After taking care of Aaron Donald & Cooper Kupp, which Rams are next for new contracts?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

After taking care of Aaron Donald & Cooper Kupp, which Rams are next for new contracts?​

Could LA extend Rob Havenstein, Greg Gaines, or Nick Scott?

usa_today_18497658.0.jpg

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
The Los Angeles Rams rewarded two major contributors that helped them win a Super Bowl in 2021 - giving re-worked contracts to Aaron Donaldand Cooper Kupp during minicamp last week.
With Donald, Kupp, Matthew Stafford, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd, Allen Robinson, and Joseph Noteboom signed for the foreseeable future, who could the Rams reward next?

Rob Havenstein, RT​

Havenstein has been a steady presence at right tackle for LA since entering the league in 2015. While he’s rarely ever mentioned among the best tackles in football, he’s certainly well-above average.
The veteran is an unrestricted free agent in 2023 and he will hit the open market at age 30, which is fairly young for a tackle that has as much starting experience as Havenstein. While he’s slated to make around $9.6M in 2022, it could take much more than that to retain Havenstein - re-signing Joseph Noteboom this offseason came with a 3-year price tag of $40M.
Could the Rams instead opt to retain Bobby Evans at a lower price and have him compete with Alaric “AJ” Jackson for the starting role at right tackle in 2023, allowing Havenstein to test the free agent waters?

Greg Gaines, DT​

After selecting Gaines in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL Draft, general manager Les Snead anointed Gaines as an immediate starting nose tackle. It took some time for this assertion to come to fruition, but Gaines emerged as a disruptive force on the defensive interior in 2021.
An injury to Sebastian Joseph-Day afforded Gaines more opportunity last season, and his encouraging development allowed the Rams to let Joseph-Day walk in free agency. Now, Gaines is also slated to be a free agent in 2023. Could LA opt to re-sign the big defensive tackle?
Joseph-Day’s deal with the Los Angeles Chargersaverages about $8M over the course of three years, so that should be a fair starting point for a new deal with Gaines.

Nick Scott, DB​

Los Angeles has historically not invested in the safety position, and they’ve allowed capable players like Rodney McLeod, Lamarcus Joyner, and John Johnson III to sign elsewhere in free agency.
While Scott, who was drafted in 2019 primarily to fill a special teams role, has developed into a starting safety, he still is a lesser player at this point in his career than the aforementioned McLeod, Joyner, and Johnson III.
The Rams won’t have to pay Scott at a mark near the top of the safety market, and that could be enough to keep him in LA long-term. His price tag might be more in the $6-8M range rather than the $12M+ top safeties have earned on the open market.

David Long, Jr., CB​

David Long, Jr. had a rough start to the 2021 season, but he turned things around during the playoffs and was a key part in helping the Rams win a Super Bowl.
While LA has drafted three talented corners over the last two seasons, the team may want to keep Long’s experience and inside-out versality for the foreseeable future.
Could a fellow resurgent corner like Green Bay Packers’ Rasul Douglas have set the market for Long in 2023? Douglas was re-signed this offseason for $21M over three years.

Tyler Higbee, TE​

Higbee will count just over $7.6M against the Rams’ cap in 2023. Trading or cutting the veteran tight-end would net LA an additional $4.8M in space, so his days with the team could be numbered.
If the Rams want to keep Higbee around, they can give him an extension and reduce his 2023 cap hit by as much as $4.1M.
How much does the emergence of Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins during last year’s playoffs impact the team’s decision to keep Higbee?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Don't pay any of them. And go easy on the toilet paper goddammit!"
~ John Shaw

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gaines would be the one I’d prioritize.

The others we feel better set up with pipeline players that can step in.

That said… losing Havenstein doesn’t feel good to me. The Rams likely want his comp pick, tho. That’s our model.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Far fewer free agent worries than I expected. If no one is missing from the list,
Hav is the only big worry, as Higbee is still under contract.
Gaines and Scott are good but replaceable parts.
Long Jr. has done nothing yet and if he shines, Rams get a comp. pick.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would try and sign Gaines. Good defensive tackles are hard to find. Offensive tackles, like Big Rob, can be replaced and they get a comp pick and they have guys to replace him (Alaric Jackson?). I might not sign Nick Scott, although I would want to see what kind of year he has this year. If he's plays great, the Rams will probably lose him and get a nice comp pick. If he does not play great, they will probably let him go. Safeties are replaceable. Same with David Long, although good corners are harder to find.

oldnotdead

Legend
Gaines is not easily replaced. He's a legit starter on the interior. There is no way I see him going anywhere.

Scott needs to continue to improve his game. Morris likes to play 3 safeties and Scott is that 3rd guy. He has the speed, i.e. range, to play deep. There is no way to know how long Morris will be here. Scott's speed makes him versatile and his willingness to be a thumper is also worth noting.

Jackson will replace Havenstein and might be an upgrade. Jackson has better feet and seems to handle speed better than Rob. They will have Arcuri to play swing OT.

Higbee is good but not irreplaceable. That is the motivation to see if Harris can play the position. If not if Blanton and Hopkins can take the next step this year then Higbee's role will be filled. The TE cap hit has exploded and they can't afford Higbee who is under contract until 2024 so they have 2 more years.

Durant is expected to basically replace Long and Deayon next year. With how Morris plays his zones, Long's role can be replaced with a safety which is why they drafted 2 of them. IMO Lake will replace Rapp next year.

Guys like Long and Rapp are why Snead can say fuck them picks. They are replaceable pieces that Snead drafts a year in advance to replace. Havenstein also is part of that plan because guys like him bring those comp picks that Snead covets. The Rams can't pay everyone so those talented role players are key to his plan. He gets 3 or maybe 4 good years out of them and then they become comp picks. You have to wonder if Yeast was targeted as Fuller's replacement in 2024. This gives them 2 years to develop Yeast. I like Fuller and hope he gets his second contract. But the market cost will be high if they want to keep him.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Gaines is not easily replaced. He's a legit starter on the interior. There is no way I see him going anywhere.

Scott needs to continue to improve his game. Morris likes to play 3 safeties and Scott is that 3rd guy. He has the speed, i.e. range, to play deep. There is no way to know how long Morris will be here. Scott's speed makes him versatile and his willingness to be a thumper is also worth noting.

Jackson will replace Havenstein and might be an upgrade. Jackson has better feet and seems to handle speed better than Rob. They will have Arcuri to play swing OT.

Higbee is good but not irreplaceable. That is the motivation to see if Harris can play the position. If not if Blanton and Hopkins can take the next step this year then Higbee's role will be filled. The TE cap hit has exploded and they can't afford Higbee who is under contract until 2024 so they have 2 more years.

Durant is expected to basically replace Long and Deayon next year. With how Morris plays his zones, Long's role can be replaced with a safety which is why they drafted 2 of them. IMO Lake will replace Rapp next year.

Guys like Long and Rapp are why Snead can say fuck them picks. They are replaceable pieces that Snead drafts a year in advance to replace. Havenstein also is part of that plan because guys like him bring those comp picks that Snead covets. The Rams can't pay everyone so those talented role players are key to his plan. He gets 3 or maybe 4 good years out of them and then they become comp picks. You have to wonder if Yeast was targeted as Fuller's replacement in 2024. This gives them 2 years to develop Yeast. I like Fuller and hope he gets his second contract. But the market cost will be high if they want to keep him.
How do you know that AJ has better feet and hands when he hasn't started on the right side in the NFL?

It takes time for lineman and TEs to develop, so I don't expect our late round developmental guys to perform at their level right away.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jackson played every preseason game last year. I don't care about the competition as much as his level of play, i.e. technique. He played very well last year when he played at LT in the Vikings game during the regular season. Again he showed decent technique for a guy who went undrafted. His primary issue was poor footwork seems to have been corrected by Carberry.

I watch some of the film of him at the Senior Bowl and he looked better than his collegiate game tapes. He showed commitment by changing his diet, and training regime at a academy. I was surprised at the difference when he played preseason. One more year as a backup will serve him well. If he continues that development trajectory, I have no doubt he will be the RT next year.

Slow feet is something that has plagued Havenstein since his collegiate days. Even now he still struggles with speed which is why he often gets called for false starts. Carlos Dunlap with his quickness and strength consistently ate Havenstein's lunch.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Slow feet is something that has plagued Havenstein since his collegiate days. Even now he still struggles with speed which is why he often gets called for false starts.
Rob Havenstein: One false start penalty in 2020 ... One false start penalty in 2021.

You can pretty-much look-up anything now-a-days.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rob Havenstein: One false start penalty in 2020 ... One false start penalty in 2021.

You can pretty-much look-up anything now-a-days.
Shhhhh that doesn’t fit the narrative.

Big Rob is a known commodity and over the last two years has been a great asset. The only time he has performed under average was when he was injured and he came back from that nicely. I think they try to get a 3 or 4 year deal done with him if someone out bids them THEN the company pick will be some consolation.

Gaines is the only other player in that list I see worth a look and that depends on development of players this year. I see no reason to get jumpy and try to do an extension now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

How much cap space are the Rams projected to have in 2023?​

Cameron DaSilva /June 24, 2022

Salary cap space isn’t something the Rams usually have much of. They much prefer to pay star players rather than saving their money to carry over to the next year.

The big contracts they’ve given out to Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Stafford, Bobby Wagner and Allen Robinson limit the available cap space they’ll be afforded in the next few years, which is part of the reason they rank 27th in salary cap health from now until 2024.

Looking ahead to next year when starters such as Greg Gaines, Rob Havenstein, David Edwards, A’Shawn Robinson and Matt Gay will become free agents, the Rams will have work to do in order to free up some money. According to Over The Cap, Los Angeles is projected to be over the salary cap by $2.6 million.

Over The Cap projects the cap to be set at $225 million, a $16.8 million increase from this year. The NFL will announce an official cap number at a later date, but it’s reasonable to think there will be a significant jump thanks to the league’s new TV deals and rising revenue.

Only 10 teams are projected to have less cap space than the Rams, and just 12 teams are set to be over the cap in 2023. The Saints are in the worst shape, sitting $57.9 million over the projected salary cap.

There will be ways to create cap space, whether it’s by cutting a player like Coleman Shelton, Tyler Higbee or Terrell Burgess, or by restructuring Leonard Floyd’s contract to save $10.8 million.

As they always do, the Rams will figure it out, and being over the cap by $2.6 million isn’t nearly as bad as some other teams. And if/when they do re-sign players such as Gaines, Edwards or their other free agents, they can be creative with the structure of those contracts by making their cap hits lower in Year 1.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

25 Rams players who will become free agents in 2023​

As is the case seemingly every year, the Los Angeles Rams will have a long list of key players hitting free agency after the 2022 season. They’ll have trouble keeping most of them based on the team’s salary cap situation, but the Rams will do their best to re-sign some of their top free agents.

This group includes starters such as Greg Gaines, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein and A’Shawn Robinson, as well as their kicker (Matt Gay) and No. 2 edge rusher (Justin Hollins).

Corbin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

25 Rams players who will become free agents in 2023​

As is the case seemingly every year, the Los Angeles Rams will have a long list of key players hitting free agency after the 2022 season. They’ll have trouble keeping most of them based on the team’s salary cap situation, but the Rams will do their best to re-sign some of their top free agents.

This group includes starters such as Greg Gaines, David Edwards, Rob Havenstein and A’Shawn Robinson, as well as their kicker (Matt Gay) and No. 2 edge rusher (Justin Hollins).
We are fucked next year :angry:
Fuck let’s ride this out again! SB bound fuckers!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Almost half are restricted or exclusive rights free agents.

The primary unrestricted are two starting DL (Robinson and Gaines), and two starting OL (Havenstein and Edwards).

Other projected starters or top reserves who will be unrestricted are Hollins, Long, Henderson and Gay; plus two safeties in Rapp and Scott.

It’s a tough list but the Rams should be able to retain some. Don’t agree that the Rams are ‘fucked’ but do believe there is a limited window. Less because of the pending free agents, and more because almost all of their top players are in their late-20s to early-30s. Stafford and Akers are two exceptions but QBs can play until well into their 30s, while RBs have a short-shelf-life.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am not so sure.

The Rams pro scouting is impeccable. The best in the NFL. Snead will just bring in new players, via trade and free agency, that will fill the holes of those departing via free agency. Likely, the Rams' replacements will provide the same level of play but at a much lesser cost in many cases. The draft will also help fill out the roster. Nobody is as good as the Rams at churning a large portion of the roster each year, successfully, to build around the core pieces you commit to like Donald, Kupp, and Stafford.

Look at the names on that list. Greg Gaines is a must-keep, IMO. But Robinson and Hollins, who are on that list, are exactly the type of under-hyped pro acquisitions the Rams always find a way to make. We'll find new versions of what they bring, if we do not retain them. Offensive line is the key to an offense, so two starters on that list in Edwards and Havenstein hurts, but surely, by 2023, at least one of our in-house lineman will be able to step up.

Not all of the players on that list are unrestricted free agents, we must also remember.

One truly terrible thing to think about is that AD99, more likely than not, retires after this contract IMO. Sooner rather than later the Rams are going to free up a whole bunch of cap room with that.... good luck trying to spend it in any way even close to replacing Aaron Donald though.:crying:

Corbin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Almost half are restricted or exclusive rights free agents.

The primary unrestricted are two starting DL (Robinson and Gaines), and two starting OL (Havenstein and Edwards).

Other projected starters or top reserves who will be unrestricted are Hollins, Long, Henderson and Gay; plus two safeties in Rapp and Scott.

It’s a tough list but the Rams should be able to retain some. Don’t agree that the Rams are ‘fucked’ but do believe there is a limited window. Less because of the pending free agents, and more because almost all of their top players are in their late-20s to early-30s. Stafford and Akers are two exceptions but QBs can play until well into their 30s, while RBs have a short-shelf-life.
Well that’s a relief to hear, I haven’t dug into it all as I usually do being swamped asf. I do know with our premier players we have 3 years at the least with them for that SB window.

Interesting as hell to see what we do going forward. Luckily those position players that Mentioned are easier to find outside of the 1st round of the draft.
I am not so sure.

The Rams pro scouting is impeccable. The best in the NFL. Snead will just bring in new players, via trade and free agency, that will fill the holes of those departing via free agency. Likely, the Rams' replacements will provide the same level of play but at a much lesser cost in many cases. The draft will also help fill out the roster. Nobody is as good as the Rams at churning a large portion of the roster each year, successfully, to build around the core pieces you commit to like Donald, Kupp, and Stafford.

Look at the names on that list. Greg Gaines is a must-keep, IMO. But Robinson and Hollins, who are on that list, are exactly the type of under-hyped pro acquisitions the Rams always find a way to make. We'll find new versions of what they bring, if we do not retain them. Offensive line is the key to an offense, so two starters on that list in Edwards and Havenstein hurts, but surely, by 2023, at least one of our in-house lineman will be able to step up.

Not all of the players on that list are unrestricted free agents, we must also remember.

One truly terrible thing to think about is that AD99, more likely than not, retires after this contract IMO. Sooner rather than later the Rams are going to free up a whole bunch of cap room with that.... good luck trying to spend it in any way even close to replacing Aaron Donald though.:crying:
I have the utmost confidence in our scouting department but just like our coaching staff they are going to start being poached with Brad Holmes and the Lions increasing their wins and organization this coming season.

It’s going to be a harder and a delay to reload with loss of personal. Especially an area we haven’t been used to getting poached and having a plan and anticipation already in place.

Going to be interesting this next depending on what we in the playoffs.