AFC East and the Patriots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
So I was thinking about the Patriots being in the AFC East. Since 2001 only NE has appeared in a Super Bowl.

Compare the NFC West where all 4 teams have appeared in a Super Bowl.

So are the Patriots as good as talking heads want to make them out to be or are they the benefactors of being in such a shitty division for so long?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
in my completely biased, i will never like nor say anything in a positive way about the patriots ever, opinion, THAT division is horrible. must be nice to be basically 6-0 when the season starts. do NOT get me started on video equipment either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Idk, but it might have something to do with this guy.
brady.gif

MFaulk107

The Realness
I mentioned this a bit ago in another thread. They are a good enough team to win 4-7 games not counting divisional games. But the 5 or 6 free divisional wins always happen because the 3 other teams are nothing special.
Meaning the patriots are pretty much "guaranteed" a playoff spot, and have been for awhile now. Put them in the AFC or NFC West, results sure as hell wouldn't be the same.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Easy Gentlemen, it was not too long ago many were cracking on the NFC West things turn on a dime in football. IMO it won't be as easy this year for the Patriots with the improved Jets and Bills. The Dolphins I'm not so sure because they always seem to be the same.

Anyway as much as I despise New England I am amazed how they just keep winning. Looking forward to the retirement of Brady & Bilicheat although with this defense I would love a one more crack at them in the big dance.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
I've been saying the same thing for years. 6-0 to start every season. But another thing is, every year, them and the Steelers get almost all of their toughest games at home. The Steelers still have to go to Baltimore every year but that's usually it. The Cheatriots seem to always play their toughest opponents at home, and when it's cold. Call me a conspiracy theorist but it sure is fishy. The NFL wants the teams that sell the most paraphernalia to have winning records. Also, the NFL is still pissed about Georgia suing them to move to St. Louis. Why do you suppose we keep getting one of the leagues toughest schedules year after year when we has a shitty record the year before. :unsure: JMO

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Call me a conspiracy theorist but it sure is fishy. The NFL wants the teams that sell the most paraphernalia to have winning records.
That's what it's all about right there. The league makes more money selling Stealers and Cheatriots stuff than it ever would if the Cardinals won the superbowl.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Cowboys sell the most stuff and they have been mediocre for years. So I don't know about conspiracy stuff.
The NFC East seems to be pretty balanced.

The Patriots started there run on the Rams back in 2001. No team in there division has challenged them in this time frame. The NFC West has been pretty balanced in this time frame.

As I said all four teams in the Rams division have been in a Super Bowl. You never know year to year who is going to bully there way to the top in the NFCW. Even when the division sucked. Very balanced division.

Are the Patriots as good as what history says or is it because of that shity division? Just feels like there so called dynasty was built on the Rams back but would it be a dynasty if there division was as balanced as the NFCW? I don't think it would. Granted they are good. I just don't think they are as good as history says.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I definitely think the Patriots have benefitted from a mediocre division.

But, if they weren't pretty good (meaning they only got into the playoffs because of the mediocre competition), they I'd guess they'd flame out as one-and-dones in the playoffs.

Didn't happen that way, so I'd say they were a pretty darned good football team all along... with the expected ups and downs on occasion.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Rmfnlt Home field advantage helps a lot. Like I said they are good. But are they dynasty good with a division that weak for over a decade?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Rmfnlt Home field advantage helps a lot. Like I said they are good. But are they dynasty good with a division that weak for over a decade?

Since Belichick's second season:
2001: 11-5 won super bowl :(
2002: 9-7
2003: 14-2 won super bowl
2004: 14-2 won super bowl
2005: 10-6 lost divisional
2006: 12-4 lost conference
2007: 16-0 lost super bowl
2008: 11-5
2009: 10-6 lost wild card
2010: 14-2 lost divisional
2011: 13-3 lost super bowl
2012: 12-4 lost conference
2013: 12-4 loast conference

3 super bowl wins, 2 super bowl losses and 3 trips to the conference finals.

To me, yes, that's a dynasty...

Man - I wish the Rams record since 2001 looked like that.

Kind of sore subject to me... I always felt like the Rams could have (should have) had a dynasty in the early 2000's. I won't go into why that didn't happen in my opinion.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So I was thinking about the Patriots being in the AFC East. Since 2001 only NE has appeared in a Super Bowl.

So are the Patriots as good as talking heads want to make them out to be or are they the benefactors of being in such a crappy division for so long?

Crappy division yes, good?.....they've had a good team.
However, IMHO the reason they've advanced as far as they have and as often, is pure and simple- Cheating simple as that.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Since Belichick's second season:
2001: 11-5 won super bowl :(
2002: 9-7
2003: 14-2 won super bowl
2004: 14-2 won super bowl
2005: 10-6 lost divisional
2006: 12-4 lost conference
2007: 16-0 lost super bowl
2008: 11-5
2009: 10-6 lost wild card
2010: 14-2 lost divisional
2011: 13-3 lost super bowl
2012: 12-4 lost conference
2013: 12-4 loast conference

3 super bowl wins, 2 super bowl losses and 3 trips to the conference finals.

To me, yes, that's a dynasty...

Man - I wish the Rams record since 2001 looked like that.

Kind of sore subject to me... I always felt like the Rams could have (should have) had a dynasty in the early 2000's. I won't go into why that didn't happen in my opinion.

The Rams might have a record that looked like that if they were not as adverse to cheating as they are.
Too bad the CHEATriots are not adverse to it.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The Cowboys sell the most stuff and they have been mediocre for years. So I don't know about conspiracy stuff.
The NFC East seems to be pretty balanced.

The Patriots started there run on the Rams back in 2001. No team in there division has challenged them in this time frame. The NFC West has been pretty balanced in this time frame.

As I said all four teams in the Rams division have been in a Super Bowl. You never know year to year who is going to bully there way to the top in the NFCW. Even when the division sucked. Very balanced division.

Are the Patriots as good as what history says or is it because of that shity division? Just feels like there so called dynasty was built on the Rams back but would it be a dynasty if there division was as balanced as the NFCW? I don't think it would. Granted they are good. I just don't think they are as good as history says.

That first one especially, I would call.....more theft, than the beginnings of a dynasty.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams might have a record that looked like that if they were not as adverse to cheating as they are.
Too bad the CHEATriots are not adverse to it.

The Patriots cheating is not why the Rams record for that time frame looks dramatically worse. ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

So are the Patriots as good as talking heads want to make them out to be or are they the benefactors of being in such a crappy division for so long?
I hate it that I have to wake up today and praise the seahawks and patriots. Someone shall pay for this injustice.

But. That team is coached very, very well. While the division is indeed garbage, and that helps, they do come prepared to play just about everyone. Fisher, for example, always gets waxed when he plays Bellyfat. And waxed badly too. That's something I need to see changed in the very near future.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

While I don't think there is a conspiracy as such - the Cowboys' memorabilia sales are irrelevant. They are the only team in the league NOT to be in the joint licensing.

That being said - I'd think that if memorabilia sales was the goal, the league would want variety at the top. The Patriots have already sold so much stuff that most of their fans already have some - they might want replacements at times - but how many Brady jerseys do you need, after all?

But actually, the schedule is pretty much set and predictable year after year, with the rotating divisions as opponents. There are even rules for home and away scheduling. There probably is a little leeway - but frankly, it's so hard to set the interlocking schedules for 32 teams that I doubt the NFL would waste time trying to benefit or screw any particular team. Especially with teams rising or falling so fast, it's unlikely to make much of a difference anyway. For instance, if the NFL was trying to benefit a team by giving them an expected crappy team like the '99 Rams it would have backfired badly. Better just to follow the rules and try to get things to work out in scheduling.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The Patriots cheating is not why the Rams record for that time frame looks dramatically worse. ;)

Very true. :)

But it is a reason NE's record looks as good as it does on paper.