whether there's a correlation between those things and success in the NFL. I'm actually curious now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, you need knowledge of the offense and quick wits to be able to make the blocking decisions on the line in the heat of battle.

Not really. Those decisions are typically made pre-snap by either the Center or the QB or both. If they're doing their job, the other OLs are just putting themselves into the position they're told to be in.

And "quick wits" is nothing difference from instincts at any other position. LBs have to make quick decisions to diagnose the play and sniff it out. CBs have to make quick decisions to anticipate the route and jump it. WRs have to make quick decisions to recognize the coverage and execute the correct option.

They're hardly the only position that has to make split second decisions in the heat of battle. At other positions, most people call that instincts.

thehammer

Rookie
Not really. Those decisions are typically made pre-snap by either the Center or the QB or both. If they're doing their job, the other OLs are just putting themselves into the position they're told to be in.

And "quick wits" is nothing difference from instincts at any other position. LBs have to make quick decisions to diagnose the play and sniff it out. CBs have to make quick decisions to anticipate the route and jump it. WRs have to make quick decisions to recognize the coverage and execute the correct option.

They're hardly the only position that has to make split second decisions in the heat of battle. At other positions, most people call that instincts.

100% wrong....olinemen have to react to late D shifts and understand blitz schemes...they have to be able to think on their feet...not instincts it's knowing both the offensive and defensive playbook. there is a reason olinemen have the highest wonderlic scores...feel to call any oline coach or former player and ask them if intelligence matters

do you think it is really just a coincidencethat ot's and oline score the highest on the wonderlic

fearsomefour

Legend
Who is making decisions about adjustments on pass plays?.....QB, WR, C. The T and G are going to do what they are told to do. Lineman may need to do some adjusting on the fly (something the Rams struggled with greatly last year, being beat by basic stunts over and over again) and recognize some things. But, someone has to be in charge. That is the QB first, the C for some blocking adjustments and communicating those to the line. WRs have to adjust to coverages and shifts in coverage and being on the same page as the QB. This is why it takes young WRs time to adjust to the NFL game, not speed or anything athletic.

fearsomefour

Legend
Larry Allen, Roger Staubach, OJ Simpson, Warren Moon, Dick Lane, Cortez Kennedy, Aaron Rodgers....all JC guys. Those are all HOF guys, plenty more that were good players that went to JC first. As much as anything it is a case of a guy being missed (like Rodgers who got 0 offers out of high school) or guys who just didn't have a real focus in high school. Heck a big, big percentage of MLB guys went the JC route because the MLB draft is structured differently.
My point is, there is not a linear connection you are going to be able to make between a test score, "intelligence" and performance in the NFL.
Ryan Fitzpatrick went to Harvard, Kurt Warner went to Northern Iowa.
If finding players that could evolve into good NFL players was that linear the draft would be easy.