About-face on Jason Smith?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
free-espn-insider.jpg

[wrapimg=left]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/12623.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false[/wrapimg]Back on Feb. 16, we linked to a report that indicated that the St. Louis Rams could cut ties with offensive tackle Jason Smith, the former No. 2 overall pick that is set to earn $10 million in 2012. If released, Smith would be one of the best -- if not the best -- options for teams looking for LT help this offseason, in spite of the fact that he slid over to RT for the Rams.

But before the LT-needy teams get too jazzed up, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has reported that the team is not necessarily ready to move on from the Baylor product just yet.

"We're looking forward to putting him in the program and developing him," new Rams GM Les Snead indicated, per Thomas. An even stronger indication came from fellow new addition Jeff Fisher.

"There's work that needs to be done, but that stuff's behind him now," Fisher noted. "I haven't actually had a chance to speak to the medical staff specifically about his condition. But there's no doubt in my mind that he'll return and be able to play."

The Rams are in an interesting spot: they currently have the No. 2 pick, and with Robert Griffin III racing to a 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine on Sunday morning, this will only increase the interest on the part of teams trying to trade up and grab him with that pick. Depending on whether they trade down -- and what the Minnesota Vikings do at No. 3 overall -- the Rams may still be able to draft OT Matt Kalil with their initial first-rounder. It's possible that the team could elect to cut ties with Smith if Kalil winds up in their lap. In this possible future reality, they could put the feelers out on a trade involving Smith, though Smith's contract (and injury history) may scare teams away.

- Tim Kavanagh

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Hard to tell what the intentions are toward him. They always spreak nicely of players this time of the year.

Hate just to throw him away, and would like to see him learn from another Oline coach. Just to see if there's a difference in his play. Just make him cap friendly.

But if I was Mr. Smith I would take my 33 mil. guaranteed and spend the rest of my life on a topless beach. Seeing some of these retired players coming forward with all the health issues from being concussed so often is scary.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
Hard to tell what the intentions are toward him. They always spreak nicely of players this time of the year.

Hate just to throw him away, and would like to see him learn from another Oline coach. Just to see if there's a difference in his play. Just make him cap friendly.

But if I was Mr. Smith I would take my 33 mil. guaranteed and spend the rest of my life on a topless beach. Seeing some of these retired players coming forward with all the health issues from being concussed so often is scary.
Yeah, it's hard to get a read on what's going to happen with him. If he didn't have the concussion history, and didn't get concussed so easily, maybe they could have some latitude with him. Move him around and find his fit (after restructuring his salary). But unfortunately, he does have those things and his salary doesn't give the Rams much room. I hope he sticks around and becomes a mainstay on the line, but my gut doesn't believe it.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I would like to see how he plays under a coaching staff. Maybe they can bring out his potential. That cap number is a killer tho.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
I would like to see how he plays under a coaching staff. Maybe they can bring out his potential. That cap number is a killer tho.
I think he'd probably improve under a new staff that pushes him hard. The issue though is that he takes one crack to the noggin and he's out for 7 weeks. Know what I mean? He could progress to a level that's elite, but it just doesn't seem like durability is his strong suit right now. I'd like to hope those concussions were flukes and whatnot, but they seemed to happen too easily for my comfort. Shame, really. And that has to be in the back of the minds of Fisher, McGinnis and Schottenheimer right now. Unless they're super-optimistic or something.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
libertadrocks said:
I think he'd probably improve under a new staff that pushes him hard. The issue though is that he takes one crack to the noggin and he's out for 7 weeks. Know what I mean? He could progress to a level that's elite, but it just doesn't seem like durability is his strong suit right now. I'd like to hope those concussions were flukes and whatnot, but they seemed to happen too easily for my comfort. Shame, really. And that has to be in the back of the minds of Fisher, McGinnis and Schottenheimer right now. Unless they're super-optimistic or something.

Yeah I know what youre saying. Those concussions are concerning and need to be seriously considered when the FO determines how to proceed with him

I guess in a lot of ways I dont fully understand what he is going through. I have taken a lot of hard hits, although certainly not NFL hard, and never wound up with a concussion. How an OT with no previous concussion history ends up with 2 concussions so bad they end his season kinda baffles me(the hit he took last year was fairly frightening tho)

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:

Yeah I know what youre saying. Those concussions are concerning and need to be seriously considered when the FO determines how to proceed with him

I guess in a lot of ways I dont fully understand what he is going through. I have taken a lot of hard hits, although certainly not NFL hard, and never wound up with a concussion. How an OT with no previous concussion history ends up with 2 concussions so bad they end his season kinda baffles me(the hit he took last year was fairly frightening tho)

They're pretty bad. Especially since after you get one, you're more vulnerable to get more of them. I got them from playing hockey when I was younger, and in the military I was even more vulnerable to them when large blasts went off. It's pretty bad, I still get headaches and stuff now easier than most people. 10 minutes under fluorescent lights and I'll have a headache most of the day. When you're still recovering from them, you are sensitive to light, noise, exercise, etc.