After re-watching the Cowboy game I have some general thoughts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
BTW, I simply re-watched, but without rewinding and watching every player on every snap. So, these thoughts should be taken as general impressions only.

On Offense.

Both Goff and McVay seem to be benefiting from O’Connell’s input. Goff seems more confident and poised, more of a master of this O. McVay’s gameplan was brilliant and playcalling was better than last year, including McVay staying with the run game even in a tossup game late.

Running game was just good enough to demand respect from the Dallas D. Akers got his feet wet but didn’t impress like I thought he would. Then again, chunk running plays are hard to come by if the OL doesn’t open the occasional big hole. I believe running game will improve over time if only because they’ll knock the rust off.

OL played pretty darned well, overall. Boom was the weakest link and needs to win me over as a LG. I’m pulling for him, of course, but there needs to be significant improvement or I would hope that Kromer replaces him at LG. I still think Boom’s future is at LOT (if Whit ever retires, lol).

Big Whit has obviously discovered the Fountain of Youth, huh? I would love to have a glass of that water, man. Amazing.

Blythe is making an early case supporting the wisdom of his 1 year extension. Don’t look now but he might be our starting C next year and beyond if this keeps up. Many a poster will be gnashing their teeth upon reading this, I know.

Don’t look now, but Corbett might be a gem for that 5th in trade. Fingers crossed.

Everett needs to step it up if he wants to be a Ram next year. Both Higbee and Everett need to improve their blocking and I mean ASAP! Both looked rusty there.

We’re absolutely loaded at WR, aren’t we? Heck both our 3rd and 4th WR’s made critical big catches that kept drives alive. But I must say that WR blocking I saw was not nearly up to their normal standards.

On Defense.

Floyd didn’t impress me, despite that one late sack. He needs to step it up in this ‘prove it’ year if he wants to be a Ram next season. I expected more from the vet, tbh.

Well, Staley has got to find an NFL edge on the other side. SOMEBODY has to seize that starting position because Ebu (and nobody else, really) seemed to want it. Might be our Achilles heel based upon this first game.

I’ve been saying this for several years, but why can’t other players take better advantage of AD’s presence and occupation by the opposing OL? I think that the others in that front 7 should be feasting when AD is on the field. Geez...

Tackling, other than DL looked worse than rusty, if you ask me. Gawd! Probably a result of no OTA’s, no normal camp (including scrimmages with other teams), and no preseason games. But still... Surely the coaches will be emphasizing that this week. Better tackling, even decent tackling would have really shut the Cowboys down.

Kiser also disappointed. Watching that game film couldn’t have been a pleasant experience for him. I thought tackling was his forte for crying out loud. The young man needs to win me over and PDQ, at that.

Love our secondary. Heck, who doesn’t? Talk about loaded. We’ve got two 3rd rounders in Long and Burgess that can scarcely see the field other than ST. Also, a 2nd rounder in Rapp May have at least temporarily lost his starting position to a 6th round rookie. An embarrassment of riches that I doubt even the most ardent among us really saw coming.

On ST.

Sloman needs to win me over, too. Missed short FG, a low 2nd kick, and short kickoffs? Really? Bonamego needs to keep those other 2 PK candidates on speed dial.

What the heck is up with Kupp as our ‘designated fair catcher’? Whose idea was that, McVay or Bonamego? When McVay tries ‘different’ things (like no vets playing in ps games) I at least can see the logic of his thinking. But this Kupp thing leaves me grasping at air. Wasn’t Calais supposedly brought in for this? Didn’t Webster do well as PR last year? C’mon, Coach...

Speaking of coaching, I think the Rams are better at HC, OC, and DC than at anytime since McVay came on board in ‘17 (with the possible exception of LaFleur that one year). And I think Bonamego is at least the equal of the recent Fassel for ST’s Coordinator. Staley gets special kudos from me for the deceptive nature of his D presented to opposing QB’s.

Well, that’s it. Overall, a good first game against a quality opponent. Lots of things to clean up, but doable with the possible exception of lack of sufficient talent at edge and ILB. Those are 2 areas where these coaches must really earn their money. Fingers REALLY crossed here. Gulp...

I see this team with a floor of no less that 10 wins and a ceiling of maybe 13 wins. Probably an 11-12 win team, even in the difficult NFC West.

Anybody see things differently? Or have something that I missed?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I dont know what to make of Bonamego but I must say I doubt he ever becomes near the STs coach Bones is. We took a hit on teams imo.

Something didn't look right on our KO coverage... scared to death of a big return there. Sloman *might* be "good enough" to not get fired, but that's probably his ceiling.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd caution everyone against judging the offense. It was a good start, but this is almost EXACTLY how the offense looked against Carolina last year in week one (including a focus on the run and Brown scoring two TDs). Neither Carolina last year nor Dallas this year has a good defense (I don't care what the media says - Poe, Griffen and Smith aren't as good as they used to be and their secondary may be the worst in the league by the end of the year).

I'm much more encouraged by the defense as they may have played the most talented offense in the NFC - but they were also down some linemen.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as the short kickoffs, I wouldn't put anything into that. Might have been the plan on those. I also saw him kick one 5 yards out of the back of the endzone.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I like how we got a big win while just getting our feet wet. 3 new coordinators, Staley's first time as one. So many new pieces, including rookies. 3rd youngest team. We were just getting acclimated, and still won a big game.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We looked stronger than Dallas in nearly every department. Elliot showed us what a star running back looks like. Besides him the pokes looked average. Our secondary is as advertised and we generated plenty of pressure particularly when blitzing up the middle @Kizer :hush:. Woods is a great player and deserves an extension. Goff >Prescot. OK there were some mistakes but we are loaded across the board. Game ball? Whitworth was a beast!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW, I simply re-watched, but without rewinding and watching every player on every snap. So, these thoughts should be taken as general impressions only.

On Offense.

Both Goff and McVay seem to be benefiting from O’Connell’s input. Goff seems more confident and poised, more of a master of this O. McVay’s gameplan was brilliant and playcalling was better than last year, including McVay staying with the run game even in a tossup game late.

Running game was just good enough to demand respect from the Dallas D. Akers got his feet wet but didn’t impress like I thought he would. Then again, chunk running plays are hard to come by if the OL doesn’t open the occasional big hole. I believe running game will improve over time if only because they’ll knock the rust off.

OL played pretty darned well, overall. Boom was the weakest link and needs to win me over as a LG. I’m pulling for him, of course, but there needs to be significant improvement or I would hope that Kromer replaces him at LG. I still think Boom’s future is at LOT (if Whit ever retires, lol).

Big Whit has obviously discovered the Fountain of Youth, huh? I would love to have a glass of that water, man. Amazing.

Blythe is making an early case supporting the wisdom of his 1 year extension. Don’t look now but he might be our starting C next year and beyond if this keeps up. Many a poster will be gnashing their teeth upon reading this, I know.

Don’t look now, but Corbett might be a gem for that 5th in trade. Fingers crossed.

Everett needs to step it up if he wants to be a Ram next year. Both Higbee and Everett need to improve their blocking and I mean ASAP! Both looked rusty there.

We’re absolutely loaded at WR, aren’t we? Heck both our 3rd and 4th WR’s made critical big catches that kept drives alive. But I must say that WR blocking I saw was not nearly up to their normal standards.

On Defense.

Floyd didn’t impress me, despite that one late sack. He needs to step it up in this ‘prove it’ year if he wants to be a Ram next season. I expected more from the vet, tbh.

Well, Staley has got to find an NFL edge on the other side. SOMEBODY has to seize that starting position because Ebu (and nobody else, really) seemed to want it. Might be our Achilles heel based upon this first game.

I’ve been saying this for several years, but why can’t other players take better advantage of AD’s presence and occupation by the opposing OL? I think that the others in that front 7 should be feasting when AD is on the field. Geez...

Tackling, other than DL looked worse than rusty, if you ask me. Gawd! Probably a result of no OTA’s, no normal camp (including scrimmages with other teams), and no preseason games. But still... Surely the coaches will be emphasizing that this week. Better tackling, even decent tackling would have really shut the Cowboys down.

Kiser also disappointed. Watching that game film couldn’t have been a pleasant experience for him. I thought tackling was his forte for crying out loud. The young man needs to win me over and PDQ, at that.

Love our secondary. Heck, who doesn’t? Talk about loaded. We’ve got two 3rd rounders in Long and Burgess that can scarcely see the field other than ST. Also, a 2nd rounder in Rapp May have at least temporarily lost his starting position to a 6th round rookie. An embarrassment of riches that I doubt even the most ardent among us really saw coming.

On ST.

Sloman needs to win me over, too. Missed short FG, a low 2nd kick, and short kickoffs? Really? Bonamego needs to keep those other 2 PK candidates on speed dial.

What the heck is up with Kupp as our ‘designated fair catcher’? Whose idea was that, McVay or Bonamego? When McVay tries ‘different’ things (like no vets playing in ps games) I at least can see the logic of his thinking. But this Kupp thing leaves me grasping at air. Wasn’t Calais supposedly brought in for this? Didn’t Webster do well as PR last year? C’mon, Coach...

Speaking of coaching, I think the Rams are better at HC, OC, and DC than at anytime since McVay came on board in ‘17 (with the possible exception of LaFleur that one year). And I think Bonamego is at least the equal of the recent Fassel for ST’s Coordinator. Staley gets special kudos from me for the deceptive nature of his D presented to opposing QB’s.

Well, that’s it. Overall, a good first game against a quality opponent. Lots of things to clean up, but doable with the possible exception of lack of sufficient talent at edge and ILB. Those are 2 areas where these coaches must really earn their money. Fingers REALLY crossed here. Gulp...

I see this team with a floor of no less that 10 wins and a ceiling of maybe 13 wins. Probably an 11-12 win team, even in the difficult NFC West.

Anybody see things differently? Or have something that I missed?

I agree with most of it as a one game evaluation.

Overall you said things should improve when it comes to tackling and blocking etc... Keep in mind all teams are likely to improve to some extent. So it is very difficult to get a good feel after only one game. This team went 3-0 to start the season last year and didn’t look the same afterward. So much can change.

The NFC West looks to be very tough this year. To me this season can go sideways fast and the floor be much lower than 10.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We might have that EDGE in Jachai Polite. One snap and he hit the QB.

He's gonna get more snaps and we'll see, but he looks promising.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Can we please stop with the short KOs and just simply boot it out of the end zone.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Honestly I didn't see a lot of holes that would allow anyone to get to the second level in the run game. It seemed Malcolm had better holes to run through though.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This team went 3-0 to start the season last year and didn’t look the same afterward. So much can change.

To be fair, I think we were all concerned about how much we were struggling last year even with the 3-0 start. In all three of those games I remember the Rams having lots of trouble moving the ball in the first half, and I don't think we had such a lopsided time of possession advantage in any of them.

Agree, it's just a one game evaluation we are looking at here, but it is also more promising looking to me than any of the first 3 games last year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Honestly I didn't see a lot of holes that would allow anyone to get to the second level in the run game. It seemed Malcolm had better holes to run through though.
Brown actually ran patiently and would wait for holes.
Cam would barrel in full speed.
Common for rookie RBs.
He’ll improve.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
My guess is that the analytics guys looked at the typical benefit gained on punt returns vs the penalty yardage and fumbles lost, and decided that they are better off just making a fair catch in most situations. It looked like the outside guys were doing little to keep the gunners in check, which would also seem to indicate that there wasn't an expectation of a return. Also, Kupp usually makes good decisions on whether to field punts or let them bounce towards the endzone, but I can see not wanting a $50 million dollar WR taking extra hits on returns. It will be interesting to see if they bring in one of the other guys if they actually want a return.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
To be fair, I think we were all concerned about how much we were struggling last year even with the 3-0 start. In all three of those games I remember the Rams having lots of trouble moving the ball in the first half, and I don't think we had such a lopsided time of possession advantage in any of them.

Agree, it's just a one game evaluation we are looking at here, but it is also more promising looking to me than any of the first 3 games last year.

I have concerns now. Red zone production was not great. Noteboom was not good. Lack of longer throws and runs means the Oline isn’t protecting well enough nor opening big holes.
The lack of edge pressure is a concern. Sloppy tackling needs to improve. Kiser’s range isn’t great. Dallas was effective on the edge against the Rams.
This win did not come without its drawbacks. Hopefully some of them will improve, but we have no guarantees.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have concerns now. Red zone production was not great. Noteboom was not good. Lack of longer throws and runs means the Oline isn’t protecting well enough nor opening big holes.
The lack of edge pressure is a concern. Sloppy tackling needs to improve. Kiser’s range isn’t great. Dallas was effective on the edge against the Rams.
This win did not come without its drawbacks. Hopefully some of them will improve, but we have no guarantees.
The game plan seemed to agree with this.

Thankfully we have a good coaching staff.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
My guess is that the analytics guys looked at the typical benefit gained on punt returns vs the penalty yardage and fumbles lost, and decided that they are better off just making a fair catch in most situations. It looked like the outside guys were doing little to keep the gunners in check, which would also seem to indicate that there wasn't an expectation of a return. Also, Kupp usually makes good decisions on whether to field punts or let them bounce towards the endzone, but I can see not wanting a $50 million dollar WR taking extra hits on returns. It will be interesting to see if they bring in one of the other guys if they actually want a return.

There were a couple of times it seemed like Kupp lost it for a second in the air. I wonder if that'll be an issue in the new stadium.